Obama articulate?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Obama is an excellent speaker with a prepared script but mediocre otherwise. Without the script he seems to get lost, constantly search for the right words, and often times repeats himself.

As a speaker, Bill Clinton's strengths and weakness were reversed. Bill is excellent off-the-cuff but tends to be long winded with a prepared script.

So you find two instances where he stutters a bit and all of the sudden he isn't articulate?

How many speeches has he given on the campaign trail? Hundreds? Thousands? I'd be shocked if there weren't at least 10 to 15 maybe more cases where he messed up. He is human.

I'm sure John McCain does this too, probably more actually.

Who said anything about McCain?

One of Comrade Obama's so called strengths is his ability to communicate but it sure seems to me that unless he is able to read off of a teleprompter he has a bit of trouble.

And before HB has the chance, I think McCain has exactly the opposite problem. He can't read a prepared speech well but does better off the cuff.

Isn't articulate a "closet" racist comment? Do you ever hear it said in referring to a non-African American? You do here is mentioned when discussing J.C. Watts, Obama, Colin Powell and other African American leaders but rarely is that word ever used to describe a Caucasian American. Bill Clinton, one of the most revered speakers of our time wasn't called articulate neither was Ronald Reagan or any other President for that matter.

Google "Is articulate a racist word", and you will find that a lot of people feel that way.

I have just always thought the use of that word and the non use of it was interesting, in the way the press and public use it to describe only certain candidates.

BTW, I am not calling anyone on BGP a racist. Just making a commentary on the use of this word.

Isn't articulate a "closet" racist comment? Do you ever hear it said in referring to a non-African American? You do here is mentioned when discussing J.C. Watts, Obama, Colin Powell and other African American leaders but rarely is that word ever used to describe a Caucasian American. Bill Clinton, one of the most revered speakers of our time wasn't called articulate neither was Ronald Reagan or any other President for that matter.

Google "Is articulate a racist word", and you will find that a lot of people feel that way.

I have just always thought the use of that word and the non use of it was interesting, in the way the press and public use it to describe only certain candidates.

BTW, I am not calling anyone on BGP a racist. Just making a commentary on the use of this word.

Actually I've always heard "He is so articulate" to describe anyone who can command the language to convey his thoughts. People said that of Ronald Reagan when they talked of him as "the Great Communicator."

Articulate is a word I've seen used for anyone who speaks with an expanded vocabulary, precise structure, and communicates the point he/she was trying to make. I've heard it for any ethnicity.

ar·tic·u·late thinsp.png

/adj., n. ɑrˈtɪkthinsp.pngthinsp.pnglɪt; v. ɑrˈtɪkthinsp.pngyəˌleɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[adj., n. ahr-tik-yuh-lit; v. ahr-tik-yuh-leyt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, verb, -lat·ed, -lat·ing, noun –adjective
1. uttered clearly in distinct syllables.
2. capable of speech; not speechless.
3. using language easily and fluently; having facility with words: an articulate speaker.
4. expressed, formulated, or presented with clarity and effectiveness: an articulate thought.
5. made clear, distinct, and precise in relation to other parts: an articulate form; an articulate shape; an articulate area.
6. (of ideas, form, etc.) having a meaningful relation to other parts: an articulate image.
7. having parts or distinct areas organized into a coherent or meaningful whole; unified: an articulate system of philosophy.
8. Zoology. having joints or articulations; composed of segments.
–verb (used with object)
9. to utter clearly and distinctly; pronounce with clarity.
10. Phonetics. to make the movements and adjustments of the speech organs necessary to utter (a speech sound).
11. to give clarity or distinction to: to articulate a shape; to articulate an idea.
12. Dentistry. to subject to articulation.
13. to unite by a joint or joints.
14. to reveal or make distinct: an injection to articulate arteries so that obstructions can be observed by x-ray.
–verb (used without object)
15. to pronounce clearly each of a succession of speech sounds, syllables, or words; enunciate: to articulate with excessive precision.
16. Phonetics. to articulate a speech sound.
17. Anatomy, Zoology. to form a joint.
18. Obsolete. to make terms of agreement.
–noun
19. a segmented invertebrate.

19 definitions, and not one has to do with racism.

It's been used numerous times with Bush, with people saying he isn't articulate, so I see no way it has racial undertones.

Anyone who bases their vote on a few verbal faux pas should have their voting priviledges revoked.

In the last two presidential elections I certainly haven't based my vote on a candidate's oratory skills. :lol:

Anyone who bases their vote on a few verbal faux pas should have their voting priviledges revoked.

:thumb: I'm sure if someone was videotaping each of us for hours every day, we would slip up a time or two...if two is all they have on Sen Obama after all they have, well....find something better to do with your time.