Hopefully In My Lifetime...

We get a political system that is more about running the country than getting elected. As it stands "We The People" are hamsters in a wheel, and the cycle still seems very far from any chance to correct itself.

Talking points, peer pressure, party "loyalty", flip flopping, scandal, drugs, affairs, interns and so much "more".

Yuck. Make it stop. And it's not even close to November.........

You would be more of a hamster. I would be more of a gerbil.:lol:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started a thread a few months ago making the point that most people really do love all of this soap opera stuff with their politics. We say we hate the negativity, the rumor and innuendo, the nastiness... I don't buy it. America loves its tabloid tease. We love sitting down to Hannity , O'Reilly, Olbermann, and Dobbs every night to see what new dirt is being dished out.Can you imagine a clean, boring, sweetie pie world of American politics? We don't want to imagine it because we would hate it and you guys know it!

My minister made the point once that the greatest threat to this society is television. You have made a point in his argument. It has helped ruin the election process by feeding us junk food when we need fed vegetables.

My minister made the point once that the greatest threat to this society is television. You have made a point in his argument. It has helped ruin the election process by feeding us junk food when we need fed vegetables.

The media has definitly helped put our political system back!

The media has definitly helped put our political system back but lets face it our political system has always been corrupt, I believe TV has just magnified it!

I'm going to sound like a broken record but..

Your minister is misplacing the blame. He should have pointed out to his congregation to identify the problem with today's political atmosphere and process.

I'm going to sound like a broken record but..

Your minister is misplacing the blame. He should have pointed out to his congregation to identify the problem with today's political atmosphere and process.

First, it was a private conversation and not a sermon.

Second, the media's rush to be the first out with a story and the chance to tear down a public figure leads them to the idea of getting the story correct being irrelevant. The national media is focused on making a buck and a reputation and not reporting the facts.

They almost all come in with preconceived bias and do not accurately or clearly report the true story.

Second, the media's rush to be the first out with a story and the chance to tear down a public figure leads them to the idea of getting the story correct being irrelevant. The national media is focused on making a buck and a reputation and not reporting the facts.

They almost all come in with preconceived bias and do not accurately or clearly report the true story.

Then let me correct my original post. He should have said YOU are the reason AND your fellow members in the congregation AND their neighbors AND their neighbors work associates.

Why do you think the media rushes to be the first out? What does it take for them to "make a buck?"

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, people, we ALWAYS get what we ask for. And we love our H&C, the Factor, & Countdown. These are some of the most popular "news"shows on TV. If we didn't pay attention to this kind of stuff, it would go away. The more our attention is focused on the cat fighting between Michelle& Cindy, the more of it the media will blow our way. Remember when you came home each night and sit down with Sean to see what new soundbytes he had of Rev. Wright that he could play over and over for you, ad nauseum? And then you have the audacity to blame Hannity. He's just giving you want you want. Likewise, we watch with bated breath to see who Keith is going to go off on tonight--will it be President Bush again or will Bill O'Reilly be his "worst person of the world" again for the thousandth time? But then you chastise Olberman for dishing the dirt. Again, he's only serving up what you've ordered. Whether you want to admit it or not, you love this stuff, you want this stuff, you need this stuff, to fill your empty evenings. And Sean Hannity, Alan Colmes, Bill O, Keith, Rush & others, thank you very much.

When were they not? Ever heard of the Spanish-American War and Yellow Journalism? Hearst? How did Bonnie and Clyde or Dillenger get so popular?

I don't begrudge your opinion or your pastor's, I just believe that there has always been some inherent part of the media and the "please the population" group. Look up the Andrew Jackson elections. See what muck was thrown during the Jefferson-Adams elections. The 1920 election saw open media war on the Dem candidate because he was Catholic. It's magnified as Go Cats said because the current media is visual and 24 hours.

For anyone who may not be aware of the history of presidential politics, what we see today is incredibly civil compared to 150 or 200 years ago. No comparison...
I agree to a certain degree. However, the potential of being challenged to a duel was, at least in some cases, a limiting factor on what statements the candidates themselves made about one another. I would not be opposed to legalizing dueling again. With today's medical advancements, duels would rarely result in death (using 18th century weaponry) but the potential of real physical pain and/or embarrassment might bring restore a little honor and honesty to career politicians.

I think what we need is man like James Stewart was in "Mr Smith goes to Washington". I can just see our founding fathers looking down from above (or up from below...lol) and wonder what went wrong. It is months like now that we all get our cotton candy and funnel cakes and stop to watch the media circus that we all know we love. We might hate it but most all of us get sucked in by it.

We get a political system that is more about running the country than getting elected. As it stands "We The People" are hamsters in a wheel, and the cycle still seems very far from any chance to correct itself.

Talking points, peer pressure, party "loyalty", flip flopping, scandal, drugs, affairs, interns and so much "more".

Yuck. Make it stop. And it's not even close to November.........

GT...one of the many reasons I like ya pal!! :thumb:

I agree to a certain degree. However, the potential of being challenged to a duel was, at least in some cases, a limiting factor on what statements the candidates themselves made about one another. I would not be opposed to legalizing dueling again. With today's medical advancements, duels would rarely result in death (using 18th century weaponry) but the potential of real physical pain and/or embarrassment might bring restore a little honor and honesty to career politicians.

Aces, go back and reread the history. How did the possibility of dueling keep Hamilton off of Burr's back? How did it limit the scathing remarks about Jefferson? What about calling Jackson's wife a (a husband who had been in more than one duel). Sorry, but your more than a little off historically here. What limits do you see then that we are missing?

Edited by STRIKE3
edited content