Somerset Job

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Thacker will be missed.

He chose to go to Rowan for his family and to be near his family.

Link http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/archivesearch/local_story_140202421.html

Rowan Co. has made a good hire.

The new coach at Somerset, whether a familiar name or someone from outside the 12th region, deserves our total support.

LOL, this is another interesting post. There is a lot of people out there with their ears open, and saying things about this situation, A LOT. Sounds like someone has heard the same thing I have and is trying to mend some bridges. Best thing I can say is a familiar name is fine, but you will be making a mistake if is a local familiar name. Actually LMAO.

I guess that post just caught me by surprise, backing up and talking about the reasons Thacker took the job in Rowan I think that has been addressed. My sources tell me or talk about some things that made that decision a little easier. But I don't beleive we need to go there, but you did open the door. Then you talked about support, another interesting key word. Again from the people that I have talked to that word has some significance but this stuff is 2nd and 3rd hand so I won't mention details that I have not heard myself. But again you need to hope your people at SHS stays away from familiar local or the transition process may be different than some anticipate.

Is former North Laurel coach Kenny Woods interested in the job, word is he would like to get back in to coaching.

Ha ha ha! Please tell me your kidding? And I guess he's also going to get The Thunder from Down Under back too?

I don't beleive I said anything about how good a fit or how good he would be. But I do beleive that being from outside that area with no ties to the community would make him a better fit then anyone locally. Sorry I put the wrong Tennessee school.

Why would hiring someone inside the Pulaski/ Somerset Community be such a bad thing. I thought Coach Thacker did a great job when he played against us so I think losing him will definitely hurt, but how can hiring a local coach be so wrong? I believe the people that were clamoring to have Thacker replaced will get a big dose of disappointment if they move out of the community to hire a retread from some other community or a Junior Varsity Coach that has not been through the constant politics of High School Sports and that is according to Somerset Die Hards politics is awful there. If they go outside they will be setting the program up for parents to run the show. Just my opinion. I also heard that SHS administration is looking to flip flop with Rowan County. That is an absolut Joke and another great move.

Why would hiring someone inside the Pulaski/ Somerset Community be such a bad thing. I thought Coach Thacker did a great job when he played against us so I think losing him will definitely hurt, but how can hiring a local coach be so wrong? I believe the people that were clamoring to have Thacker replaced will get a big dose of disappointment if they move out of the community to hire a retread from some other community or a Junior Varsity Coach that has not been through the constant politics of High School Sports and that is according to Somerset Die Hards politics is awful there. If they go outside they will be setting the program up for parents to run the show. Just my opinion. I also heard that SHS administration is looking to flip flop with Rowan County. That is an absolut Joke and another great move.

The politics are exactly what they need to avoid and what many of the people don't want. Politics is what gets the parents involved. The coaches available from within this community comes with ties that make it hard to do an effective job. That is what sets the parents up to coach. Someone from the outside will atleast come in with an open mind and evaluate from what he sees. It is a good thing we all have opinions, what do you know that is so bad about the Rowan coach. He seems to be very knowledgeable, I have heard he works some of the camps in the summer so he is around talent. One more time best advice possible - hire someone from outside the SHS community.

The politics are exactly what they need to avoid and what many of the people don't want. Politics is what gets the parents involved. The coaches available from within this community comes with ties that make it hard to do an effective job. That is what sets the parents up to coach. Someone from the outside will atleast come in with an open mind and evaluate from what he sees. It is a good thing we all have opinions, what do you know that is so bad about the Rowan coach. He seems to be very knowledgeable, I have heard he works some of the camps in the summer so he is around talent. One more time best advice possible - hire someone from outside the SHS community.

Don Daniels is a great person and a very good coach. He would do a tremendous job for and school district in the state. Roscoe Denny is a great basketball mind and he might be the best fit depending on the teaching positions available in the Somerset district. Roscoe is retired, so he could just take the coaching job and not tie up any positions. Not sure about the locals that have shown interest. I am sure they are all good applicants.