Where is Wilson Sears?

LMB, just FYI every kid on the team dresses out for varsity games at LexCath. The hundred, or more, you observed at Bell County included MANY boys who never get on the playing field. I think it's a testament to the coaches that so many kids remain on the team who don't get to play much...that included a good number of the 30+ seniors last fall.

Here is the thing, there is a lot more opportunities for the students and LexCath. A lot of kids in Bell Co. live a long ways from the school and dont have a way to get to and from the games. And a lot of kids are poor and have no other choice, but to work. Its just a much different dynamic. I am not saying its wrong one way or the other, but for any pretty good coach a school like Lexington Catholic is a gold mine for football.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me...I've been reading this board. If you care to look, I've been a part of these discussions for quite some time on BGP, but not in these specific player's discussions. If you don't think I follow these reports closely, then you don't know what this issue means to me.

I've also been reading the newspapers, and there's nothing of a public outcry over these transfers. However, had these players transferred to LexCath, there'd be editorials, columns on the sports pages of several Kentucky newspapers, message boards would be blowing up with threads.

At this point, I choose to not respond to specific instances that seem a little fishy. The issue is bigger than one player or school. And the issue isn't public=guys in white hats vs. privates=guys in black hats. The issue is the disparity of coverage and the hypocrical way many proponents of public schools consistently seek to cast private schools as cheaters and as having unfair advantages not "available" to public schools.

I found it hilarious that you had someone say to you......If you have been reading this forum.............OMygoodness............my side hurts.

:lol::lol::lol:

Private schools choose to not accept state and federal tax dollars so as to not fall under the guidelines of state and federal laws and regulations concerning schools.

A quote from the Guru came to mind when I read this:

Now that is a good point and good use of a quote.:thumb:

Here is the thing. Private schools are dominating in a lot of sports and some schools have a lot of advantages over public schools. They are able to attract talent (not necessarily by recruiting). A lot of public schools would like to seperate public and private like a lot of states do to equal out the playing field. Can you blame them? I am against a seperation, but I see both sides to the story.

It is not simply a private school thing LMB.

It is an open enrollment thing.

As many public schools that are drawing from multiple communities are dominating too.

As many public schools that are drawing from multiple communities are dominating too.

The puzzler to me is why some schools choose to limit their enrollment when there is no universal statewide requirement to do so.

Whenever you see a group limiting themselves to narrow guidelines and/or districts while others are open, you are going to see these differences in numbers and achievements. This is also true in retail, restaurants, churches, etc. Not everyone loves to eat at Cracker Barrel, but Cracker Barrel is going to do bigger numbers in most markets than a restaurant that chooses to serve only raw fish. Some people absolutely love sushi, but not as many as love good "home cooking". It would be silly for the managers of the Japanese restaruant to complain that Cracker Barrel has an unfair advantage.

Prohibition didn't work in the 1920s and 30s. This is a similar mindset. If a school district chooses to limit itself that's fine, but to whine because everyone else doesn't choose the same self-imposed restrictions is just plain silly.

The puzzler to me is why some schools choose to limit their enrollment when there is no universal statewide requirement to do so.

Whenever you see a group limiting themselves to narrow guidelines and/or districts while others are open, you are going to see these differences in numbers and achievements. This is also true in retail, restaurants, churches, etc. Not everyone loves to eat at Cracker Barrel, but Cracker Barrel is going to do bigger numbers in most markets than a restaurant that chooses to serve only raw fish. Some people absolutely love sushi, but not as many as love good "home cooking". It would be silly for the managers of the Japanese restaruant to complain that Cracker Barrel has an unfair advantage.

Prohibition didn't work in the 1920s and 30s. This is a similar mindset. If a school district chooses to limit itself that's fine, but to whine because everyone else doesn't choose the same self-imposed restrictions is just plain silly.

Place the sushi restaurant in Mt. Olivet and Cracker Barrel in an area like Ft. Thomas.

Is it accurate for the Cracker Barrel in Ft. THomas to claim they are the best restaurant in the state because they do more business than anyone else?

Sometimes opening your borders has zero effect but logistically it won't have any effect.

This is not Field of Dreams and I don't hear a James Earl Jones voiceover that is saying, "open your borders and they will come."

Then you have the perception of the scholarship situation. I for one do not know much about it, but a common opinion is a lot of private schools give scholarships to kids so they can afford to go to a private school basically to play sports. I am not saying that is fact, I am simpy saying that is the perception. But it appears there were kids at LCA who were going there free based on having athletic ability.

