Is buying a "hybrid" vehicle the way to go?

letabrotherspeak

Are there any car salesman on here.. word is its a year waiting list on the Prius... that should speak for itself. I am seeing them all over and saw them all over in NYC. There even adding solar panels too them. I was doing a solid 75 on the highway today and one stayed lane to lane with me. They have enough power but prob wont drag race.

My in-laws have a Hybrid Camry and they love it. It routinely gets 38-40 mpg in the city. And you are forgetting the tax break you get for purchasing certain Hybrids. They got a $2600 tax break for their Camry. They also did not pay $36k for it either. They have power everything, sunroof, all the extras except for leather seats and ground effects and paid less than 30k. Anyway they will tell you- except for the loss of trunk space- it was an investment well worth it.

Hybrids are not for people who drive a lot of highway miles. That's when their gas engine is running. But if you do a lot of city driving, consider the hybrid. Actually, taxis would be the perfect application for hybrids. They're also using them on city buses.

Louisville has been replacing older buses with hybrids for several years now. We don't have very many yet, as they cost (I think) at least double a "regular" bus. But, I do know that's what they've been buying to replace buses.

Pretty cool buses!

It used to be worth it.

You got a tax break that made it start saving u money in 4 years. The tax was worth $6,000.

Now you do not get the tax incentive, so no.

I should note they bought theirs in 2006. I wasn't aware they had done away with tax breaks.

I'll drive my truck and my SUV until a law is passed telling me I can't.

I worked, therefore I play!!!!!

Hey if people can afford it they should drive whatever they want. Unfortunately I'm not in that situation. We are going to have get rid of my wife's car soon and get something more economical- we simply can't afford to keep it because of gas.

Louisville has been replacing older buses with hybrids for several years now. We don't have very many yet, as they cost (I think) at least double a "regular" bus. But, I do know that's what they've been buying to replace buses.

Pretty cool buses!

That is great news... I was just in NYC they had hundreds of hybrid buses I was shocked...in a good way. Then again I never ride a bus here.

That is great news... I was just in NYC they had hundreds of hybrid buses I was shocked...in a good way. Then again I never ride a bus here.

Speaking of bikes...you can now transport your bike on a TARC. :p

Granted, technically they only allow 2 at a time on the front rack. However, I've been on buses, where if it isn't croweded, they let an additional bike on, keeping it in the aisle up front.

OOps...I misspoke. Louisville has 9 hybrids in circulation, 3 planned, and also bought 11 diesel buses.

The cost for a Hybrid is 525K, vs 325k for a diesel bus.

There is a bill passed by the House of Representatives, and sent to the Senate, that would potentially mean 4.6 M for TARC over the next two years, and increases the federal match from 90% to 100% on the purchase of hybrids. Given that the 2009 budget for TARC is 69.9M, I'd say that it's safe to say won't be able to completely switch to hybrid anytime soon.

However, if what HHSDad is saying is accurate (and I don't doubt it is), then the diesel buses would be a more economical choice for the express trips that TARC operate that use I-64, I-264 and I-65. So, it makes sense to keep some.