Bill Clinton's Presidency

Bill Clinton has had a legacy opportunity of a lifetime. He was by far the most charismatic president in my lifetime. He's credited for all the good times of the '90s. His little indiscretions have been overlooked. The horrid mistakes with bin Ladan, Rwanda and the Balkans have been forgotten.

But it seems to me that since he's been helping Hillary's campaign, he has greatly tarnished that image. Should he have stayed in the background and just basked in his old glory?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, president Clinton ended his presidential career with a 65% approval rating, the highest end-of-term approval rating of any President since Dwight D. Eisenhower, this is with the Moncia scandal.

What mistakes with bin ladden? Clinton tryed and tryed to kill bin ladden, the FBI would not let him, watch this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RLAKArfOe0.

BTW, president Clinton ended his presidential career with a 65% approval rating, the highest end-of-term approval rating of any President since Dwight D. Eisenhower, this is with the Moncia scandal.

Neither of these really answer my question. It's a given that Bill was loved as a president and is credited for all the good and none of the bad. My question was "is he harming his own legacy campaigning for Hillary?"

Neither of these really answer my question. It's a given that Bill was loved as a president and is credited for all the good and none of the bad. My question was "is he harming his own legacy campaigning for Hillary?"

Yes, the longer she stays in this race the worse his legacy is tarnished, IMO. The Clintons ran a horrible campain from the get go, which surprised me...

What mistakes with bin ladden? Clinton tryed and tryed to kill bin ladden, the FBI would not let him, watch this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RLAKArfOe0.

Can you imagine our current president even being able to participate in such an eliquant conversation? He would have made up 3 new words during that time frame.

Clinton's ability to speak publically in this age of communication allowed him the luxury of connecting with the common American. Not necessarily the politically affluent, but with the every day, hard working person.

It was definitely an important skill.

If Lincoln's reelection had taken place in late June of 1863, he would have been soundly defeated, McClellan would have won and the USA and CSA would have been separated forever.

Im sorry, President Bush is not President Lincoln...

No one said he is. HHS is just saying that popularity among Americans DURING the administration is a poor way of fully judging a President's tenure.

What I mean to say is that, in July of 1863, the majority of Americans would have said that Lincoln has been a bad president. Same would say the same about Bush now. Am I saying that Bush will go down with as good a legacy as Lincoln? Absolutely not. But what I am saying is that there is little chance that Bush's legacy 50 years from now will be the same as many Americans think of him currently

Edited by HHSDad
cch5432 is caught in a time warp

My only point is that time changes opinions. Current views don't always reflect later opinion. Lincoln was mired in a war that was not going well. If not for the victories at Vicksburg and Gettysburg, England and France would have recognized the South as a nation, the North would have ended the war with the loss of 11 or more states. We don't have the advantage of hindsight when we look at current events.

But cch5432 may have said it better. :sssh:

No one said he is. HHS is just saying that popularity among Americans DURING the administration is a poor way of fully judging a President's tenure.

What I mean to say is that, in July of 1963, the majority of Americans would have said that Lincoln has been a bad president. Same would say the same about Bush now. Am I saying that Bush will go down with as good a legacy as Lincoln? Absolutely not. But what I am saying is that there is little chance that Bush's legacy 50 years from now will be the same as many Americans think of him currently

Perhaps a better analogy might be Truman. He succeeded a popular president, took difficult stands for integration, controlling a popular General and keeping dignity vs. the Red Scare hysteria. He won a close re-election that many thought he could not win.

When he left he has as low a rating as any outgoing president but is regarded with more esteem 55 years later.

Perhaps a better analogy might be Truman. He succeeded a popular president, took difficult stands for integration, controlling a popular General and keeping dignity vs. the Red Scare hysteria. He won a close re-election that many thought he could not win.

When he left he has as low a rating as any outgoing president but is regarded with more esteem 55 years later.

I knew you were a big GWB fan. ;)

Just kidding, I agree that your analogy is more appropriate. :thumb:

What I mean to say is that, in July of 1963, the majority of Americans would have said that Lincoln has been a bad president. Same would say the same about Bush now. Am I saying that Bush will go down with as good a legacy as Lincoln? Absolutely not. But what I am saying is that there is little chance that Bush's legacy 50 years from now will be the same as many Americans think of him currently

I disagree at that time the opinion was probably about the same as today.:D