Then you have the perception of the scholarship situation. I for one do not know much about it, but a common opinion is a lot of private schools give scholarships to kids so they can afford to go to a private school basically to play sports. I am not saying that is fact, I am simpy saying that is the perception. But it appears there were kids at LCA who were going there free based on having athletic ability.

And how would that be different than a public school not charging tuition for a student living out of district? Or charging a minimal amount, couple hundred dollars?

And how would that be different than a public school not charging tuition for a student living out of district? Or charging a minimal amount, couple hundred dollars?

If a student does come from another district then they should still be on the same scale as any other student getting a free education at that school.

If a student does come from another district then they should still be on the same scale as any other student getting a free education at that school.

Why, there parents are not supporting the school through property taxes.

And the state has not made that school system responsible for the education of that student like they have in the case of their home district.

Some public school districts have allowed students with athletic ability to join their school system with little to no tuition costs. How is that different than what you are saying is wrong with privates?

Heck, I think Christian schools should be giving out scholarships to non-Christians so that they can bring them into the school setting and witness to them. That is not a good thing but a GREAT THING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why, there parents are not supporting the school through property taxes.

And the state has not made that school system responsible for the education of that student like they have in the case of their home district.

Some public school districts have allowed students with athletic ability to join their school system with little to no tuition costs. How is that different than what you are saying is wrong with privates?

Heck, I think Christian schools should be giving out scholarships to non-Christians so that they can bring them into the school setting and witness to them. That is not a good thing but a GREAT THING!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Thats a good concept, but how do you attract these kids? How do they know they can have a free education to a Christian school? Do you have to go recruit them?

Also, I know a situation in Bell Co. where a lot of students lived in Harlan Co, but it was a shorter drive to Bell Co. High School so they came to Bell Co. Should we have charged them to come to high school in Bell Co?

Thats a good concept, but how do you attract these kids? How do they know they can have a free education to a Christian school? Do you have to go recruit them?

Also, I know a situation in Bell Co. where a lot of students lived in Harlan Co, but it was a shorter drive to Bell Co. High School so they came to Bell Co. Should we have charged them to come to high school in Bell Co?

So, let me understand this....

You think it is okay for Bell County gives free education to students that do NOT live in Bell County and that they ARE NOT resonsible for educating.

But it is not okay for Lex Christian to give a free Christian Education to students?

If you are going to debate this point on here, the lack of consistency will hurt your credibility tremendously.

And that is coming from someone labeled on here as a public school supporter.

So, let me understand this....

You think it is okay for Bell County gives free education to students that do NOT live in Bell County and that they ARE NOT resonsible for educating.

But it is not okay for Lex Christian to give a free Christian Education to students?

If you are going to debate this point on here, the lack of consistency will hurt your credibility tremendously.

And that is coming from someone labeled on here as a public school supporter.

You are leaving out 1 huge difference. At a school like Bell Co. every kid is there free getting an education. At a private school only a certain amount of them are there for free. The problem is the perception that a private school is giving special benefits to a student because of athletic ability when a student with the same academic ability has to pay. There is a big difference!

You are leaving out 1 huge difference. At a school like Bell Co. every kid is there free getting an education. At a private school only a certain amount of them are there for free. The problem is the perception that a private school is giving special benefits to a student because of athletic ability when a student with the same academic ability has to pay. There is a big difference!

My children are not receiving a free education since I pay thousands in property and utility taxes each and every year.

And yet, in your scenario, the exact thing could occur at a public school and you would be okay with it.

My son who let's say is a stud quarterback, could transfer into Bell County even though we don't live in Bell County and pay no tuition and you would have NO problem with that.

My same son enrolls in LCA and gets a scholarship and you would have a problem with that.

Even though in BOTH CASES I am doing nothing financially to help offset the cost of educating my son.

My children are not receiving a free education since I pay thousands in property and utility taxes each and every year.

And yet, in your scenario, the exact thing could occur at a public school and you would be okay with it.

My son who let's say is a stud quarterback, could transfer into Bell County even though we don't live in Bell County and pay no tuition and you would have NO problem with that.

My same son enrolls in LCA and gets a scholarship and you would have a problem with that.

Even though in BOTH CASES I am doing nothing financially to help offset the cost of educating my son.

You don't get it. The problem still has to do with giving scholarships to kids to play sports. What about kids who are inside the county and are attracted to come to Lexington Catholic (for example) and given a scholarship more less because he can play football. That is the issue at hand regardless of where they live at. And it is the perception that is out there.

There is just a big difference in my mind between going to a school that is free for everyone than going to a school that is not free for everyone, but is given extra benefits because of sports.