Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NFL to investigate "Bounty" on Steelers

Featured Replies

I don't think suspending players for hurting people is over the top. That's not what I said. I think it's a little over the top to go back and make suspensions based off what one of the players said. If the NFL investigates and determines that there was indeed a "bounty", then maybe. There's no place for that in any sport, and I already said that in my original post.

 

Suggs may not have even been involved in the play when Mendenhall was injured. I don't know, as I didn't see the play.

 

I have no problem with the league suspending players who are intentionally hurting others and admit to it; however, Suggs' is a professional football player, not a politician or somebody who gives speeches on a regular basis. I'm hoping that it was just a poor choice of words by a guy who has gotten by with his physical attributes more so than his mental capacity & eloquence.

 

And injuring someone in an NFL football game would probably NOT be a criminal act.

 

I disagree with you. If you set a bounty and then have people head-hunting to intentionally take someone out (endangering their season and/or career) that is very criminal.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bounty - what are these guys thinking about. The whole thing about placing a bounty on someone is criminal to begin with. If you did that out in the real world called life you'd be in a jail cell.

"If I'm a defensive lineman that's getting paid minimum (salary) to play this game, or a little bit lower salary, and I can earn an extra $500, shoot, you know what? That might inspire me to do more," Kitna said.

 

This certainly isn't the first time Kitna was aware of such things happening in an NFL locker room.

 

"I've heard of things in my past where, hey, if there's a tackle inside the 20 on a kickoff or something like that, they will throw $100 into the pot or whatever," Kitna said. "I don't know. It's nothing that I've seen in a long time."

 

The league's rule against bounties was written mainly to prevent teams or players from rewarding teammates for injuring opposing players, something that has been a league-wide concern in the past.

 

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/11/21/sports/professional/21_01_3111_20_07.txt

Here are a few lines about Suggs:

 

Suggs agreed recently with a syndicated sports radio talk-show host who asked if the Ravens had a bounty on Mendenhall, the Steelers' rookie halfback who was knocked out for the season when Ray Lewis tackled him and broke his shoulder Sept. 29 in Heinz Field.

 

"The bounty was out on him and the bounty was out on 86 [Ward]. We just didn't get him between the whistles," Suggs said.

 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08297/922151-66.stm

 

Here are a few lines about Ray Lewis (who is obviously proud of his accomplishments):

 

Lewis mentioned nothing about a bounty but he did relish ending Mendenhall's season, according to Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick in his column in the Oct. 20 issue.

 

"The force was freaking incredible," Patrick quotes Lewis about the tackle. "After the play, I wasn't screaming, 'He's hurt.' I was screaming, 'He's done.' "

Wonder what Ward was saying after he hit Keith Rivers last week?

  • Author
Wonder what Ward was saying after he hit Keith Rivers last week?

Nothing, simply smiling.

Here are a few lines about Suggs:

 

Suggs agreed recently with a syndicated sports radio talk-show host who asked if the Ravens had a bounty on Mendenhall, the Steelers' rookie halfback who was knocked out for the season when Ray Lewis tackled him and broke his shoulder Sept. 29 in Heinz Field.

 

"The bounty was out on him and the bounty was out on 86 [Ward]. We just didn't get him between the whistles," Suggs said.

 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08297/922151-66.stm

 

Here are a few lines about Ray Lewis (who is obviously proud of his accomplishments):

 

Lewis mentioned nothing about a bounty but he did relish ending Mendenhall's season, according to Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick in his column in the Oct. 20 issue.

 

"The force was freaking incredible," Patrick quotes Lewis about the tackle. "After the play, I wasn't screaming, 'He's hurt.' I was screaming, 'He's done.' "

 

Wow. After reading those quotes, I'd agree that something needs to be done.

 

I have no problem with a hit that is somewhat vicious but within the rules, much like Hines Ward on Keith Rivers; however, injuring somebody and then celebrating is absolutely uncalled for and unprofessional.

I knew you would come around CC!

  • Author
You must have good hearing :sleep:

You're right, I couldn't hear what he said for the collective OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH! that rang throughout the stadium when the hit occurred and each time it was replayed on the jumbotron.

You're right, I couldn't hear what he said for the collective OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH! that rang throughout the stadium when the hit occurred and each time it was replayed on the jumbotron.

 

:sleep::sleep::sleep:

  • Author
:sleep::sleep::sleep:

You're once again correct. That is exactly what Rivers was doing,,,,,sleeping.:sssh:

If it is between the whistles and a clean hit then I don't see the issue. Now if they are taking late hits or obvious cheap shots then....

You're once again correct. That is exactly what Rivers was doing,,,,,sleeping.:sssh:

 

On SNAP! Game. Set. Match.

 

The Ravens are goons. After reading that quote from Ray Lewis makes you wonder how he got off scott free for that murder. Anyone who relishes injuring another human being is a sick person.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.