Favorite games

Mason County hasn't had the tradition or the success from the standpoint of championships that some others have. That being said, here are my favorites (win or lose) I've seen involving the Royals.

1. 11/14/03 - Mason County 21, Rockcastle County 19; 2nd round of AAA playoffs

2. 11/21/04 - Mason County 44, Ashland 21; 3rd round of AAA playoffs (Grutza with 6 TDs, I think)

3. 11/04/2005 - Mason County 19, Rockcastle County 20. The game was about 15 seconds too short for the Royals

4. 11/28/04 - Mason County 14, Highlands 21. Trip to the state championship game on the line. BOY WAS IT COLD...

5. 10/19/07 - Mason County 26, Russell 27 (OT). Royals go for 2 and come up short in OT with home field advantage in the playoffs up for grabs.

Games 1, 2 and 4 were all in 2003.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've witnessed...

1. Prestonsburg vs. Belfry (2004 Reg. Season Game) - Cars parked for along US 119, stadiums at capacity, and the two best teams in 2A squaring off. Game went to overtime with Belfry winning 20-14.

2. Prestonsburg vs. Mason County (2001) - Prestonsburg defeats the favored Mason County Royals after a game winning Chris Spriggs interception... P-burg won 18-13.

3. Prestonsburg vs. Belfry (2004 Playoff Game) - Much like #1, Vipperman Stadium was electric for this one especially after what most seen during the regular season between the two, and people stood 4 rows deep on the sideline, they also sat on the hillside as the stadium was jam packed... Belfry proved that they were too strong as they defeated P-burg 28-12.

4. Prestonsburg vs. Sheldon Clark (2006 Reg. Season Game) - Prestonsburg's Seth Moore nails a 41 yard field goal to tie it up and send it to overtime were Prestonsburg prevailed as the better team.

5. Prestonsburg vs. Breathitt County (2004) - Prestonsburg upsets the #1 team in 2A 41-29 in Jackson.

1. LaRue County 21, Corbin 20, 2001 Class 2-A playoffs -- LaRue wins in overtime at home to avenge a loss to Corbin the year before. Great game that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

2. Lexington Catholic 62, Franklin County 28, Nov. 16, 2005 -- Lopsided game by score, but the teams combined for 1,100 total yards of offense.

3. Lexington Catholic 44, Franklin County 38, 2006 Class 3-A playoffs -- Franklin County led 32-7 at halftime, only to watch Catholic come roaring back in the second half. To this day, it amazes me how Catholic was able to come back like that.

4. Moore 48, Elizabethtown 44, Oct. 4, 2007 -- Back and forth game. Moore's backfield tore E'town secondary up that night. Don't see how E'town lost that game, but it didn't matter in the playoffs when E'town beat Moore, 35-0.

5. St. X 31, Meade County 3, 2007 Class 6-A playoffs -- Meade County had an amazing run last season, and I was there on the sidelines to see it come to an end. Meade never quit in that game, but they just couldn't stop X.

Trinity 21 - 7 Boone Co. (1994 Class 4A title game).....

This game was huge in that Trinity was a huge underdog, and brought the hammer to Boone with a big KO return to open the game. Compound that with Coach Lampley telling the seniors this was his last game (right after the cointoss), this game was magical, and it returned the magic to Trinity football.

1. Trinity vs Male 2002 / Brohm vs Bush (nuf said)

2. North Laurel 26 Madison Central 23 (double OT) 2005 (biggest upset in state that year per the Lex HL)

3. Laurel County 23 Lafayette 21 - 1980 (George Adams sr season, Lafayette led 13-0 within the first 4 minutes and the Cardinals clawed back for the win)

4. Scott Co 22 North Laurel 15 - November 2004 (The Cardinals ended up state runnerup and was supposed to maul the Jaguars in this first round game)

5. North Laurel 26 South Laurel 21 (2003) - (Jordan Brown hit freshman Chris Cessna for the game winning TD and ended a 7 year losing streak the Jaguars had to the Cardinals)

2 games come to mind right off hand.

1. East Carter vs. West Carter 1987. West had taken the barrell away from us in 1986 for the first time since the schools began playing each other. My senior team brought the barrell back to where it belongs. :banana::banana:

2. East Carter vs. West Carter 1989. 48-0 bench clearing brawl in the 4th quarter. East won. (The fight and the game).

1999- When Boyle Co. took it out on Middlesboro something like 64-14 in the semis.

2001- Boyle Co. had to go to Hopkinsville for a semifinal game and came away with the win. One of the best games I seen by two great teams.

And lastly back in 2003 the game with Highlands at Boyle, I think Boyle won by a point. What a game that was by two football powerhouses.

There are some awesome memories in my mind....

- - when Highlands beat us to start the Beatty era...you could see a life in that team...we lost, were getting throttled for awhile, but you could "feel" something...CR noted the Elder game in '02, and that was probably one of the biggest wins in our history....follow that with our win over X in the '03 final, Brohm's last game.

Kentucky High School football is sensational...it literally has brought us all together.

2001 LexCath vs Male ( defending 4 A champs with Bush, Barclay, etc), beat em, ranks up there in excitement after a considerable rain delay

2003 Lex Cath vs St X beat em

2004 Lex Cath vs Boyle Co beat em, the best atmosphere ever....

2005 Lex Cath vs. Highlands beat em, very cold and the defense won it

2006 LexCath vs. Cov Cath, we lost, but still a fun game to watch

State champoinship games were great but pale in comparison to these...