Bill Clinton's Presidency

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The economy was great.... and he was an incredible public speaker. That's about it....

Maybe you missed my first post.

The economy was great because their were no recessions and it was constantly expanding due to something called the internet. The amount of new computers, internet companies, jobs created in the computers/internet industry, and even towards the end of the internet boom (late 90's) the scare of the Y2K virus caused much new technology and virus-protection services to boost the economy even more.

I hope I don't have to go into this again.

Being a great public speaker is a nice attribute. Does it do anything?

Compared to the last 7 years I will say his 8 years were much better.

Without a doubt.

It wasn't his fault he was elected President when all of the things you mention happened cch5432.

I also know he did a lot for poverty around the country, even in KY. He established something called Empowerment Zones to bring jobs to SE KY. Check it out.

http://www.ezec.gov/

I also know he did a lot for poverty around the country, even in KY. He established something called Empowerment Zones to bring jobs to SE KY. Check it out.

http://www.ezec.gov/

I am not very familiar with that, but finally someone brings something up. It sounds to me like a good program, and if I understand the gist of it, it allows tax incentives for companies that hire workers that live and work in areas that aren't doing too well? This seems like an excellent idea. :thumb: Anything with tax incentives sounds good to me.

BTW, big surprise that an empowerment zone is in CLINTON county :p:p :D

The economy was great because their were no recessions and it was constantly expanding due to something called the internet. The amount of new computers, internet companies, jobs created in the computers/internet industry, and even towards the end of the internet boom (late 90's) the scare of the Y2K virus caused much new technology and virus-protection services to boost the economy even more.

I didn't miss it. However, that's like saying - other than a big chest, what does Pam Anderson really bring to the table....

Being a great public speaker would have helped Bush big time. Instead, he's the voice of our country and we sound like total idiots because of it.

BTW - I didn't know the "internet boom" had ended yet.

I absolutely love how the President has nothing to do with the economy and yet Reagan is hailed as one of the greatest precisely because the economy picked up so well during his tenure and "he saved us from Carter's malaise."

Which is it? We can say just as much about the deregulation from Reagan as to perhaps leading to the S&L Scandals and the Market drop in '87 from junk bonds.

To say the economy only boomed because of the computer is a generalization too, is it not? I'm not sure what Clinton did or did not do that fostered the boom but it did happend under his watch.

I didn't miss it. However, that's like saying - other than a big chest, what does Pam Anderson really bring to the table....

Being a great public speaker would have helped Bush big time. Instead, he's the voice of our country and we sound like total idiots because of it.

BTW - I didn't know the "internet boom" had ended yet.

Clinton wasn't responsible (at all) for the growth of the economy, so I can't give him credit for it.

The "internet boom" is not over (poor wording on my part) but it has certainly slowed down, and a lot of the immediate economic benefits that came from the beginning of it are harder to find.

I absolutely love how the President has nothing to do with the economy and yet Reagan is hailed as one of the greatest precisely because the economy picked up so well during his tenure and "he saved us from Carter's malaise."

Which is it? We can say just as much about the deregulation from Reagan as to perhaps leading to the S&L Scandals and the Market drop in '87 from junk bonds.

To say the economy only boomed because of the computer is a generalization too, is it not? I'm not sure what Clinton did or did not do that fostered the boom but it did happend under his watch.

A president can't cause expansion or end a recession but he can certainly affect the length of them. It is not that Reagan caused expansion; rather, if Carter's high taxation had continued, then the economy would have been in worse shape. Higher taxes, as enacted by Bill Clinton, would have been detrimental to the economy. However, he got a free pass because he benefited from 8 years of no recessions (which is unheard of in an economy like ours).

And it is not like I dreamed it up on my own- my belief in this stems from an article I read by Glenn Hubbard (although I can't for the life of me find it). But I don't see it as a generalization. You have to understand how incredibly large computers and the internet really are in our economy, and think of in how short of a period of time they came in place.

A president can't cause expansion or end a recession but he can certainly affect the length of them. It is not that Reagan caused expansion; rather, if Carter's high taxation had continued, then the economy would have been in worse shape. Higher taxes, as enacted by Bill Clinton, would have been detrimental to the economy. However, he got a free pass because he benefited from 8 years of no recessions (which is unheard of in an economy like ours).

And it is not like I dreamed it up on my own- my belief in this stems from an article I read by Glenn Hubbard (although I can't for the life of me find it). But I don't see it as a generalization. You have to understand how incredibly large computers and the internet really are in our economy, and think of in how short of a period of time they came in place.

BTW, check this out:

the U.S. Internet Economy revenues grew at an estimated compounded

average growth rate (CAGR) of 174.5% from 1995 to 1998, compared to the overall world-wide

average economic growth rate (which includes the U.S. Internet Economy) of 3.8% in the same

period (see table below).