Hopefully In My Lifetime...

We get a political system that is more about running the country than getting elected. As it stands "We The People" are hamsters in a wheel, and the cycle still seems very far from any chance to correct itself.

Talking points, peer pressure, party "loyalty", flip flopping, scandal, drugs, affairs, interns and so much "more".

Yuck. Make it stop. And it's not even close to November.........

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We get a political system that is more about running the country than getting elected. As it stands "We The People" are hamsters in a wheel, and the cycle still seems very far from any chance to correct itself.

Talking points, peer pressure, party "loyalty", flip flopping, scandal, drugs, affairs, interns and so much "more".

Yuck. Make it stop. And it's not even close to November.........

I know you don't venture into the P&R forum a whole lot, but things often aren't a whole lot better here. I will grant that there is often some decent debate, but there are way too many ditto-heads that will chime in with little more than a "boo-yah" to add to the mix.

Again, count me as one who is frustrated with a process that seems more geared to getting folks elected than effecting positive change.

And it won't stop in November.

I know you don't venture into the P&R forum a whole lot, but things often aren't a whole lot better here.

I read pretty much everything posted on BGP including P&R. I just don't post much in this forum, and it's for the reasons I've already expressed.

Early in my career I worked around numerous local, State and National politicians. It was 99.9% of the time the same song and dance. It's put me in the No Thanks group...

I started a thread a few months ago making the point that most people really do love all of this soap opera stuff with their politics. We say we hate the negativity, the rumor and innuendo, the nastiness... I don't buy it. America loves its tabloid tease. We love sitting down to Hannity , O'Reilly, Olbermann, and Dobbs every night to see what new dirt is being dished out.Can you imagine a clean, boring, sweetie pie world of American politics? We don't want to imagine it because we would hate it and you guys know it!

Edited by the mathemagician

I started a thread a few months ago making the point that most people really do love all of this soap opera stuff with their politics. We say we hate the negativity, the rumor and innuendo, the nastiness... I don't buy it. America loves its tabloid tease. We love sitting down to Hannity , O'Reilly, Olbermann, and Dobbs every night to see what new dirt is being dished out.Can you imagine a clean, boring, sweetie pie world of American politics? We don't want to imagine it because we would hate it and you guys know it!

Will have to totally disagree! Most people that I talk to are sick and tired of the soap opera and I think a lot of them show their distaste for it, by not voting.

As I get older, I see the same song and dance but with different candidates. It's always I will do this, or I will do that, but nothing and I mean nothing ever gets done. If just for once our elected officials in Frankfort, and or Washington DC just did something that maybe wasn't PC for them, but was what was needed by "We the people", maybe just maybe I wouldn't be so jaded. Today the politician's aren't working for "We the People" they are working to put some green in their pockets, and both sides of the aisle are doing it. Indeed it is a shame and our founding Fathers have to be spinning in their graves when they look down on us.

On a side note, I can't remember the last time I voted for someone because he was the best candidate, as most times I vote for one or the other because he is the least worst of the two!

You bring up a good point, math. On the opposite side of the fence, these shows are able to flourish because of the scandal, cheating, etc.

Isn't this like saying "I hope there are no more wars"???

Anyway, we get what we demand and deserve. The candidates play TO US and , as a whole, we're not smart enough to overlook that. The P&R forum proves that daily.