Bill Clinton's Presidency

A president can't cause expansion or end a recession but he can certainly affect the length of them. It is not that Reagan caused expansion; rather, if Carter's high taxation had continued, then the economy would have been in worse shape. Higher taxes, as enacted by Bill Clinton, would have been detrimental to the economy. However, he got a free pass because he benefited from 8 years of no recessions (which is unheard of in an economy like ours).

And it is not like I dreamed it up on my own- my belief in this stems from an article I read by Glenn Hubbard (although I can't for the life of me find it). But I don't see it as a generalization. You have to understand how incredibly large computers and the internet really are in our economy, and think of in how short of a period of time they came in place.

I'm not enough of an ecoomist to debate too much here. However I noticed this tax table and it appears that Carter's rate of tax was the same as his predecessors Ford and Nixon. So I'm not sure we can say he raised taxes as much as he followed suit.

http://www.hkmscpa.com/hist%20tax%20rates.htm

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not enough of an ecoomist to debate too much here. However I noticed this tax table and it appears that Carter's rate of tax was the same as his predecessors Ford and Nixon. So I'm not sure we can say he raised taxes as much as he followed suit.

http://www.hkmscpa.com/hist%20tax%20rates.htm

From what I see there, you are correct. As you know I wasn't around them. But then it isn't all on Carter- it is on Ford and Nixon as well. I wasn't meaning to criticize Carter as much as illustrate what high taxes can do to an economy.

Either way, let's get to other excellent things that Clinton did. So far, we have one- the Rural Empowerment programs. (which sounds very conservative actually)

I am not very familiar with that, but finally someone brings something up. It sounds to me like a good program, and if I understand the gist of it, it allows tax incentives for companies that hire workers that live and work in areas that aren't doing too well? This seems like an excellent idea. :thumb: Anything with tax incentives sounds good to me.

BTW, big surprise that an empowerment zone is in CLINTON county :p:p :D

The only reason I know anything about it is because my father was "in charge" of the ones here in KY. He got to hang out with Slick Willy a few times. Gore was really involved in it as well.

From what I see there, you are correct. As you know I wasn't around them. But then it isn't all on Carter- it is on Ford and Nixon as well. I wasn't meaning to criticize Carter as much as illustrate what high taxes can do to an economy.

Either way, let's get to other excellent things that Clinton did. So far, we have one- the Rural Empowerment programs. (which sounds very conservative actually)

Clinton worked with Congress and instituted the first Welfare reforms in many years.

I absolutely love how the President has nothing to do with the economy and yet Reagan is hailed as one of the greatest precisely because the economy picked up so well during his tenure and "he saved us from Carter's malaise."

Which is it? We can say just as much about the deregulation from Reagan as to perhaps leading to the S&L Scandals and the Market drop in '87 from junk bonds.

To say the economy only boomed because of the computer is a generalization too, is it not? I'm not sure what Clinton did or did not do that fostered the boom but it did happend under his watch.

Many economists credit Reagan's policies for much of the 90's economic growth.

Clinton worked with Congress and instituted the first Welfare reforms in many years.

:thumb: Very good. And, if I may add, I believe that NAFTA was generally a good idea, with a few things that could be changed.

I absolutely love how the President has nothing to do with the economy and yet Reagan is hailed as one of the greatest precisely because the economy picked up so well during his tenure and "he saved us from Carter's malaise."

Which is it? We can say just as much about the deregulation from Reagan as to perhaps leading to the S&L Scandals and the Market drop in '87 from junk bonds.

To say the economy only boomed because of the computer is a generalization too, is it not? I'm not sure what Clinton did or did not do that fostered the boom but it did happend under his watch.

I agree Hatz.

Clinton's presidency was coupled with a strong Republican Congress and he compromised, more or less, in order to sustain progress. Clinton's signing of NAFTA and significant balancing of the budget were positives of his administration.

:thumb: Very good. And, if I may add, I believe that NAFTA was generally a good idea, with a few things that could be changed.

I must confess that NAFTA has been a double edged sword.

It has helped most of our nation and our economy.

On the other hand it crippled and economically ruined many places in our country as well. (I live in one of those areas) When your community literally has been built on Furniture and Textiles, you can see the ramifications for what NAFTA and Free Trade Act brought.

Many economists credit Reagan's policies for much of the 90's economic growth.

I'm a little curious about that one. George the First was the one who raised taxes not long after Reagan was out. So how did that keep Reagan's economic policies going?

I agree Hatz.

Clinton's presidency was coupled with a strong Republican Congress and he compromised, more or less, in order to sustain progress. Clinton's signing of NAFTA and significant balancing of the budget were positives of his administration.

I agree and would add welfare reform to the Republican supported initiatives that Clnton signed into law. I give him credit for working with Republicans where he shared common ground with them. Ironically, working with Republicans on some big issues helped keep his approval rating high and may have saved his presidency.

Achievements of the Clinton Administration: the Complete Legislative and Executive...That is the title of a book that has alllllll of Clinton's achievements during his presidency. :Dsome may know what I am talking about...

Pros

-Economic boom

-Outstanding foreign policy record that included efforts to mediate peace between Israel & the Palestinians.

-Way better than average political skills.

-His policy toward gays in the military

Cons

-Left a decision on a national missile defense to his successor

-Failed National Health Plan

-Monica Lewinsky scandal