Another transfer from Newport?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I heard about Ilg brothers leaving--not sure what impact they made in football, but I know they were an integral part of the wrestling team. Unfortunately, another big loss for Newport. I didn't hear their reason for leaving. Hopefully, they weren't "shopping" for another school and their transfer is due to a legitimate change of address. I'm sure the KHSAA will make sure of this before declaring them eligible for the upcoming seasons.

Newport has lost several athletes an the latest is the Ilg brothers to Campbell County Jake Ilg a Sr. an Nate a Jr. both football an wrestle. How does a small school like Newport build a program that will keep kids there?

We've been fighting those demons at Ludlow for a long time.:madman:

• 4 weeks later...
B.Housley, N.Ilg, J.Ilg, G.Pangallo,these are the one's I hear have transfered.

It's only four. Wouldn't say it's a mass exit. However, the problem seems to be they are quality athletes. No one would notice if they were just the average joe.:rolleyes:

Seems like its been happening quite a bit since around 2000 or so. Some kids that come up thru the Newport system think they are too good to go school and play sports at Newport when they get to high school. Not saying this is the case with the kids recently because I dont know them personally and have no clue what their reasons for leaving are but I know this used to be the case.

What is G Pangallos first name ? Is it Grant from NCC?

No, Grant is Jimmy's boy and he went to St. Therese prior to NCC.

I am not positive but the only other G in the Pangallo family that starts with that letter is probably Gino.

I think that a lot of these kids have the talent but some parents look at the academics. Newport academic level has been dropping and in fact IMO I believe a lot of inner city schools academics have dropped tremendously with the state labeling kids with this IEP. Some type of a so-call learning disability that educators have labeled IMO lazy students - basically kids that just don't care. Now, maybe there are few kids out there that deserve this IEP label but from what I've seen of some of these kids they are just flat out lazy and don't care. This IMO makes things harder on a student that is out there trying to make the grades and have to watch another student getting passed on through school.

I think that a lot of these kids have the talent but some parents look at the academics. Newport academic level has been dropping and in fact IMO I believe a lot of inner city schools academics have dropped tremendously with the state labeling kids with this IEP. Some type of a so-call learning disability that educators have labeled IMO lazy students - basically kids that just don't care. Now, maybe there are few kids out there that deserve this IEP label but from what I've seen of some of these kids they are just flat out lazy and don't care. This IMO makes things harder on a student that is out there trying to make the grades and have to watch another student getting passed on through school.

IMO its all up to the kids as far as the academics part. There are good teachers down there but its up the to kids to take advantage. You get out of it what you put in. If want to learn then you will. If you dont then well your not going to.

I'm a Newport grad myself and I'll tell you, it gets harder and harder each year to hear about all this talent that just won't play for the football team. Its a lot of thing's but mostly laziness and no discipline. Not naming names but I know of a couple of young men who could step in and really make a difference on this football team if they could just get their head straight.:madman:

IMO its all up to the kids as far as the academics part. There are good teachers down there but its up the to kids to take advantage. You get out of it what you put in. If want to learn then you will. If you dont then well your not going to.

I agree with you 100% - there are a lot of good teachers at Newport. A lot of good ones have left too. IMO one of the biggest problems is that a lot of these kids just don't care and they still manage to get passed through the system. Not just at Newport - also at a lot of other schools.