Cute figures of speech

mcpapa

Someone told me today that they used to "smoke like a green stump." I hadn't heard that one before.

Surely we grew up with relatives and their peculiar figures of speech. My grandmother used to say things like, "It's snowing a breeze" and, "I have to pee so bad my eye teeth are floating."

Anyone else?

"Now we're cookin' with gas!"

"Cool beans!"

My father had some doozies:

"I'm going to knock you into next week."

"I'll rip your arm off and beat you with the wet end."

"If brains was gasoline, he wouldn't have enought to drive a flea's car around the inside of a Cheerio."

My all time favorite when I asked my grandfather who he was voting for: "It's like choosing between diptheria and typhoid."

"Now we're cookin' with gas!"

"Cool beans!"

My father had some doozies:

"I'm going to knock you into next week."

"I'll rip your arm off and beat you with the wet end."

"If brains was gasoline, he wouldn't have enought to drive a flea's car around the inside of a Cheerio."

My all time favorite when I asked my grandfather who he was voting for: "It's like choosing between diptheria and typhoid."

So HHS, did you ever get into any trouble??? :D

So HHS, did you ever get into any trouble??? :D

:lol: Sure, but I can only think of one time where I thought he might carry it out. I gave my parents a good scare by coming home way late and not letting them know where I was. He was always as good of a father as I could hope for. He just liked to sound tough. :lol:

:lol: Sure, but I can only think of one time where I thought he might carry it out. I gave my parents a good scare by coming home way late and not letting them know where I was. He was always as good of a father as I could hope for. He just liked to sound tough. :lol:

I know a guy or 2 like that :lol:

My mother says her father would always tell her & her siblings, "I'll give you something to cry for!"...I think that would be a pretty common one.

I think this one fits... For awhile I've heard it said about people that um, seem to lack in the intelligence area that "When God was giving out brains they thought he said trains and they said 'give me a slow one'"

I've heard that one since I can remember...

I have heard one similar to one of HHSDad's but it was always "Now were cookin' in grease!"

Someone would say...My car is smoking....my dad would say; let it smoke, it can't chew.

"If they put your brain in a birds rear end, it would fly backwards".

"I don't think his elevator goes all the way to the tenth floor".

Can't never could do nothin.

a few that come to mind........

Who let the cat out of the bag?

Let the sleeping dog lie..

Without a leg to stand on..

Mountains from molehills..

Money where your mouth is...

Made your own bed..

:laugh::laugh: I can relate that one to this years presidential election.

Right now I am calling them the three blind mice.

A lot that I was going to mention has already been mentioned.

"Can't never could do nothin'" (My dad's favorite)

"I'm gonna cut a switch"

"He's runnin' around like a chicken with it's head cut off"

A couple that I can print or filter on BGP from my grandfather.....when someone would mash their finger, toe or similar....

"I'll bet that's throbbin' like a young robin's butt in the springtime"

when someone was dressed up he would ask.......

"Where you preachin'" or "You look like a Philadelpia lawer" and

" Every politician that I have ever talked to would never tell you the truth and the rest of them are just dang liar's"

Another one of my favorites that I heard from my dad when talking about a politician....

"If he ain't a crook when he goes in office then he sure will be by the time he gets out"

Edited by oldrambler