Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should the KHSAA be concerned about players' weight?

Featured Replies

I've been following the discussion about kids being so much bigger these days. I'm a skinny runt, but some of my kin on the Mrs.' side are rather big boys that played high school football in another state and that discussion got me thinking.

 

The question to ponder: Since the KHSAA is obviously concerned about the safety of the kids playing sports and has imposed various rules and rule changes as a result of safety concerns (I believe that was the justification given for moving the start of the season back a week), should the KHSAA impose a rule (after consultation with the medical group or association in Ky) stating that if a player's body fat index is above a certain level, that player cannot play, or should they simply leave it up to the player's physician and permit the kid to play if the kid passes the physician's physical?

 

If you believe the latter, should a physician that passes a obviously fat kid with a high body fat index, be responsible if that kid then experiences severe health problems while playing football (or some other high school athletic activity)?

 

Hemlock anyone?

Oh boy. I'd be hesitant to task the KHSAA with this. How about the parents? It seems to me if there is any question as to a players health, their parents (guardians), family physicians, trainers, and coaches should be the ones making this sort of judgement.

Let's see if I have this right:

 

A kid is overweight, and we're discussing whether to remove him from a motivating exercise/conditioning activity...?

 

 

No hemlock, thanks. But I could go for a nice Merlot, about 2003.

Each participant in a KHSAA sanctioned program, is required to have a yearly GE04 physical examination form, completed and on file.

 

The information contained, is quite extensive and Medical History questions are asked, with a yes or no response required. There is also a Physical Exam section, which covers various items and noted as either normal/abnormal, with comments. Once the physician has reviewed all the data gathered, he/she then make 1 of 4 "recommendations" for participation.

 

(1) Cleared

(2) Cleared, after additional evaluation for

(3) Restricted from participating

(4) Cleared only to participate in

There is also a recommendation/restriction section.

 

On this same form, the parent/guardian sign and they are acknowledging agreement for participation and it's very detailed, on inherent risk.

KHSAA, no.

 

Holding schools accountable to serve proper nutrional meals, YES. It is an absolute joke at the food served at many high schools.

KHSAA, no.

 

Holding schools accountable to serve proper nutrional meals, YES. It is an absolute joke at the food served at many high schools.

 

Two Excellent points.

The libertarian in me says the KHSAA should not be involved and that is the physician/parents call. But I can see the other side of the issue also. The KHSAA mandates, via the heat index, when practice and games could be held. Couldn't it likewise be argued that such a decision is best left to the coaches to decide and the KHSAA should not be involved? Me, I think the KHSAA should be involved in the heat index issue. So I am admittedly somewhat being hypocritical on my position involving the body fat index.

 

And to respond to Socrates' follow up question: heck yes the phyician should be sued and held liable if he/she allows an overweight kid to play football and the kid suffers a stroke or a heart attack.

 

As to Bluto: if the physical activity/conditioning is unsafe due to the excessive weight, then the physician and parents should not let them participate. Put the kid on a diet and make him engage in exercise that is less strenuous on the heart than practicing in 90 degree heat in full pads. The ineligibility to play football just might motivate a kid to lose some fat. When he does so, then he can play football again.

Each participant in a KHSAA sanctioned program, is required to have a yearly GE04 physical examination form, completed and on file.

 

The information contained, is quite extensive and Medical History questions are asked, with a yes or no response required. There is also a Physical Exam section, which covers various items and noted as either normal/abnormal, with comments. Once the physician has reviewed all the data gathered, he/she then make 1 of 4 "recommendations" for participation.

 

(1) Cleared

(2) Cleared, after additional evaluation for

(3) Restricted from participating

(4) Cleared only to participate in

There is also a recommendation/restriction section.

 

On this same form, the parent/guardian sign and they are acknowledging agreement for participation and it's very detailed, on inherent risk.

 

You are correct. A question for you: do you think the physicians that provide these physicals have a good understanding of what goes on these days in football practice, conditioning wise and fully appreciate the impact on the heart of practicing in full pads in the heat? Some probably do if the physician is the team physician, but a lot of kids go to their family doctor for the physicals, which doctors are not the team physician. Do you think the physicans attempt to shift the risks involved in participation to the parents is good?

