November 10, 200817 yr Seems like Krag is in a similar situation as Rich Brooks was 3 years ago. I can see where some would want to draw similarities between Brooks and Krag, but to me, it doesn't quite fit because of the differences in the positions they came into. The only thing that is similar is that the majority of the fans are wanting their coach's scalp. I see it as more justified with Kragthorpe than Brooks because he inherited a program that was seemingly on the rise. Brooks on the other hand was basically dealing with a program that was practically death penalty like. Tom Jurich is culpable in this charade. He personally signed off on the Willie Williams deal, which to me created an aura of win at all costs mantra. Now if Jurich is standing by Kragthorpe because of the supposed inherited mess he came into, then Jurich is too blame as well, because to me, based on his actions he was fostering an atmosphere that was tolerant of knuckleheads. Jurich has a lot at stake with Kragthorpe if you ask me. I was trying to think of some coaches who got canned quickly after following a fairly successful coach. Off top I could only come up with the coach at K-State who followed Snyder, but they had slipped his last year and Prince was only given three years and he reached a bowl one year and is now getting booted at the end of the year. I think it would be tough to can Krag after this season but someone should be accepting the arrows flying Krags way. How long do you give Kragthorpe? I don't see things getting much better next year. They need this year and a bowl pretty badly. It would not shock me to see them beat UC next week.
November 10, 200817 yr Card fans just need to hang in there. Krag is a great leader and a solid coach. You take any team and give them the injuries plus off the field issues that Louisville has had, then see where they stand. UL have showed that they can handle the adversity, but its like they have just had some tough breaks along the way. Even though two or three years ago the Cards were normally in the National Title conversation at least once a season, they are still not too far from getting back to an elite level. Another couple of good recruiting years, another proven stud QB, and more years in Krags system without all the injuries and drama and Louisville will be back to being the Louisville we all came to expect.
November 10, 200817 yr I'm not giving up. Just having a real hard time drinking the grape juice right now.
November 10, 200817 yr I'm not giving up. Just having a real hard time drinking the grape juice right now. If it were fermented, you'd have no problem at all.
November 10, 200817 yr I know there are those on here that don't support him, and I can live with that. I do have a few comments. The kids, the administration, and Coach Pitino are behind him 100%. As far as Pitino goes, while it normally wouldn't mean much, he knows what it takes to be a great leader, and he feels that Krags is just that. He's not required to say so, if he didn't say so, he'd be quiet about it. As Louisville fans, we have no choice but live with growing pains. These kids will get better, all the while they will lay an egg here or there. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely disappointed with the results at times, but we are resolved to enjoy when they play lights out. They have proven they can do so. Let's all stand behind Krags for at least the rest of this season, and next, and see what he can do with HIS team, PLEASE. Great post. :thumb: I was one who defended Brooks on here while many thought I was an idiot. I just thought it only fair that he be given a chance to bring in his players and get through the probation, loss of schollys and the lack of recruiting from the prior staff (no offense to Morris, but he was not a good recruiter, ... great guy, but, ...). I feel it only fair that Kragthorpe get the same chance. I think he will do it and do it the right way if given a chance! He appears to be a class act. However, it is not the same as the UK situation, but still I think he deserves a chance.
November 10, 200817 yr You don't think Pitino would be selfish enough to want to keep this guy so that UL is again primarily a BASKETBALL school? :sssh::devil: Actually, Pitino is a smart man, realizes that a successful football program will help him recruit by keeping the universities name out in the national public domain. He knew that at KY and has always supported football programs. He helped to fundraise for the Lex Cath football program when none of his kids even played football there. I believe that any smart coach would want both programs to succeed.
November 10, 200817 yr I can see where some would want to draw similarities between Brooks and Krag, but to me, it doesn't quite fit because of the differences in the positions they came into. I agree completely. UofL fans may WISH it was the same situation, but taking over a team coming off a BCS bowl vs. a perennial loser thats on probation are two totally different things. The "getting rid of bad apples" thing doesn't work with me either. I don't remember all the bad apples before Krag showed up, and even if they were, they were winning games. As a UK fan though, I'd encourage them to keep him as long as possible.
November 10, 200817 yr The only difference is that UK has an irrational, unrealistic fan base that pre-maturely wants its coach fired...er, wait...scratch that. Looks like UK fans aren't that unique after all...
November 10, 200817 yr If it were fermented, you'd have no problem at all. You know me so well. :lol::lol::lol:
November 10, 200817 yr Outside of the fact that Krag was handed a team coming off a BCS win and Rich was handed one coming off probation :thumb: No comparison. Kragthorpe was put into a good situation, and has failed miserably. No getting around that. It's a fact. He has done a awful job. Brooks was given an awfuls situation, and has made it a good one. It took him time, but it was really bad.
November 10, 200817 yr I was just going to say the same thing.....I was as critical of Brooks as anyone on BGP, and he continues to prove me wrong. Give this man a chance. He has great discipline, character, and pedigree. He will right the ship. Difference is that Brooks was limited in what he could do due to NCAA sanctions. I don't think Kragthorpe walked into an empty cupboard. Petrino left behind a mess, but the two are very different, IMO. The situation that Kragthorpe walked in to is completely different than Brooks' situation when he first arrived. I don't know much about Kragthorpe. I do know that Louisville has had a lot of off-the-field problems recently; however, I don't attribute that to Kragthorpe nearly as much as I do to Bobby Petrino. I have heard the differences between Petrino & Kragthorpe, and I can assure you that many UL fans would have been disappointed with Bobby. And that many of you should be thankful for having Kragthorpe at the helm now.
November 10, 200817 yr I'm feeling left out, like an oddball. So, just so I can fit in, and just in case you missed it... The difference in Brooks and Kragthorpe is... 1) Rich Brooks coaches at Kentucky. Steve Kragthorpe coaches at Louisville. 2) They have completely different players. 3) They're in different conferences. 4) Brooks resides in Lexington, Kragthorpe in Louisville. 5) The primary color of each team is different...UK is blue, U of L is red. 6) The mascots are different...Wildcats for UK, Cardinals for U of L. 7) Louisville borders Indiana. Lexington is the middle of the state. 8) Mitch Barnhardt is Brooks' boss. Tom Jurich is Kragthorpe's. That about wraps it up, I think. Did I forget anything? Oh yeah...one more thing. Rich Brooks inherited a terrible situation...bad team, losing tradition, probation, scholarship reduction...while Kragthorpe inherited a team coming off an Orange Bowl victory (a team that nearly earned a berth in the title game) and a program at its peak with plenty of talent in place. If somebody already mentioned that last one, I apologize.
November 10, 200817 yr I must remain neutral on this subject. But I will say some wins would be nice.
November 11, 200817 yr I've bit my tongue so much on the subject of Kragthorpe, I may not have much of a tongue left after this season.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.