Is buying a "hybrid" vehicle the way to go?

letabrotherspeak

Curious. I like my SUV and more and more companies are starting to roll out hybrid SUV's, but I really don't know that much about hybrids.

I am probably going to be in the market for one within the next two years.

Advantages?

Disadvantages?

I'm not an expert on Hybrids by any means. I've also been looking into buying one.

It seems the major complaint with them is the life of the batteries and the high costs to replace them.

I am still driving my first car and I am going to be wanting a new one here in the next couple of years. I haven't really gotten to the point where I am looking yet, like I am sure you too are. But, I am trying to convince myself that the next car I am going to own will by a hybrid.

From some of the things I have read, ethanol is not all that it is cracked up to be.

Subsidizing farmers in some markets is ridiculous...whole other tangent.

Ethanol is not nearly as efficient as regular gas.

If you filled your tank up with E-85 gas...the amount of corn that companies use to produce one full tank, can be used to feed one person an entire year.

Use of corn for ethanol is driving corn products up like crazy.

I believe that the cost of a purchasing, maintaining a hybrid would be very high. I don't know. I haven't been shopping for any vehicle lately. Also, as with anything it seems to me that whenever something new (or fairly new) comes out that there are always some problems with it. What I mean is I may look at a hybrid later and let the factory get the problems worked out. I am not in the market for another vehicle right now, I am just not so sure on the hybrid thing.

I guess if were all that worried about Al "Green Global" Gore I would rush out and buy one :D.

What I really would like to see is all of these oil companies quit putting it to all of us. I would really like to see our lawmakers pass drilling on our own soil, we are sitting on top of a main step to a solution to the oil problem. JMO. Sorry, I didn't mean to get off on a P&R type thing :lol:.

Back to the hybrids, I wouldn't rule it completely out I am just not all that sure about them and would need to know more before I would make that decision.

My understanding is that if you're buying a hybrid to save the world, thats fine.

If you're buying a hybrid to save money, the cost of the hybrid outweighs the savings on fuel.

Depends on what cars you're comparing them too. A recent study shown by Yahoo shows that the Toyota Prius saves a ton of money on gas per year compared to other cars...Let me see if I can find the article.

My understanding is that if you're buying a hybrid to save the world, thats fine.

If you're buying a hybrid to save money, the cost of the hybrid outweighs the savings on fuel.

Right! If you are buying a hybrid to save the world, then all the power to you. But the added cost of around 10k for say a hybrid Camry versus the regukar Camry is nowhere near worth it. Sure you will get better MPGs, but $10,000 worth? And most of the batteries in the hybrids are guaranteed for 5 years and the cost to replace them is outrageous!

Depends on what cars you're comparing them too. A recent study shown by Yahoo shows that the Toyota Prius saves a ton of money on gas per year compared to other cars...Let me see if I can find the article.

The comparison is hybrid to same vehicle but not a hybrid. The price difference between the Honda Civic and the Honda Civic Hybrid is far greater than you could hope to recover over the life of the vehicle, especially when you factor in M&R.

Right! If you are buying a hybrid to save the world, then all the power to you. But the added cost of around 10k for say a hybrid Camry versus the regukar Camry is nowhere near worth it. Sure you will get better MPGs, but $10,000 worth? And most of the batteries in the hybrids are guaranteed for 5 years and the cost to replace them is outrageous!

The comparison is hybrid to same vehicle but not a hybrid. The price difference between the Honda Civic and the Honda Civic Hybrid is far greater than you could hope to recover over the life of the vehicle, especially when you factor in M&R.

Both of these comments are a couple of the comparisons that I was wondering about and speaking of in my earlier post. Thanks. :thumb:

In addition, much of my commute to work is on the highway. 12 of the 16 miles is on I-75.

Hybrid commercials rarely if ever show you fuel mileage on the highway.

Comparison of facts based on 2 vehicles of the same make and model, but one being the hybrid of the other. Mileage and MSRP from Toyota.com. LBS provided the scenario.

160 highway miles per week X 52 Weeks = 8320 highway miles per year

Assume worse case scenario with the Standard Camary by using city mileage.

Standard Camry MSRP $19635.00

8320 miles/21 miles per gallon = 396.2 gallons of gas

396.2 gallons * $4 per gallon = $1584.80 per year spent on gas

Assume best case scenario with the Hybrid Camry

hybrid Camry MSRP $26365.00

8320 miles/34 miles per gallon = 244.7 gallons of gas

244.7 gallons * $4 per gallon = $978.8 per year spent on gas

After 10 years of use (83,200 miles) ....

Standard Camry Investment $19635 + $15848.00 (gas) = $35483.00

Hybrid Camry Investment $26365 + $9788.00 (gas) = $36,153.00

If you buy the Hybrid version, after 10 years your are still short $670.00 of what you would have spent for the standard Camary. Feel free to play with the numbers, I did this in a hurry. However, even at $10 dollars a gallon, you still take almost 5 years to make up the difference in the initial investment.

You will get various opinions on maintanece, but reality is that the batteries will last around 8 to 10 years. Toyota warranties their batteries for 8 years / 100,000 miles. Camry batteries run between $5,000 and $8,0000 including installation labor. Hybrid advocates claim that standard maintenance is less, especially in the braking system. While this savings on brake maintenance is true, it is offset by the increase wear on the transmission system and the cost of maintaining it.

Hybrids are not for people who drive a lot of highway miles. That's when their gas engine is running. But if you do a lot of city driving, consider the hybrid. Actually, taxis would be the perfect application for hybrids. They're also using them on city buses.