Aaron Harang

Why couldn't the Reds get a couple of good young arms for Harang to add to the mix? You can never have too much pitching.

I never said the move had to be made, but there is certainly nothing wrong with exploring what Harang might bring on the market.

That's easier said than done. It's not like there are quality arms readily available, but I wouldn't be against exploring both Harang's and Phillip's market value.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's easier said than done. It's not like there are quality arms readily available, but I wouldn't be against exploring both Harang's and Phillip's market value.
It's very easy to explore the trade market.

The Reds were able to get Volquez for Hamilton. Look at what the Orioles got for Erik Bedard, and what the Marlins were able to get for Beckett a few years ago. And Jocketty had a pretty good trade record with the Cardinals.

Harang could bring another good arm or two into the mix ... that's what teams have scouting departments for, to locate those guys from other organizations.

Aaron Harang is (was?) the ace of this staff and, before the season, some people were talking Cy Young.

He has a bad record and has been roughed up a few times, but his ERA is still relatively low (although it is on the rise.) Keep him and continue to build around him. The Aaron Harang we're seeing now is not the one we've seen the past few seasons, and I have confidence that he'll bounce back and return to the form that made him the ace of this staff.

Maybe so, but his string of bad starts started at Dodger Stadium before the San Diego series.

Could have? Sure.

Thos this extent, no.

I would buy his "not sure what's wrong, just missing locations" reason if it weren't for the fact that his velocity is down and he's only walked one batter in the 15 1/3 innings. The hitters no that he can't throw it by them right now so they're not missing when he comes in the zone.

His biggest asset has been the late zip on his fastball that has guys swinging late and making easy outs or Ks. Since the extra inning game, that zip hasn't been there and as a result he's getting hit HARD...

His biggest asset has been the late zip on his fastball that has guys swinging late and making easy outs or Ks. Since the extra inning game, that zip hasn't been there and as a result he's getting hit HARD...

The man came out and said that the extra inning game had nothing to do with it, but our residential experts know that the extra 60 pitches he threw is the reason for him getting shelled? Interesting.

It seems to me that his problems stem from leaving the ball out over the plate and up in the zone. It's not like he was on fire before the relief appearance anyway...

It's not like he was on fire before the relief appearance anyway...

He was pitching really well before being knocked around in San Diego. I'd consider 14 runs in 42 innings pretty darn good. Guess you don't. Three days later was the relief appearance. Since then, miserable. Only 10 Ks in his three starts since the extra inning debacle.

Harang isn't going to throw Dusty under the bus for what went down, but he's CLEARLY a different pitcher since that Sunday. If you don't see it, you aren't watching...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?n1=haranaa01&t=p&year=2008

He was pitching really well before being knocked around in San Diego. I'd consider 14 runs in 42 innings pretty darn good. Guess you don't. Three days later was the relief appearance. Since then, miserable. Only 10 Ks in his three starts since the extra inning debacle.

Harang isn't going to throw Dusty under the bus for what went down, but he's CLEARLY a different pitcher since that Sunday. If you don't see it, you aren't watching...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?n1=haranaa01&t=p&year=2008

:thumb:

I posted those same numbers. The loss in velocity, the loss of control without an increase in walks and 30 hits allowed in 15 1/3 Innings since the relief appearances are clear signs of a tired arm. Harang is too good of a team guy to come out and say that. At this point it might not be a bad thing to skip him a start of even DL him for 15 days.

His start in San Diego did not go well. 5 1/3, 10 hits, 5 earned runs.

His next appearance was his relief appearance in SD - where he threw very well, striking out 9 in 4 innings.

After that, his next start was on 3 full days rest and he got roughed up by the Bucs (4 IP, 10 Hits, 6 ER, 2 K).

Then Philly, where he went 6 IP, 9 H, 3 ER and 4 K.

Then Florida, where he went 5 1/3, 11 Hits, 8 Runs (7 ER) and 4 K.

His last 4 starts have been rough (with the exception of Philly, where he still gave up 9 hits).

Something is wrong and many are claiming it's the extra 63 pitches he threw. I'm not buying it, but maybe an extra day or two off would help the big guy.

He's seeing what happens when you leave fastballs right down the middle and hanging sliders to big league hitters. Once he gets a feel back for his control, He will be the Harang of old. Yesterday he threw an 0-2 pitch right down the middle. I've watched him pitch a lot and he's never dont that. He's lacking control whether something is physically wrong or not.

Aaron Harang is (was?) the ace of this staff and, before the season, some people were talking Cy Young.

He has a bad record and has been roughed up a few times, but his ERA is still relatively low (although it is on the rise.) Keep him and continue to build around him. The Aaron Harang we're seeing now is not the one we've seen the past few seasons, and I have confidence that he'll bounce back and return to the form that made him the ace of this staff.

Thank you, 3 or 4 bad starts and everyone is jumping down his back. Before this recent stretch, he was throwing as well as ever, let it be for now.

Thank you, 3 or 4 bad starts and everyone is jumping down his back. Before this recent stretch, he was throwing as well as ever, let it be for now.

I think that is the whole argument. He threw an extra 100 pitches in a week and since then he hasn't been able to throw anyone out. What we're asking, and I'm going to spell this out for you because it doesn't look like you understand, is that Harang hasn't been the same since he threw 200 pitches in 3 days. And yes, bullpen sessions count when you expect him to retire ML Batters.

The man came out and said that the extra inning game had nothing to do with it, but our residential experts know that the extra 60 pitches he threw is the reason for him getting shelled? Interesting.

It seems to me that his problems stem from leaving the ball out over the plate and up in the zone. It's not like he was on fire before the relief appearance anyway...

One artical listed had Harang say he threw an extra 100 pitches in the week.. Thats a full game, if you chose to believe it or not, it's killing him now.