If you could pick anyone who would it be?

One I thought of was from here in VA, Mark Warner. He did a very good job of fixing the mess that Jim Gilmore left in the state and worked well across the aisle with both parties. He was tauted a little a year ago but Warner is running for Senate now vs. Gilmore of all people. (It's to replace John Warner {Rep and no relation})

I like Warner a lot at this stage of his career.

I'm gonna do a few here and give an overall winner.

As far as politicians go, I would probably pick Ron Paul as he is the person most closely aligned with my views that might have a chance of winning. I could get behind a Mark Sanford presidency as well, though he has publicly stated he isn't running for anymore offices. I may not agree with all he says, but I think he would have a very viable chance of winning. And of course a Bob Barr presidency would suit me just fine.

Some other names that I think could honestly make a helluva run at it would be Drew Carey and Clint Eastwood. From interviews I've read on both of them, I almost always agree with their positions on political issues. I could see both of them (especially Clint) having the name recognition to make a viable run at the White House.

As far as BGP goes, CCH5432 and I tend to agree on most issues. I would glady support his run for POTUS. But if I'm not mistaken he is still in school and probably isn't old enough (I have actually totally forgotten the age requirement, but I'm sure it's not your early twenties). Having said that, I tend to agree with HHS, Hearsay, and Fastbreak quite a bit and would proudly vote for any of them. Finally, Rockmom and I hardly agree on an issue, but with her convictions and intelligence, I still feel I could vote for a tree-hugger in the instance that she ran...;).

Overall, if I could pick anyone it would be my grandfather, while we would disagree on a lot (he only shares about 50% of my libertarian views), his guidance and decision making are second to none.

As far as a viable candidate (my grandfather has turned down several pushes to run for public office)...I would really love to see Drew Carey or Clint Eastwood do the actor to politician transformation. I'm not positive on who I would rather have, Mr. Eastwood hasn't been as open as Mr. Carey on specific issues, but his overall stance is less government and to leave people alone. So until I learned more on Mr. Eastwood, I'd have to say Drew Carey in 2008!

I'm gonna do a few here and give an overall winner.

As far as politicians go, I would probably pick Ron Paul as he is the person most closely aligned with my views that might have a chance of winning. I could get behind a Mark Sanford presidency as well, though he has publicly stated he isn't running for anymore offices. I may not agree with all he says, but I think he would have a very viable chance of winning. And of course a Bob Barr presidency would suit me just fine.

Some other names that I think could honestly make a helluva run at it would be Drew Carey and Clint Eastwood. From interviews I've read on both of them, I almost always agree with their positions on political issues. I could see both of them (especially Clint) having the name recognition to make a viable run at the White House.

As far as BGP goes, CCH5432 and I tend to agree on most issues. I would glady support his run for POTUS. But if I'm not mistaken he is still in school and probably isn't old enough (I have actually totally forgotten the age requirement, but I'm sure it's not your early twenties). Having said that, I tend to agree with HHS, Hearsay, and Fastbreak quite a bit and would proudly vote for any of them. Finally, Rockmom and I hardly agree on an issue, but with her convictions and intelligence, I still feel I could vote for a tree-hugger in the instance that she ran...;).

Overall, if I could pick anyone it would be my grandfather, while we would disagree on a lot (he only shares about 50% of my libertarian views), his guidance and decision making are second to none.

As far as a viable candidate (my grandfather has turned down several pushes to run for public office)...I would really love to see Drew Carey or Clint Eastwood do the actor to politician transformation. I'm not positive on who I would rather have, Mr. Eastwood hasn't been as open as Mr. Carey on specific issues, but his overall stance is less government and to leave people alone. So until I learned more on Mr. Eastwood, I'd have to say Drew Carey in 2008!

Thanks a lot, and back at you. I agree with your choices, but I have heard nothing about Carey or Eastwood, I'd like to see where you saw that if possible.

Sanford is a good choice. He is popular is SC as well, from the limited amount I saw when I lived there. Bobby Jindal would be good, but his support of castration for sex offenders is disturbing. Tom Coburn wouldn't be bad either, from what I know of him.

My top choice, looking back, is Ron Paul as well. I deeply, deeply regret not supporting him. As bad as it sounds, while I mildly support the war in Iraq, I wouldn't mind being out of it, either. It's not that I don't care about the troops, just I don't have the mentality that the world is ending, and it all rests on if we are there or not. I think being in Iraq and not being Iraq are both going to cause problems, and they will have to be dealt with either way.

Anyways, in terms of BGP choices, here is what I came up with a few weeks ago:

I could formulate some great ones from BGP-

Hearsay- Pres

HHSDad- VP

PepRock- Sec. of Def

LN- Attorney General

FKYWrestler- Sec. of the Treasury

Habib -Sec. of State

HootGibson- Sec. of Energy

Then I'd combine the Department of Labor back into the Department of Commerce, and make myself head of it (partially because I hardly know what that role does). :lol:

However, I'd only accept being in Hearsay's cabinet if he promised to appoint Covercorner as the next member of the United States Supreme Court because of his excellent knowledge of the Constitution. I'd also require that H would be in there somewhere, for his excellent (while sometimes annoying :p) well-thought out opposing viewpoint. And maybe Clyde as well.

Thanks a lot, and back at you. I agree with your choices, but I have heard nothing about Carey or Eastwood, I'd like to see where you saw that if possible.

Here is a little about Drew Carey. Much of this is taken from an interview in Reason magazine. The fact that he gave an interview to Reason should speak volumes about his libertarianism.

My Grandfather was the first that told me about Clint Eastwood having libertarian views. Here is something from the advocate as well on Clint Eastwood. You asking this question has led me to come across a few recent articles where he briefly discusses politics.

Likens '08 Election to Oprah Car Giveaway.

Eastwood hints at supporting Palin.

Interview from the Guardian where he calls himself a Libertarian.

I already knew about him running for mayor, but it is still pretty cool.

Eastwood's no-nonsense libertarian streak became newsworthy in 1986 when, bogged down by red tape when he wanted to expand his restaurant (Hog's Breath Inn) in Carmel, California, he announced that he was running for mayor. He won with a 72% landslide, and his two years as Mayor reduced the city's regulations, had sidewalks put in on city streets, and got a library annex built that city elders had been bickering about for decades. And then, in a move more politicians should emulate, he declined to run for a second term.