June 2, 200818 yr You don't get it. The problem still has to do with giving scholarships to kids to play sports. What about kids who are inside the county and are attracted to come to Lexington Catholic (for example) and given a scholarship more less because he can play football. That is the issue at hand regardless of where they live at. And it is the perception that is out there. There is just a big difference in my mind between going to a school that is free for everyone than going to a school that is not free for everyone, but is given extra benefits because of sports. Public schools are not necessarily free for everyone. Back to my scenario, if my school district does not release the ADA money my son represents, than Bell County would be paying to educate my son with no reimbursement from anywhere. And he is a stud QB???? You don't think that is going to looked at suspiciously and justifiably so. You are going to take on my son, the stud QB, and get no money from no where for him????? Personally, I would like to see two divisions. One where this stuff is legal and schools that engage in this can compete against each other and another where it is legal and those schools compete against each other. My point to you is that what you are talking about goes on in public schools as well as privates.
June 2, 200818 yr Public schools are not necessarily free for everyone. Back to my scenario, if my school district does not release the ADA money my son represents, than Bell County would be paying to educate my son with no reimbursement from anywhere. And he is a stud QB???? You don't think that is going to looked at suspiciously and justifiably so. You are going to take on my son, the stud QB, and get no money from no where for him????? Personally, I would like to see two divisions. One where this stuff is legal and schools that engage in this can compete against each other and another where it is legal and those schools compete against each other. My point to you is that what you are talking about goes on in public schools as well as privates. Well obviously we are going to disagree. Ive explained myself to you and you don't seem to understand. I will just agree to disagree then.
June 2, 200818 yr Well obviously we are going to disagree. Ive explained myself to you and you don't seem to understand. I will just agree to disagree then. I understand your point, just think you are wrong. There is no difference between a public school offering tuition free education to a student not leaving in their district and a private school giving a scholarship to a student for a free education. You want there to be a difference because it helps your point but in an open and good debate, you have to be willing to concede points that do not help your cause. On this one point, you are taking the position that what is good for the gander (public schools) is not good for the goose (private schools).
June 2, 200818 yr I understand your point, just think you are wrong. There is no difference between a public school offering tuition free education to a student not leaving in their district and a private school giving a scholarship to a student for a free education. You want there to be a difference because it helps your point but in an open and good debate, you have to be willing to concede points that do not help your cause. On this one point, you are taking the position that what is good for the gander (public schools) is not good for the goose (private schools). If you can't understand the difference between a school giving select free tuition to certain students and a school giveing free education to everyone then there is no sense discussing it with you.
June 3, 200818 yr If you can't understand the difference between a school giving select free tuition to certain students and a school giveing free education to everyone then there is no sense discussing it with you. And obviously you don't understand the difference of those students within their district being paid for by the state and that student coming from outside the district being paid for by NO ONE.
June 3, 200818 yr Why, there parents are not supporting the school through property taxes. And the state has not made that school system responsible for the education of that student like they have in the case of their home district. Some public school districts have allowed students with athletic ability to join their school system with little to no tuition costs. How is that different than what you are saying is wrong with privates? Heck, I think Christian schools should be giving out scholarships to non-Christians so that they can bring them into the school setting and witness to them. That is not a good thing but a GREAT THING!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE] Thats a good concept, but how do you attract these kids? How do they know they can have a free education to a Christian school? Do you have to go recruit them? Also, I know a situation in Bell Co. where a lot of students lived in Harlan Co, but it was a shorter drive to Bell Co. High School so they came to Bell Co. Should we have charged them to come to high school in Bell Co? Yes
June 3, 200818 yr It is not simply a private school thing LMB. It is an open enrollment thing. As many public schools that are drawing from multiple communities are dominating too. This is a big advantage to many Jefferson County schools IMO. It's not surprising that certain schools are dominate in certain sports year in and year out. I talked to a guy from Louisville at the state basketball tournament a few years ago and he said there were recruitment of star athletes coming from the middle school ranks by the numerous schools in the county, that there was a lot of "scouting" going on throughout the year. He may have been exaggerating, but that's what he said.