 

While I agree with the concept that this is not a KHSAA matter, I am concerned with the health issues of these ever increasing bigger and bigger kids and I'm not sure that the physicians are fully appreciating the issue. Maybe instead of the KHSAA becoming involved, the KMA should place more emphasis on the issue with its physicians.

You are correct. A question for you: do you think the physicians that provide these physicals have a good understanding of what goes on these days in football practice, conditioning wise and fully appreciate the impact on the heart of practicing in full pads in the heat? Some probably do if the physician is the team physician, but a lot of kids go to their family doctor for the physicals, which doctors are not the team physician. Do you think the physicians attempt to shift the risks involved in participation to the parents is good?

 

While I agree with the concept that this is not a KHSAA matter, I am concerned with the health issues of these ever increasing bigger and bigger kids and I'm not sure that the physicians are fully appreciating the issue. Maybe instead of the KHSAA becoming involved, the KMA should place more emphasis on the issue with its physicians.

Very good point, that many Physicians are usually family doctors and not familiar with the sport of choice or the team. I don't think they look to put the emphasis back on the parents, but rather are doing an evaluation of the current physical condition, of the student-athlete.

 

I'll throw this out, that I'm guessing many parents, sign the GE04 and not really look at it very close. They usually ask Dr. "Is everything okay", then make a copy for the Coach, on the day before the first practice.

 

We as parents, need to make sure of proper nutrition and mandate, students have some type of physical conditioning, prior to playing a sport.

You are correct. A question for you: do you think the physicians that provide these physicals have a good understanding of what goes on these days in football practice, conditioning wise and fully appreciate the impact on the heart of practicing in full pads in the heat? Some probably do if the physician is the team physician, but a lot of kids go to their family doctor for the physicals, which doctors are not the team physician. Do you think the physicans attempt to shift the risks involved in participation to the parents is good?

 

While I agree with the concept that this is not a KHSAA matter, I am concerned with the health issues of these ever increasing bigger and bigger kids and I'm not sure that the physicians are fully appreciating the issue. Maybe instead of the KHSAA becoming involved, the KMA should place more emphasis on the issue with its physicians.

 

I mean no disrespect to the physicians that conduct these physicals, but often times these physicals are not what we consider a true sports physical and they do not fully evaluate the health of our student athletes. The ones in Murray are free to those that sign up and there are normally a few hundred kids that come in and they are run through rather quickly. I am sure the docs are meeting the minimum criteria for conducting a physical; but there is a big difference in a true sports physical and what the majority of kids receive prior to each school year.

I think a performance enhancing drug test should be given as part of this physical and passed by the student athlete prior to participation. I believe performance enhancing drugs are much more prevalent in HS sports (especially football) than many care to acknowledge.

I do not think that the KHSAA should be involved in determining the health of every football, or every athlete, in the state. This is a physician, parent, and coach matter. The physician is liable for clearing a child to play if that child is not physically able, the parents know the child better then anyone and knows what the child is capable of doing and used to doing, and the coach evaluates the player in practice and should know if the player needs more conditioning or dieting.

I mean no disrespect to the physicians that conduct these physicals, but often times these physicals are not what we consider a true sports physical and they do not fully evaluate the health of our student athletes. The ones in Murray are free to those that sign up and there are normally a few hundred kids that come in and they are run through rather quickly. I am sure the docs are meeting the minimum criteria for conducting a physical; but there is a big difference in a true sports physical and what the majority of kids receive prior to each school year.

 

I agree.

 

Has anyone out there ever seen a kid fail a sports physical? I have never heard of it happening.

I agree.

 

Has anyone out there ever seen a kid fail a sports physical? I have never heard of it happening.

 

I have heard of it, but only on rare occasions. One in particular that I remember was that a MD doing a routine sports physical thought something did not sound right on the patient's heart. Sent for testing. Determined a previously undiagnosed heart condition. The kid had to sit out 1 year until the condition was considered under control and not a risk.

Oh boy. I'd be hesitant to task the KHSAA with this. How about the parents? It seems to me if there is any question as to a players health, their parents (guardians), family physicians, trainers, and coaches should be the ones making this sort of judgement.

 

:thumb: :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.