Elliott is Beach Bound

Nice article in the August 6th Ashland Daily Independent about Elliott being invited to the Myrtle Beach Beach Ball Classic from 26-31 December 2008 by Rocky Stanley.

Tournament Exective Director John Rhodes says that they always try to get the Number 1 or Number 2 team from KY each year. He compares this Elliott County team to the 1987 Richie Farmer led Clay County team that won the State and played in the Beach Ball Classic. He believes they will be a crowd favorite and that the fans will fall in love with them. He also notes that 5 of the 10 NBA All Star Starters from 2 years ago played in this tournament. He notes that such players as Kobe Bryant, Jason Kidd, Kenny Anderson, Mike Bibby, and Kevin Garnett have played in this tournament. A who's who of coaches is usually in attendance and even Michael Jordan usually attends.

Here is the link for the article:

www.dailyindependent.com/localsports/local_story_219232456.html

All the winners bracket games are broadcast live on their website for those that won't be able to attend.

Elliott will get some great competition that will prepare them for a possible run in March. Of course getting away from snow and below freezing temperatures isn't bad either. :lol:

Congrats to Elliott Co. :thumb:

Here is a link to the tournament website:

http://www.beachballclassic.com/Home/tabid/58/Default.aspx#Chamber-HGTC

I would love to see Elliott Co matched up with Arlington Country Day. They are from Jacksonville, FL and have won 4 straight state titles. They are one of only 5 schools in Florida history to win 4 straight basketball titles.

All the winners bracket games are broadcast live on their website for those that won't be able to attend.

Elliott will get some great competition that will prepare them for a possible run in March. Of course getting away from snow and below freezing temperatures isn't bad either. :lol:

Congrats to Elliott Co. :thumb:

Here is a link to the tournament website:

http://www.beachballclassic.com/Home/tabid/58/Default.aspx#Chamber-HGTC

I would love to see Elliott Co matched up with Arlington Country Day. They are from Jacksonville, FL and have won 4 straight state titles. They are one of only 5 schools in Florida history to win 4 straight basketball titles.

ACD also has the #22 player in the country in senior to be Wally Judd who had already committed to play at Kansas St over offers from Maryland, Ohio State, Villinova, Virginia, West Virginia, and Georgetown.

ACD also has the #22 player in the country in senior to be Wally Judd who had already committed to play at Kansas St over offers from Maryland, Ohio State, Villinova, Virginia, West Virginia, and Georgetown.

I am from Florida and ACD does have ALOT of talent every year. It is funny that I see people complaining about the situation at Scott County and even Holmes. ACD get kids from as far south as Miami & Puerto Rico, and as far north as Washington DC which is actually where Judge is from and played AAU ball for the DC Assault, as did a new kid they just got in a 6-4 guard ranked number 79 in his class. And one wonders why they have won 4 in a row in one of the 2 lowest classes out of 6.

I am from Florida and ACD does have ALOT of talent every year. It is funny that I see people complaining about the situation at Scott County and even Holmes. ACD get kids from as far south as Miami & Puerto Rico, and as far north as Washington DC which is actually where Judge is from and played AAU ball for the DC Assault, as did a new kid they just got in a 6-4 guard ranked number 79 in his class. And one wonders why they have won 4 in a row in one of the 2 lowest classes out of 6.

They have big time problems playing anyone in Jacksonville since no one will schedule them for alleged issues. They have also come under scrutiny for how much traveling they do during the year, turning into alleged recruiting trips across the country.

They do beat teams that would qualify as 6A, but there is no question they might not have one all those state titles in a row if they were playing big schools. They dominate the small school tournament for obvious reasons.

BUT I don't want to get the thread sidetracked, ACD plays great basketball on the court and would be a great test for Elliott.

They have big time problems playing anyone in Jacksonville since no one will schedule them for alleged issues. They have also come under scrutiny for how much traveling they do during the year, turning into alleged recruiting trips across the country.

They do beat teams that would qualify as 6A, but there is no question they might not have one all those state titles in a row if they were playing big schools. They dominate the small school tournament for obvious reasons.

BUT I don't want to get the thread sidetracked, ACD plays great basketball on the court and would be a great test for Elliott.

I agree ACD does play great basketball, it was just funny when I saw all of the uproar about guys moving from in state to play at certain places when here in Florida we deal w/schools that get them from out of state and even out of country. We have one school (Montverde Academy) who openly recruits, BUT doesn't play for the state championship, so I have no problem with what they do. ACD on the other hand keeps schools like say an Elliott County who has players who have played together for many many years from the same small location from ever even having a chance to win a small school state title. Oh well enough of my soapbox. Congrats to Elliott, they will do well. :banana: