Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Oklahoma State makes dubious choice with Ford

Featured Replies

Sorry, Oklahoma State fans, but Iʼm sure you expected all that T. Boone Pickens money would buy something flashier than a Ford.

 

Throughout the winter, the buzz throughout college basketball was that OK State would move out Sean Sutton and throw so much money onto the table that Kansas coach Bill Self would have to consider heading home to his alma mater. Others suggested a secondary target might be Kentucky's Billy Gillispie, who, after all, hadn't signed a contract so surely that meant something.

 

Well, it didn't mean much in this matter. Oklahoma State will hire Massachusetts coach Travis Ford, who had parlayed an above-average performance into so many high-profile interviews his representation ought to go in the Agent Hall Of Fame along with Leigh Steinberg, Arn Tellem, Jerry McGuire and James Bond.

 

It's hard to tell which elevator was moving faster here:

 

The one dropping OK State from the dream of hiring a championship coach with strong regional ties and a national profile to landing (maybe) the Atlantic 10's sixth-best coach?

 

Or:

 

The one carrying Ford from the disappointment of missing two straight NCAA Tournaments with tournament-level teams to a multi-million-dollar job in a prestige league coaching a team that will be led by an All-America candidate, wing James Anderson, and whose top four scorers last season were underclassmen?

 

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=400739

Thats a little harsh towards Ford. But its Oklahoma St. They aren't a powerhouse basketball program. They have been a very solid and consistent program, but not a top 15 program either. I would be willing to bet that Ford sees this as a possible stepping stone to go somewhere even better in his eyes.

  • Author
Thats a little harsh towards Ford.

 

This isn't a Doyel article. Decourcy hit the nail on the head once again...

This isn't a Doyel article. Decourcy hit the nail on the head once again...

 

The one part of Lance's show I like.

This isn't a Doyel article. Decourcy hit the nail on the head once again...

 

I am not a big Ford fan and unlike a lot of UK fans I don't get excited when thinking or hoping that Ford may one day coach at UK. That being said I believe he is a pretty good coach and is up and coming. The 6th best coach in the A-10 is a little harsh. While his regular season goals fell short this year I thought he did a good job of coaching in the NIT.

 

IMO hes not Sean Miller, but he definitly aint John Brady either.

  • Author
I am not a big Ford fan and unlike a lot of UK fans I don't get excited when thinking or hoping that Ford may one day coach at UK. That being said I believe he is a pretty good coach and is up and coming. The 6th best coach in the A-10 is a little harsh. While his regular season goals fell short this year I thought he did a good job of coaching in the NIT.

 

IMO hes not Sean Miller, but he definitly aint John Brady either.

The point is his regular season goals have been mostly a flop in the training grounds. He hasn't won recruiting battles, and he hasn't shown to be a plus in game coach.

 

OK State is a storied program in a storied league. Spin it however you'd like, but that's fact.

 

Ford has had a pretty good career so far. We'll find out pretty quickly if he can answer some serious flaws in his resume...

Oklahoma State: The program

 

Final Fours: 3 (1951, 1995, 2004)

Runner-up (to Kentucky) - 1949

Championship: 2 (Back-to-Back, 1945 over NYU, 1946 over North Carolina).

I'm not sold on Ford as a coach, but I think he's a decent hire. He's an up-and-coming coach & he's getting a great opportunity - one that EKU & UMass sure wouldn't have been able to match. I think he'll do well.

The point is his regular season goals have been mostly a flop in the training grounds. He hasn't won recruiting battles, and he hasn't shown to be a plus in game coach.

 

OK State is a storied program in a storied league. Spin it however you'd like, but that's fact.

 

Ford has had a pretty good career so far. We'll find out pretty quickly if he can answer some serious flaws in his resume...

 

I am sure Ford is still learning. Where was UMass at before Ford? I hadn't heard a word about them since Calipari left. One thing he did do was leave the program in much better shape than it was when he got there.

Does storied program mean their success was so long ago you have to read about it in a story?

Ford couldnt even win when it mattered in the NAIA. On top of that he got caught breaking the rules with an illegal player at Camp......did anyone know the NAIA had rules?.....

I don't like Ford. I have seen him interact with people in the community and I didn't like what I saw.

I don't like Ford. I have seen him interact with people in the community and I didn't like what I saw.

 

A lot of people I know at EKU said he isnt the nicest person they have met either. He talked down to just about everyone in the athletic department and just generally wasnt a nice guy.

 

I do wonder what the progression was for OSU. Self, maybe Gillispie, Ford. Or are there some in there they looked into that we didnt hear about. I'm just curious.

A lot of people I know at EKU said he isnt the nicest person they have met either. He talked down to just about everyone in the athletic department and just generally wasnt a nice guy.

 

I do wonder what the progression was for OSU. Self, maybe Gillispie, Ford. Or are there some in there they looked into that we didnt hear about. I'm just curious.

 

I'll confirm that.

As far as his coaching, I'm still up in the air. We'll see how he does in a real conference.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.