Marijuana Legalization

Where do you stand on marijuana laws?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand on marijuana laws?

• They aren't strict enough!
    • They are perfect how they are.
    • I'm for the legalization of medical marijuana only.
    • Im for the decriminilization of marijuana. Still illegal, but isn't punished (Amsterdam).
    • I'm for complete legalization!
    • Undecided

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused: I'm a little confused on decriminalization. Why would something still be considered illegal if punishment for breaking the law is removed? Punishments are put in place as a deterrant to those people considering doing something illegal, correct? Can anyone help me out on this?

ANNUAL AMERICAN DEATHS CAUSED BY DRUGS

TOBACCO ........................ 400,000

ALCOHOL ........................ 100,000

ALL LEGAL DRUGS ................ 20,000

ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS .............. 15,000

CAFFEINE ....................... 2,000

ASPIRIN ........................ 500

MARIJUANA ...................... 0

----------------------------------------

Source:

National Institute on Drug Abuse,

Bureau of Mortality Statistics

Alcohol prohibition did not work, and there is no logical reason to believe that marijuana prohibition is a better idea.

There have been over eight million cannabis arrests in the United States since 1993, including 786,545 arrests in 2005. Cannabis users have been arrested at the rate of 1 every 40 seconds. About 88% of all marijuana arrests are for possession - not manufacture or distribution. (FBI Uniform Crimes Report) ------------I would much rather my tax dollars go to keeping a child rapist in jail rather than a pot head.

Why not legalize it and tax it?

:confused: I'm a little confused on decriminalization. Why would something still be considered illegal if punishment for breaking the law is removed? Punishments are put in place as a deterrant to those people considering doing something illegal, correct? Can anyone help me out on this?

I was a little confused on that as well. I think you miss recess or something if you get caught :lol:

How does Amsterdam deal with weed these days ?

My answer may surprise a few people who have read some of my posts in P&R. Once upon a time, I would have argued to keep marijuana illegal. However, over the years I have changed my position and believe marijuana should in the least be decriminalized and potentially even legalized and taxed in the same manner as tobacco and alcohol. Most people don't realize just how much of the cost of tobacco and alcohol products can be attributed to federal, state, and local taxes. Just add marijuana to this list. You'll add tax revenues to the coffers of multiple government agencies, reduce prison overcrowding, and take considerable business away from drug dealers.

I would also go even further to say I have no problem with someone who wants to grow a plant or two for his own personal consumption. If you want to sit on your porch, catch a buzz and enjoy yourself so be it as long as you stay off the roads (just like the rules of alcohol consumption).

I think that legalizing it would lead to much more harmful drug use. I know lots of people who have done, or do smoke marijuana, solely because it is illegal and they like the rush of doing something "they aren't supposed to". Take the dope away from the dope dealers, and they start dealing the hard stuff IMO.

I think that legalizing it would lead to much more harmful drug use. I know lots of people who have done, or do smoke marijuana, solely because it is illegal and they like the rush of doing something "they aren't supposed to". Take the dope away from the dope dealers, and they start dealing the hard stuff IMO.

If that was the case the would have moved on to "harder" drugs by now. I think people like that just do it for a little head change and get loose and forget about problems. JMO.

While not a popular stance in the "legalize it" camp, what I saw in Amsterdam makes your point. There were plenty of dealers on the street pushing what wasn't sold on the "up and up". And from what the locals told me, they were pushing false product for profit.

Very interesting debate when you get to the core of things...

If that was the case the would have moved on to "harder" drugs by now. I think people like that just do it for a little head change and get loose and forget about problems. JMO.

Not really, because they know they can essentially be breaking the law and not risk harming themselves. If they didn't have that option, they would probably be doing other more harmful things.

Not really, because they know they can essentially be breaking the law and not risk harming themselves. If they didn't have that option, they would probably be doing other more harmful things.

I would think those users you speak of are in the distinct minority though I have no data to support my argument.