Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where is Wilson Sears?

Featured Replies

How do you go about getting open enrollment at your school? Seriously. My understanding is that this only goes on between schools in the same school district. Is that correct. We have two separate school systems in this county and for as long as I can remember the county system has set a limit on the number of county students that may attend the city school. I know the schools up north talk about open enrollment, is that across county lines or is it confined to the same school district?

  • Replies 82
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lunch should be free to all students...;)

 

I guess it would be alright if the third party who gives the money is the Government and not someone who has ties to the school...Boosters/Alumini...

 

Do you understand how the system works? A third party (a company that has been approved by the KHSAA) decides what students qualify for what assistance, not boosters, not alumni. They do it with no personal information about the student otehr then income. Boosters and alumni can donate money to the fund but they have no influence over who gets the money.

How do you go about getting open enrollment at your school? Seriously. My understanding is that this only goes on between schools in the same school district. Is that correct. We have two separate school systems in this county and for as long as I can remember the county system has set a limit on the number of county students that may attend the city school. I know the schools up north talk about open enrollment, is that across county lines or is it confined to the same school district?

 

Then as far as I'm concerned you have open enrollment. Closed enrollment would neam that you can take NO students from outside your district. Someone once posted that the SOmerset district couldn't survive if they weren't allowed to take out of district students.

Lunch should be free to all students...;)

Speaking of which, add that expense, as well as transportation, activity fees, books (which usually cost me anywhere between $400&$700 per year), graduation fees....Those are on top of the tuition at the school. So, there goes the aid money.

 

I guess it would be alright if the third party who gives the money is the Government and not someone who has ties to the school...Boosters/Alumini...

If one cares to research, one could download an application for financial aid and learn that the agency making the determination is in Minnesota, and handles these applications for thousands of schools from all across the United States. No "nepotism" is involved. The involvement by the alumni and families and friends is to raise the money. At Trinity, the endowment fund has it's own association in administrating the investment of the fund, but not in determining who gets what amount of the dispersable funds.
  • Author
Do you understand how the system works? A third party (a company that has been approved by the KHSAA) decides what students qualify for what assistance, not boosters, not alumni. They do it with no personal information about the student other then income.

I truly don't believe that people out in the state understand this is the way it works. They are always shocked when I tell them the aid is determined by a 3rd party in some other state. I often get a "Oh. Well I guess that's ok."

Lunch should be free to all students...;)

 

I guess it would be alright if the third party who gives the money is the Government and not someone who has ties to the school...Boosters/Alumini...

 

In NKY the third party that determines who and how much aid is received is an independent company not even located locally, and having absolutely no ties with any schools. They are contracted to make these decisions to precisely avoid ANY thought of favoritism. Only several people at the schools even know who receives the aid.

I'm with that. During my time in Somerset, I heard a lot of unflattering stories about athlete movement that benefited SHS. Sears is a hypocrite, at best.

 

I have heard the same. I am told Sears was a do as I say guy, not a do as I do guy.

 

Did I miss something or was Somerset investigated for some wrongdoing during Sears' tenure? I don't remember anything from the KHSAA.

Did I miss something or was Somerset investigated for some wrongdoing during Sears' tenure? I don't remember anything from the KHSAA.

 

At this point, the statement that is usually made when allegations are risen on a private school is...

 

If you know of any wrongdoings that Somerset has participated in, they should be reported to the KHSAA.:walk:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.