Somerset Job

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see Jackson leaving LC this year, maybe next. He has had a good run and his daughter is graduating. He does have a lot of good talent on the way, so you never know.

I think it is great that other 12th region schools want LC coaches. Boyle County made a run at Jackson too, it just means he is coveted and successful.

Just a rumor, thats all.

Steve Payne is interested, and three others who are coaching or have coached in the region before.

If the three others are the same names that I have heard, Somerset fans need to hope Payne and Jackson are still out there and interested. As I said earlier someone local is not what that program needs. I am sure no one beleived me earlier when I said some of the young talent may be leaving, well the one to Northern Middle happened. And there seems to be a pretty big rumor surrounding another young athlete rumored to go to Wayne, it appears now that Coach Jones or Shultz may get a gift.

He does have a lot of good talent on the way, so you never know.

I agree about the upcoming talent! Even though they aren't in high school yet, watch out for the class of 2013. I definitely see more trips to the state tournament in the near future! :banana:

Steve Payne ia a Russell Co. native. Played there and at Union. Has been college asst.for the past few years at Georgetown College and ETSU. Steve is the son of Bob Payne who was the last coach of Liberty High School,Casey County during their best years in the 70's, then at Russell Co.

Steve Payne ia a Russell Co. native. Played there and at Union. Has been college asst.for the past few years at Georgetown College and ETSU. Steve is the son of Bob Payne who was the last coach of Liberty High School,Casey County during their best years in the 70's, then at Russell Co.

You need to get your facts straight. Payne is an assistant for Tennessee Tech not ETSU. Their record was horrible this year and the whole coaching staff at Tennessee Tech is losing their jobs. Steve Payne would not be a good hire. Just because you coach college basketball does not mean you would be a good high school coach.

It amazes me that everytime a job comes open Jim Bob Hicks name is associated with it. The guy has more controversy surrounding him than Brittany Spears. Just maybe, the Somerset administration needs to call Owlsey County and Greenup County school officials to find out. Jim Hicks is a good person but an average coach at best.

You need to get your facts straight. Payne is an assistant for Tennessee Tech not ETSU. Their record was horrible this year and the whole coaching staff at Tennessee Tech is losing their jobs. Steve Payne would not be a good hire. Just because you coach college basketball does not mean you would be a good high school coach.

I don't beleive I said anything about how good a fit or how good he would be. But I do beleive that being from outside that area with no ties to the community would make him a better fit then anyone locally. Sorry I put the wrong Tennessee school.

It amazes me that everytime a job comes open Jim Bob Hicks name is associated with it. The guy has more controversy surrounding him than Brittany Spears. Just maybe, the Somerset administration needs to call Owlsey County and Greenup County school officials to find out. Jim Hicks is a good person but an average coach at best.

Bath Co. had their best season in school history under him this year. If you have read the latest articles in the Ashland Daily then you would have known that the United States Department of Education found in Coach Hicks favor. They said that he was wrongfully fired and retaliated against. So, I definitely would not listen to anything that Greenup has to say. Coach Hicks is a very good coach and like I said he would be a great hire for Somerset. Now will he take the job is yet to be determined. I do know that he is very happy at Bath Co.

The talent level at Somerset in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grades upcoming is outstanding! It would be a great situation for any coach to come in with no pressure to win and implement their system and then reep the rewards in 2-3 years. I look for the Jumpers to make 2-3 sweet sixteen trips in the next 6 years. Someone is going to be very happy they took this job!