Reds sign 16 year old top prospect?

LRCW

Yorman Rodriguez has been touted as the top position player in this class for some time. His selling point is a rare combination plus-plus speed and plus-plus raw power. He’s a five-tool talent with an outstanding frame, athleticism, and defensive tools, but like most July 2nd hitting prospects, he gets a wide range of reviews on his ability to hit.

The common refrain on a raw bat are heard with Rodriguez: lunges at the ball, trouble identifying breaking pitches, trouble with high level stuff, questionable approach, and 5 o’clock power (batting practice only). Some players grow out of it, some never adjust, so the team that gets Rodriguez believes in his ability to make adjustments.

He has all the elements of a star centerfielder. He’s been compared to Miguel Cabrera for his powerful bat and Venezuelan bloodlines, but more athletic comparisons like Cesar Cedeno, Eric Davis, or a right-handed hitting Carlos Beltran seem more apt. That being said, Rodriguez, or any of the hitters below him, could go to the GCL and hit .180 for three seasons and make everyone look stupid, but those kind of comparisons let you know why teams will pay him and that the tools are for real.

There are rumors that since his agent has stopped shopping him around that a deal has been struck and the Reds are rumored to be that team—another team new to being a major player on the international scene, spending $2.0 million in March on 16 year old power-hitting OF Juan Duran, and have already spent $3-4 million this season on pre July 2nd prospects

http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/06/27/july2ndothers/#more-249

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yorman Rodriguez has been touted as the top position player in this class for some time. His selling point is a rare combination plus-plus speed and plus-plus raw power. He’s a five-tool talent with an outstanding frame, athleticism, and defensive tools, but like most July 2nd hitting prospects, he gets a wide range of reviews on his ability to hit.

The common refrain on a raw bat are heard with Rodriguez: lunges at the ball, trouble identifying breaking pitches, trouble with high level stuff, questionable approach, and 5 o’clock power (batting practice only). Some players grow out of it, some never adjust, so the team that gets Rodriguez believes in his ability to make adjustments.

He has all the elements of a star centerfielder. He’s been compared to Miguel Cabrera for his powerful bat and Venezuelan bloodlines, but more athletic comparisons like Cesar Cedeno, Eric Davis, or a right-handed hitting Carlos Beltran seem more apt. That being said, Rodriguez, or any of the hitters below him, could go to the GCL and hit .180 for three seasons and make everyone look stupid, but those kind of comparisons let you know why teams will pay him and that the tools are for real.

There are rumors that since his agent has stopped shopping him around that a deal has been struck and the Reds are rumored to be that team—another team new to being a major player on the international scene, spending $2.0 million in March on 16 year old power-hitting OF Juan Duran, and have already spent $3-4 million this season on pre July 2nd prospects

http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/06/27/july2ndothers/#more-249

Sounds like they're describing Wily Mo Pena.

Sounds like they're describing Wily Mo Pena.

I don't remember Wily Mo ever having plus, plus speed. Like the article said, the kid could turn out to be another Cesar Cedeno, Eric Davis, or Carlos Beltran, or he could hit .180 for three years in A ball. You never know, but I like the Reds aggressiveness with these young kids.

I don't remember Wily Mo ever having plus, plus speed. Like the article said, the kid could turn out to be another Cesar Cedeno, Eric Davis, or Carlos Beltran, or he could hit .180 for three years in A ball. You never know, but I like the Reds aggressiveness with these young kids.

He was considered a 5 tool player when he was in the minors. Here's a note from his bio:

* In 2001 had 26 homers and 26 stolen bases at Class A Dayton, one of only three minor league players to record at least 25 homers and 25 stolen bases last season (Class AA Midland's Jacques Landry, 36HR/37SB & Class AA Reading's Marlon Byrd, 28HR/32SB).

He was considered a 5 tool player when he was in the minors. Here's a note from his bio:

* In 2001 had 26 homers and 26 stolen bases at Class A Dayton, one of only three minor league players to record at least 25 homers and 25 stolen bases last season (Class AA Midland's Jacques Landry, 36HR/37SB & Class AA Reading's Marlon Byrd, 28HR/32SB).

There's a big difference between Wily Mo speed, and Eric Davis speed. This kid obviously has Eric Davis speed since they rate him as having plus plus speed.

The worry I have is the age. Is the kid really 16? I guess even if he is 19, it is still a great signing, but I hate that the kids from Latin America are told to lie about thier age.

Otherwise, he sounds great! Good luck to him and the Reds!

There's a big difference between Wily Mo speed, and Eric Davis speed. This kid obviously has Eric Davis speed since they rate him as having plus plus speed.

Either way he sounds like Wily Mo. Maybe a faster Wily Mo but his hitting, and that's going to be all that really matters anyway, sounds like Wily Mo. Hopefully he isn't rushed like Pena and is willing to work harder because it sounds like he's got plenty to work on--and with.

Didn't Wily Mo beat Freel in a foot race? I think he was the fastest player on the team.

Did I misread or did they say that is the second 16 year old kid they have signed this season? Whats the deal with these kids? Do they go strait to rookie league?

They signed 16 year old Juan Duran a few months ago, I believe.