What in the Sam Hill happened to ESPN Classic?

Jim Schue

This channel used to be great. Old World Series and NBA playoffs broadcasts from the '70s. Great old-school NCAA hoops and football games. The SportsCentury series.

Nowadays, their program staples are:

Rodeo (???????)

Billiards (!?!)

American Gladiators (!?!?!?!?)

Bowling (?!?)

Poker (C'mon, haven't they beaten this fad to death?)

Boxing (don't really mind it, but they have some really obscure stuff)

AWA Wrestling from the '80s (actually, not too bad, but I was a fan in those days)

Soccer (!?!?!)

Auto racing, and not just NASCAR (?!?!)

Cheap Seats (not bad, but I'm not a regular watcher)

You Can't Blame (not bad, but it seems like they've only made about 10, as I see the same ones repeatedly)

I ask, what happened? Is ESPN actively trying to kill off this channel? It used to be great! What the heck is up with these silly niche offerings?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. What a dumb idea -- another soccer channel. When are they going to get the point that American sports fans are overwhelmingly indifferent about soccer? They might as well start up a WNBA channel while they're at it.

The writer's side not about Australian Rules Football was right on the money, though. That was great stuff back in the days of ESPN's infancy, especially the refs' crazy hand signals after a score.

Thanks. What a dumb idea -- another soccer channel. When are they going to get the point that American sports fans are overwhelmingly indifferent about soccer? They might as well start up a WNBA channel while they're at it.

The writer's side not about Australian Rules Football was right on the money, though. That was great stuff back in the days of ESPN's infancy, especially the refs' crazy hand signals after a score.

What's wrong with the WNBA? I would love for them to have their own channel. Considering their is only one game on TV every 3 or 4 months. The only time they are on National TV is during their playoffs and when ABC can't find anything else to show, which is stupid.

What's wrong with the WNBA? I would love for them to have their own channel. Considering their is only one game on TV every 3 or 4 months. The only time they are on National TV is during their playoffs and when ABC can't find anything else to show, which is stupid.

One game every 3 or 4 months? That would mean there was only one (possibly two) televised games the entire season.

They do have a deal with ESPN2 and ABC to have games televised every week, and ESPN/ABC go out of their way to hype this... I see TONS of commercials about it while trying to watch the channels.

http://www.insidehoops.com/wnba/tv.shtml

That's this season's TV schedule... Not as many TV games as the NBA, but also not as many teams, and not enough interest.

:sleep:

Let me be clear about this: I think it is great that there is such an option available for women to further their basketball careers. Those who know me know that I am a big supporter of girls' high school sports.

However, the bottom line is this w/re to the WNBA — The NBA has propped up the league for many, many years, and tried in vain to market it to regular basketball fans, to no avail. If the NBA wasn't propping it up as they have for more than a decade, the WNBA would've gone away long ago because of lack of mainstream interest. It's been a money pit for the NBA for a long time.

A WNBA channel would be one of the most colossal money-losers in history, and any executive who tried to launch something like this would probably be drummed out of the industry for such a dumb mistake. Besides, the WNBA has its own channels right now. They're called Lifetime and Oxygen, and they cater nicely to the WNBA's microscopic niche audience.