Newport Central Catholic 37 Simon Kenton 15

NCC06

SK scored first after NCC turnover then NCC put on an offensive clinic scoring 31 unanswered points before half. I knew NCC had a lot of offensive weapons but was still surprised by the score. 37-8 before NCC subs took over.

And did that work ?

It worked very well in the first half when they mixed in the pass. In the 3rd, it worked ok. They were giving Chris Kelly a lot of carries, I suppose, to get his legs back from his downtime due to injury. Chris ran very hard, but SK knew what was coming. I will say that it was great to see Parr score his first TD after all the things he's been through trying to get back on the field. He's going to be a weapon.

SK had no blocking from their from O line and very little penetration from their D line. That is it in a nut shell. Hopefully the staff will see this and make the changes that need to be made. Their are a number of younger players on that team that can do the job needed on the lines

The Breds running game is very good. SK knew that they were going to run and still could not stop it. Another thing that I noticed is that the Breds have a lot of high snaps again this year, but Kues is learning to deal with them. Kues speed this year is exceptional, just another weapon in that backfield.

Simon suffered a huge blow to their line when their starting nose guard and center Craig Schadler went down with an injury 2 weeks ago. Simon had no push up the middle, numerous high or bad snaps, and to be perfectly honest didn't pass block anybody all night. NCC backs ran extremely hard. Without the D Line providing much resistance the S.K linebackers who are a young tough bunch were giving up alot of yards after contact. It is a good opening game for both teams to prepare for district play.

grapplehead,

Is Schadler also the center?

I didn't see the game, but I had a feeling that SK would have some trouble defending the Breds' wide open attack. I still think the Neers will be OK, they really need to let this loss exit their minds, a win over DH could give this team some confidence.

Schadler is also the center. The pressure up the middle was intense. NCC has good size up front and they lived in the backfield all night long. Schadler will probably be out about 4-6 weeks and the injury occurred a couple of weeks ago. Miles, T.J , and Pat carried the ball pretty evenly I'd say. IMO they should run the option. Move Jordan (fullback) to the line and get Chad Lawrence some touches somehow. Pat is such a good athlete you could play him at QB, RB, and WR just to get Lawrence some touches on offense. Vision is very limited at S.K but imagine the possibilities with our skill athletes if you had a Urban Meyer type mind calling the plays. ????????

Edited by Ram
Rule 13