Marijuana Legalization

Where do you stand on marijuana laws?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand on marijuana laws?

• They aren't strict enough!
    • They are perfect how they are.
    • I'm for the legalization of medical marijuana only.
    • Im for the decriminilization of marijuana. Still illegal, but isn't punished (Amsterdam).
    • I'm for complete legalization!
    • Undecided

Thanks. Didn't expect you to answer the question. And you DEFINITELY missed my point. But that's ok, I'll give my rebuttal.

The government should only limit choices that harm others. When used responsibly marijuana causes no harm to others...just as many, many legal choices.

When driving at 100MPH responsibly, it causes no harm to others, should we be allowed to drive at 100 MPH. The only time it hurts someone is if there is an accident. Similar to argument you guys make that the only time someone gets hurt with marijuana is if they continue to other drugs, they steal from someone to feed their habit, etc, etc.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all comes down to responsibility.

How responsible does the government think we are ? ANYTHING can be used in an irresponsible way to cause harm to ones self or others.

Baseball Bats - Primarily used for playing baseball. If I wanted to be irresponsible with one, I could use it as a murder weapon.

Pillows - They make sleeping much more comfortable. I suppose if I wanted to use one irresponsibly, I could smother someone to death with it.

Tylenol - Great for headache relief. If I wanted to be irresponsible, I could swallow several bottles and kill myself.

Alcohol - Some people are able to drink the stuff and have a completely responsible, fun night. Some choose to act irresponsibly, abuse it and drink and drive among other irresponsible acts.

Marijuana - Some could use it the way the use alcohol. Some would inevitably abuse it.

My point is,anything used in a way that it was not intended to be used can cause trouble. Some people just aren't responsible enough to enjoy some things. Should we all be punished for this ?

This is the part that really bothers me. By government standards, I wasn't responsible enough for my own money to gamble with it before I turned 21. I was however responsible enough to fight in a war the day I turned 18. I was responsible enough to use a weapon in order to take another mans life.

No you weren't.

But they trained you till you were.

They will not provide similar training on the issues you raised. Big difference.

When driving at 100MPH responsibly, it causes no harm to others, should we be allowed to drive at 100 MPH. The only time it hurts someone is if there is an accident. Similar to argument you guys make that the only time someone gets hurt with marijuana is if they continue to other drugs, they steal from someone to feed their habit, etc, etc.

When practicing religion responsibly nobody gets hurt. When killing someone in the name of god, someone gets hurt (I'm sure you will glance over this as well). You can put anything in your argument and still get the same results. It is not the choice someone makes, it's someone making an irresponsible choice.

Thanks. Didn't expect you to answer the question. And you DEFINITELY missed my point. But that's ok, I'll give my rebuttal.

The government should only limit choices that harm others. When used responsibly marijuana causes no harm to others...just as many, many legal choices.

I would go for that because we could then stop abortions with that mindset.

When practicing religion responsibly nobody gets hurt. When killing someone in the name of god, someone gets hurt (I'm sure you will glance over this as well). You can put anything in your argument and still get the same results. It is not the choice someone makes, it's someone making an irresponsible choice.

So, everything should be legal then as it is the people doing it that is the problem not the act itself?

You would have fit in well with the 60's and early 70's. The generation that has really screwed this country up.

"It is revolting to have no better reason for a rule of law than that so it was laid down in the time of Henry IV. It is still more revolting if the grounds upon which it was laid down have vanished long since, and the rule simply persists from blind imitation of the past."

- A quote from Holmes, in 1920.

Not attributed to marijuana, but property interests; nonetheless, I found it fairly accurate. :D

You know, I think Bill Hicks said it best:

“If you don't think drugs have done good things for us, then take all of your records, tapes and CDs and burn them. Cause you know what? The musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Real f****** high on drugs."