Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best Manager in baseball?

Featured Replies

I preface this by saying I am a Yankee fan.

 

I think the list starts with Joe Torre.

 

Joe Torre

Jim Leyland

Bobby Cox

Tony LaRussa

Terry Francona

Ron Gardenhire

Lou Pinella

Ozzie Guillen

Mike Scioscia

Bruce Bochy

I preface this by saying I am a Yankee fan.

 

I think the list starts with Joe Torre.

 

Joe Torre

Jim Leyland

Bobby Cox

Tony LaRussa

Terry Francona

Ron Gardenhire

Lou Pinella

Ozzie Guillen

Mike Scioscia

Bruce Bochy

 

Good list, I never understood why Bochy left SD for SF. He had a good thing going at SD.

  • Author

In order from my list.......

 

1. Joe Torre (a lot say look at wh he had, I say look at how he managed all of those ego's along with Steinbrenner and most of all, look at the rings.)

2. Jim Leyeland/Tony Larussa (sucsess wherever they have been)

4. Lou Pinella

5. Terry Francona

6. Bobby Cox

7. Mike Socia

 

( I believe that Joe Girardi will be on my list soon, the Yankees have definately had a bad year this year though, will wait and see on him. Girardi has done an excellent job elsewhere)

Larussa has to be a top the list. I know I am a Cardinal homer, but still look at his team this year and what they are doing. The Cardinals play the game right. They execute better then anyone. Plus he has delt with TWO player deaths. Darryl Kyle and Josh Hancock. When Kyle passed in 02 they made it to the NLCS, and last year when Hancock passed they were 1 game back in September afetr a terrible first half. IMO, the credit goes to Larussa. Also IMO, not a better 1-2 combo then Larussa and Duncan.

He should be great. After all, he did invent the game... :rolleyes:

When people ask me what really makes a good manager, I say two words: good players. . . . All that strategizing stuff is overrated. Games are won or lost by how well the players play, not how the manager manages. -Yogi Berra

He should be great. After all, he did invent the game... :rolleyes:

 

Really?:eek: Wasn't aware he did. One thing I am aware of is he wins, 3rd all time...

Any list that doesn't have Tony LaRussa on it should automatically be thrown away.

 

I think you've got to have Jim Leyland, Tony LaRussa & Bobby Cox at the top. Joe Torre is up there too, but I hate the Yankees and he hasn't done squat with the Dodgers.

  • Author
He should be great. After all, he did invent the game... :rolleyes:

 

:laugh::laugh::thumb: I can't stand him either but he is very good.

  • Author
Any list that doesn't have Tony LaRussa on it should automatically be thrown away.

 

I think you've got to have Jim Leyland, Tony LaRussa & Bobby Cox at the top. Joe Torre is up there too, but I hate the Yankees and he hasn't done squat with the Dodgers.

 

This is Torre's first year with the Dodgers and I just looked and he has them to within 1/2 game of the lead in the West, they (Dodgers) are also just now getting everyone back and healthy.

As for the Yankees, you hating the Yankees shouldn't have anything to do with how Torre can manage. I beleive his record there speaks for itself (along with the rings ;)) Check my post #18 as for imo the reason why...

Any list that doesn't have Tony LaRussa on it should automatically be thrown away.

 

I think you've got to have Jim Leyland, Tony LaRussa & Bobby Cox at the top. Joe Torre is up there too, but I hate the Yankees and he hasn't done squat with the Dodgers.

 

Or his stop(s) before the Yankees.

Maybe for another thread but in a 162 game season how many more wins would a good manager account for over a bad one?

  • Author
When people ask me what really makes a good manager, I say two words: good players. . . . All that strategizing stuff is overrated. Games are won or lost by how well the players play, not how the manager manages. -Yogi Berra

 

:thumb: Here are a few quotes on manger's by Sparky Anderson........

 

"A baseball manager is a necessary evil."

 

"Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."

 

"I don't believe a manager ever won a pennant. Casey Stengel won all those pennants with the Yankees. How many did he win with the Boston Braves and Mets? I've never seen a team win a pennant without players. I think the only thing the manager has to do is keep things within certain boundaries."

 

"If a team is in a positive frame of mind, it will have a good attitude. If it has a good attitude, it will make a commitment to playing the game right. If it plays the game right, it will win—unless, of course, it doesn't have enough talent to win, and no manager can make goose-liver pate out of goose feathers, so why worry?"

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.