Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bud Mackey?

Featured Replies

I am sick and tired of athletes, no matter what level, making a public apology, and have a lawyer get them second, and third chances on drug and gun charges. Evidently he did what he wanted to do the last couple of years at SC and his grandfather, mother-where ever she is, Coach Hicks and and anyone else with some authority over this kid couldn't tell him what to do. So forget the diversion program, let him play a while for KDC- KY Dept. of Corrections! Or just let Chris Henry mentor him!:lol:

  • Replies 63
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a first time offender, if anything the court is being harder on him because of is high profile basketball abilites, some with the same offense would simply enter a drug diversion program.

 

I know many in Mackey's situation (first time offender) who only had to submit to probation +/- drug court. Being Mackey is a high schooler I would think the punishment would be right a long the same lines, if not less. If he did have to serve jail time given his age, and his first offense then I must say this is the first time that I have ever saw this happen. Like said normally, probation, drug court, fines, community service, etc. is about the jist of the scenario, not jail time.

 

I also know of a at least 3 people that were in similar situations but were not on school property that got major jail time. I guess this arguement is for another thread.

I am sick and tired of athletes, no matter what level, making a public apology, and have a lawyer get them second, and third chances on drug and gun charges. Evidently he did what he wanted to do the last couple of years at SC and his grandfather, mother-where ever she is, Coach Hicks and and anyone else with some authority over this kid couldn't tell him what to do. So forget the diversion program, let him play a while for KDC- KY Dept. of Corrections! Or just let Chris Henry mentor him!:lol:

 

If they screw up once...throw them to the dogs, you wouldnt make a very good teacher! By the way Mackey's mother works in the school system.

Agreed. :thumb:

 

Mackey will need to add as much credibility as possible and Hargrave would most definately be at the top as far as credible prep schools go.

 

However, it doesn't seem as if Mackey has been good at making good decisions so whats the chances he preps at one of Kentucky's little private academy's to stay close to home? (hate to keep throwing out the what if's):D

 

Does Kentucky even have any more Juco or Preps? I think there may be a juco in lousiville but St. Cats just went NAIA.

If they screw up once...throw them to the dogs, you wouldnt make a very good teacher! By the way Mackey's mother works in the school system.

 

Your absolutely right, I wouldn't! Because I couldn't or wouldn't put up the crap that is allowed to go on these schools and of course our tax dollars pay to take away all disciplinary actions that used to be allowed when I went to school. Anyway, I am for him trying to get get his life together, but second chance he was given at Harmony Prep didn't seem to work did it. This kid needs to grow up and pay his debt to society. Get his GED and decide what kind of career other than playing basketball would best benefit him. If he wants to further his education after that, good for him, get student loans, pick a college, go to class, graduate, and become a tax paying member of society like the rest of us. Being a UK fan, I just can't fathom giving him a scholarship or prefered walk-on status. The program needs quality players and talent, on and off the court, not problem children. AS for most of the UK fans that post on here, I think the majority don't feel he deserves to be rewarded with a place on the team.:fight:

Agreed, but I'm never a fan of giving up on a kid, he is just that a kid. Not all kids are raised the same of some of us, which may be the part of the reason for the situation he is in. You are correct in the part that he needs to hold up some end of the bargain before he is "rewarded" my guess is he will never be a Division 1 Basketball player. But will I ever give up on him? No just like I havent given up on the numerous other kids from our community that have made the same stupid decisions, my hope is one day they will make the right decision...but it is just that......hope!

Agreed, but I'm never a fan of giving up on a kid, he is just that a kid. Not all kids are raised the same of some of us, which may be the part of the reason for the situation he is in. You are correct in the part that he needs to hold up some end of the bargain before he is "rewarded" my guess is he will never be a Division 1 Basketball player. But will I ever give up on him? No just like I havent given up on the numerous other kids from our community that have made the same stupid decisions, my hope is one day they will make the right decision...but it is just that......hope!

 

I agree with you on this 100%!:thumb:

Another Mackey thread about a "kid" who just made one teensy mistake and shouldn't we all get another chance (if we can run, jump and shoot well enough that is.):rolleyes:

 

Mackey got busted with crack, and not trace amounts. Chances are it wasn't his first time running it, either. He was 18 at the time, and helping deal drugs at a school.

 

If Bud Mackey couldn't ball, 99% of the people on this board would say throw him away.

 

Our drug policies are stupid. Stupid to the core. But if people are going to support draconian punishments on drugs, they should at least be consistent and not waffle when the defendant might play basketball for UK (and without even filing up a scholarship, what a deal!)

:madman::fight::mad::walk:

Another Mackey thread about a "kid" who just made one teensy mistake and shouldn't we all get another chance (if we can run, jump and shoot well enough that is.):rolleyes:

 

Mackey got busted with crack, and not trace amounts. Chances are it wasn't his first time running it, either. He was 18 at the time, and helping deal drugs at a school.

 

If Bud Mackey couldn't ball, 99% of the people on this board would say throw him away.

 

Our drug policies are stupid. Stupid to the core. But if people are going to support draconian punishments on drugs, they should at least be consistent and not waffle when the defendant might play basketball for UK (and without even filing up a scholarship, what a deal!)

:madman::fight::mad::walk:

 

 

But its okay at Louisville for a player to pull a gun on a teammate and get into trouble and still be fine. :rolleyes: I don't know if that happened or not, but apparently with the situation somewhere along the lines some big mistakes were made that could have went bad.

 

I believe this young man deserves a 2nd chance! If that means putting him in jail for a few months to make him realize the error of his ways I understand that. But I don't think it would be right to just lock him up for a 2 to 5 years and really ruin his life. Everyone makes mistakes and this was a huge one. But I can't see sticking it to this kid and not giving him an opportunity in the somewhat near future to turn things around.

The problem at hand here is he still doesnt understand the error of his ways......not sure when that is going to click...

The problem at hand here is he still doesnt understand the error of his ways......not sure when that is going to click...

 

Based on?

Based on?

Maybe dropping out of Harmony to start...

Maybe dropping out of Harmony to start...

 

Ahh.. I thought they closed/were shut down, not that he just dropped out.

 

I was wondering if he'd gotten in trouble again.

If Harmony hasnt closed/shut down, they arent far from it. From the info I got, that place was a joke to begin with and they likely werent going to be able to get him eligible anyway.

If Harmony hasnt closed/shut down, they arent far from it. From the info I got, that place was a joke to begin with and they likely werent going to be able to get him eligible anyway.

If you believe the trumped up charges against the school from a guy who's only job is to shut down Prep Schools in Ohio. The problems there are no different than a large majority of Cincinnati Public Schools...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.