June 3, 200818 yr And obviously you don't understand the difference of those students within their district being paid for by the state and that student coming from outside the district being paid for by NO ONE. You just don't get it. I explain to you a situation that has nothing to do with sports like around Bell Co. and the geographical situation. Its a much shorter ride for some kids so they come to Bell Co. It is something to benefit kids equally. Its not the same thing as giving a scholarship to another kid because he or she can play a sport well.
June 3, 200818 yr You just don't get it. I explain to you a situation that has nothing to do with sports like around Bell Co. and the geographical situation. Its a much shorter ride for some kids so they come to Bell Co. It is something to benefit kids equally. Its not the same thing as giving a scholarship to another kid because he or she can play a sport well. Did Bell Co prohibit all athletes from Harlan Co or let them come too?
June 3, 200818 yr My son goes to a public school and I don't pay anything except School taxes...The reason I don't send him to a privite school is because I can't afford the tution... Do some kids go to Private schools for free?If so how do I go about sending my son to a Private school for free?:confused:
June 3, 200818 yr There are no "free rides" at LexCath. Tuition assistance is applied for and granted based on financial need alone. The maximum assistance is 50%. The perception that there are a bunch of students/athletes getting full "scholarships" is blatantly false. In fact, as pointed out in other threads, the body that determines the students receiving aid and the level of that aid does not see the students' identity before making its determinations.
June 3, 200818 yr There are no "free rides" at LexCath. Tuition assistance is applied for and granted based on financial need alone. The maximum assistance is 50%. The perception that there are a bunch of students/athletes getting full "scholarships" is blatantly false. In fact, as pointed out in other threads, the body that determines the students receiving aid and the level of that aid does not see the students' identity before making its determinations. If a kid was going for academics only,and the school wants to give some kind of aid that would be o.k. but I feel they should be excluded from all sports unless they pay the full tuition...:thumb:
June 3, 200818 yr There are no "free rides" at LexCath. Tuition assistance is applied for and granted based on financial need alone. The maximum assistance is 50%. The perception that there are a bunch of students/athletes getting full "scholarships" is blatantly false. In fact, as pointed out in other threads, the body that determines the students receiving aid and the level of that aid does not see the students' identity before making its determinations. Same applies at Trinity, Assumption, and every private school I know. To put this all in perspective, as far as aid is concerned: I would like to add that I have never personally, in the 12 years of my own Catholic school education, or the combined 26 years of my kids' Catholic school education, met any student who was awarded the full 50% allowed in aid. The resources are simply not that great to fund such an endeavor. Most that I'm aware of, and on discussing terms with, received somewhere between $1000 and $2000 per year in high school. In grade school, no awards. Some may have received academic or privately endowed high school scholarships in addition, usually in the $500-$1000 per year range. Most I know had award aids decreased over the course of the years, as a family's income rose and/or the resources were spread among more families. I believe the Trinity website states that 40% of the students receive some sort of financial assistance. The last number I saw was that $900,000 was awarded in assistance. So, if the enrollment is ~2500, 1000 students received an average of $900 last year. Not exactly an amount likely to make it a cake-walk to afford when the tuition is almost $8000. I know my daughter's first year @ Assumption, tuition was ~$5000. I recieved $800 in aid. I took on a 2nd job that netted me about $5000 that year. When I reapplied the next year, my aid was reduced to $500 because of my increase in income. Then, the next year, I worked more hours, netting about $10,000, and didn't receive aid. I kept working that 2nd job. :lol:
June 3, 200818 yr If a kid was going for academics only,and the school wants to give some kind of aid that would be o.k. but I feel they should be excluded from all sports unless they pay the full tuition...:thumb: Why? If the process of determining who get financial aid is done above board by a neutral third party where is the problem? Would you exclude students who get free or reduced lunches from sports? That assistance is based on need as well.
June 3, 200818 yr Why? If the process of determining who get financial aid is done above board by a neutral third party where is the problem? Would you exclude students who get free or reduced lunches from sports? That assistance is based on need as well. Lunch should be free to all students... I guess it would be alright if the third party who gives the money is the Government and not someone who has ties to the school...Boosters/Alumini...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.