Who has (or maybe more appropriately, who doesn't have) a cell phone?

leatherneck

Do you have a cell phone?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a cell phone?

• Yes, I only have a cell phone.
    • Yes, and a land-line too.
    • No, but I do have a land-line phone.
    • Phone? What is this "phone" you speak of?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last 2 places I have lived I had to have a land line, because of lack of service. Everybody I know has a cell phone except a few old guys I know that play in a local card game with, there major reason is lack of service at their home/farm.

I have 3::eek::eek:

Personal phone

Company supplied phone

China Cell

Both my sons have cell phones.

I have no idea how my parents kept up with me or had any piece of mind during my teenage years when I wasn't at home.

For most they are a waste of time and money. And I'm starting to think they are the final nail in the coffin of polite society.

The call waiting plan on a land-line irritates me more than public cell phone use.:jump:

For most they are a waste of time and money. And I'm starting to think they are the final nail in the coffin of polite society.

A side issue, probably worthy of another thread, but why is it rude to be on a cell phone in a restaurant having a conversation? I know cell users at time can be rather loud, but I've sat next to plenty of tables during my lifetime where the "live" conversations were as loud if not louder than the phone conversations. To me it makes zero sense to ban cell phones in restaurants. I can see telling people on cells to quiet it down, but then again, then again, its been a rare situation where I obvserved restaurant people to ask live conversations to quiet it down. Is there a double standard? Is there a snob factor acting as the driving force behind the ban of cell phones?

A side issue, probably worthy of another thread, but why is it rude to be on a cell phone in a restaurant having a conversation? I know cell users at time can be rather loud, but I've sat next to plenty of tables during my lifetime where the "live" conversations were as loud if not louder than the phone conversations. To me it makes zero sense to ban cell phones in restaurants. I can see telling people on cells to quiet it down, but then again, then again, its been a rare situation where I obvserved restaurant people to ask live conversations to quiet it down. Is there a double standard? Is there a snob factor acting as the driving force behind the ban of cell phones?

I have given this a lot of thought and analyzed it the same way you have. Why does it bother me to hear someone on their cell phone when it is no louder than any other conversation?

The reason is because we are only getting one side of the conversation and it is usually an obviously unimportant call. It is impossible to use your cell phone in a crowd without looking like a rude jerk.

I got my first cell phone in 1992 and it was mounted in my wife's mini-van. It was for safety only as she was carting around our young family.

Now we have 5 cell phones and I have 4 Verizon Wireless Broadband cards for internet access on laptops (some are for work).

Text messaging is an awesome way to keep in touch with my kids but I enforce limits on the phone usage. We were driving down the highway one day and my 15 year old was furiously texting away. I asked him who it was and he replied, "I don't know...someone." I responded that the phone is mine....I pay for it and he is close to seeing it fly out the window. He then told me who it was (and it was innocent) but I still grounded him from it for a week. My kids know that their phones (and email and IM) are subject to my review at anytime. They can live with that or do without them.

Personally, my cell phone is for my convenience. I used to take my wife's call regardless of the circumstances but she now knows to text message me and I will respond.

If it is not the perfect time for me to talk, I will not answer it. Leave a message.....I will call you back.