Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best Manager in baseball?

Featured Replies

I am speaking of the current managers, in my mind no one will compare to Sparky Anderson but I was wanting some opinions on who the best manager/manager's are in MLB today?

 

In no certain order just yet I will list.......

 

Jim Leyland (Detroit)

Terry Francona (Boston)

Joe Torre (L.A.)

Joe Maddon(T.B.)

Mike Scioscia (Anaheim)

Lou Pinella (ChiCubs)

Bobby Cox (Atlanta)

 

I will come back and try and list them in order. Getting far too sleep now, lol.

Joe Torre

Sweet Lou

Ozzie Guillen

Joe Maddon

You have to put Tony LaRussa on the list given what he has done this year and of course in the past also

  • Author
You have to put Tony LaRussa on the list given what he has done this year and of course in the past also

 

I agree. I had forgotten him. Larussa certainly belongs on the list. I cannot stand the jerk but he belongs on anyone's "best of" list when it comes to Managers'.

I am speaking of the current managers, in my mind no one will compare to Sparky Anderson but I was wanting some opinions on who the best manager/manager's are in MLB today?

 

In no certain order just yet I will list.......

 

Jim Leyland (Detroit)

Terry Francona (Boston)

Joe Torre (L.A.)

Joe Maddon(T.B.)

Mike Scioscia (Anaheim)

Lou Pinella (ChiCubs)

Bobby Cox (Atlanta)

 

I will come back and try and list them in order. Getting far too sleep now, lol.

 

 

 

Pretty good list. Of course, the Main Spark will always be at the top for me. I notice that Mr Baker is conspicuously absent from your list(and mine). Larussa always seems to have his teams right there among the elite. I would include him as well.

LaRussa and Jim Leyland have to be the top of the list.

Just barely below would be:

Sweet Lou

Bobby Cox the next level with

 

Joe Torre needs to show success at LA before I would include him with the four names above.

I would agree with LaRussa, Leyland and Cox in any order.

LaRussa and Jim Leyland have to be the top of the list.

Just barely below would be:

Sweet Lou

Bobby Cox the next level with

 

Joe Torre needs to show success at LA before I would include him with the four names above.

 

 

I agree with this list. Also, I believe Ron Gardenhire from the Twins is very good.

  • Author
Pretty good list. Of course, the Main Spark will always be at the top for me. I notice that Mr Baker is conspicuously absent from your list(and mine). Larussa always seems to have his teams right there among the elite. I would include him as well.

 

I had forgotten about the man who invented baseball (Larussa) and acknowleged that in an earlier post, he certainly belongs on the list. As for Mr. Baker, I beleive that there is a very good reason why he did not make my, yours or I don't think anyones list :D.

 

I also agree on "The main Spark", "Captain Hook" or just plain ol' Sparky, if he ain't in a class by himself then it sure as heck doesn't take long to call the roll;):thumb:.

How do you judge?

Lou Pinella

Bobby Cox

Tony LaRussa

Terry Francona

Joe Torre

Joe Maddon

Mike Scioscia

Ozzy Guillen

 

This year I can't put Leyland on there because his team has that much talent and is just at .500 after a big win streak and is far back in the division.

Reasonable arguments can be made for (as well as against) any of those on the list but I'll stick w/ my man Francona & see what happens. I like his track record to date...

 

:thumb:

Being a Braves fan my heart says Bobby Cox. While Bobby Cox is propably the best manager for dealing with professional athletes their are a few better baseball minds in the game. Mike Scioscia is the best baseball mind without a doubt. His team plays the game how it was meant to be played. They move runners from first to third more than any team in the game. They put pressure on the defense by challenging every throw. With the decline of the long ball you are going to see more managers take this approach.

Larussa has to be a top the list. I know I am a Cardinal homer, but still look at his team this year and what they are doing. The Cardinals play the game right. They execute better then anyone. Plus he has delt with TWO player deaths. Darryl Kyle and Josh Hancock. When Kyle passed in 02 they made it to the NLCS, and last year when Hancock passed they were 1 game back in September afetr a terrible first half. IMO, the credit goes to Larussa. Also IMO, not a better 1-2 combo then Larussa and Duncan.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.