April 8, 200818 yr Why pre-designate someone as a sub? Especially someone who is hitting the way Kepp is and might very well be the future at SS.Because Keppinger is 28 and no one thinks he is good enough defensively to handle shortstop on a regular basis. And also because the two players at his two best positions have proven a lot more on the major league level and have more upside than he has. The Reds are asking for problems if they are going to "build around" someone like Encarnacion. He is not a "foundation of the team" type of player.I didn't say he is the cornerstone of the franchise. At this point, the Reds' lineup figures to be built around Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce in the long-term future, but Encarnacion is young enough and talented enough to be one of the NL's better third baseman in that time.
April 8, 200818 yr He has 3 errors in 25 games at third, that comes out to an error ever 8 games or 20 per 162. That isn't exactly Gold Glove level and only marginally better than the other two. He's also 3 years older than E-5 and doesn't have nearly the upside as a hitter. Kepp has those errors in spot duty, not as an eveyday player. EE is one of the worse fielders in the national league. It can't get any worse. Doesn't have the upside as hitter, I beg to differ. Keppinger is much better of a hitter. EE has not proven he can live up the the hype that has been placed on him. Just look at Kepp's career batting average, including minors, compared to EE. He's only got 7 errors in 126 career games. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7414/career;_ylt=Ahmbj71ijXgcGcAlqdHbV6CFCLcF EE has 53 errors, in 313 carerr games. Grant it, he did cut them down last year, but he is off to a rough start again this year. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7278/career;_ylt=Ahmbj71ijXgcGcAlqdHbV6CFCLcF Neither one of these guys are mistaken for good great fielders. I just feel Kepp is more steady and a better hitter. He will hit .300 plus given enough at bats.r For my money, I would much rather have Keppinger than EE at any position.
April 8, 200818 yr Kepp has played a great SS, just look at his zone and range stats, just as good as Gonzo's. Also who is gonna hit 2nd? Gonzo? That would kill the lineup.
April 8, 200818 yr Kepp has those errors in spot duty, not as an eveyday player. EE is one of the worse fielders in the national league. It can't get any worse. Doesn't have the upside as hitter, I beg to differ. Keppinger is much better of a hitter. EE has not proven he can live up the the hype that has been placed on him. Just look at Kepp's career batting average, including minors, compared to EE. He's only got 7 errors in 126 career games. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7414/career;_ylt=Ahmbj71ijXgcGcAlqdHbV6CFCLcF EE has 53 errors, in 313 carerr games. Grant it, he did cut them down last year, but he is off to a rough start again this year. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7278/career;_ylt=Ahmbj71ijXgcGcAlqdHbV6CFCLcF Neither one of these guys are mistaken for good great fielders. I just feel Kepp is more steady and a better hitter. He will hit .300 plus given enough at bats.r For my money, I would much rather have Keppinger than EE at any position. Thank goodness you are willing to pay their salaries. You're mistaking a scrappy player for a great one. Keppinger is fun to watch but it would be a mistake to get rid of E-5 for him.
April 8, 200818 yr I don't know if Kepp is the answer at 3rd. Perhaps a platoon w/Freel at 3rd would be my choice. But it seems for 3 seasons now we all talk about how young E-5 is and that he has so much upside. Well, when is his youth going to turn into experience? He's as poor a fielder at his position as there is in the league. He's streaky at the plate. He finished well last year offensively, but IMO, he's not what I'd build around if I were the GM, at least at that position. If I were the Reds and they had long term hopes for him, I'd be doing my best to see if that cat couldn't play the other corner this next offseason. His left hand works fine, it's when he puts it in his right one that he turns into Knoblauch.
April 8, 200818 yr We're 7 games into the season, and it's amazing to me that people are already complaining about Encarnacion offensively. Give me a break. EE proved last year that he can put up some good numbers at this level. He is the best option the Reds have at 3rd base.
April 8, 200818 yr We're 7 games into the season, and it's amazing to me that people are already complaining about Encarnacion offensively. Give me a break. EE proved last year that he can put up some good numbers at this level. He is the best option the Reds have at 3rd base. If you're referring to me complaining about him offensively, I wasn't. I was complaining about him defensively. I think he would be better at the other corner.
April 8, 200818 yr If you're referring to me complaining about him offensively, I wasn't. I was complaining about him defensively. I think he would be better at the other corner. So you want to move him to 1st base. Where do you put Votto? EE needs to be the Reds 3rd basemen until they have someone better to put there.
April 8, 200818 yr Thank goodness you are willing to pay their salaries. You're mistaking a scrappy player for a great one. Keppinger is fun to watch but it would be a mistake to get rid of E-5 for him. I agree, Kepp is a scrappy player. But neither one of them are great. And I would not deal EE to make room for Kepp. But you must admit, EE has a long way to go. Especially on defense and attitude.
April 8, 200818 yr We're 7 games into the season, and it's amazing to me that people are already complaining about Encarnacion offensively. Give me a break. EE proved last year that he can put up some good numbers at this level. He is the best option the Reds have at 3rd base. .289 16 HR's are decent. But 16 HR's equals about 10 or 11 in most parks. Not very much from the corner position. I think they should give him a little more time, but I wish he would change his attitude, learn how to bunt and learn how to throw it from 3rd to 1st.
April 8, 200818 yr .289 16 HR's are decent. But 16 HR's equals about 10 or 11 in most parks. Not very much from the corner position. I think they should give him a little more time, but I wish he would change his attitude, learn how to bunt and learn how to throw it from 3rd to 1st. Homeruns are overrated. You failed to mention his RBI's and batting average with RISP. There's no doubt that EE's biggest problem is his footwork when throwing. The fact remains that he's the best option at third base at the present time.
April 8, 200818 yr Homeruns are overrated. You failed to mention his RBI's and batting average with RISP. There's no doubt that EE's biggest problem is his footwork when throwing. The fact remains that he's the best option at third base at the present time. I agree he is the best option at this time, and I want them to give him this year before moving elsewhere. BTW, he has never drove in 80 runs. Very weak for 3rd baseman. I will give you the RISP, he is good at that. Which is puzzling to me, seems he needs something to get him focused before he performs. Just like fielding, he makes the hard plays and blows the routine plays.
April 8, 200818 yr I agree he is the best option at this time, and I want them to give him this year before moving elsewhere. BTW, he has never drove in 80 runs. Very weak for 3rd baseman. I will give you the RISP, he is good at that. He has also yet to play a full season with the Reds.
April 8, 200818 yr Homeruns are overrated. You failed to mention his RBI's and batting average with RISP. There's no doubt that EE's biggest problem is his footwork when throwing. The fact remains that he's the best option at third base at the present time. My argument for his move to first base is to wait until season's end and make it a competition at first. Hatte will be gone, make the competition between E-5 and Votto. I will concede that E-5 is the best option at 3rd currently. However, when Gonzo is healthy, I disagree that he's the best option at 3rd. And FWIW, I may also disagree that he's the best offensive option at 3rd if and when Gonzo returns. I may take Kepp at 3rd. Kepp's knock is that he doesn't have tremendous range, yada, yada but makes all the plays he should. Well, is that not enough to play 3rd? And play it better than our current "best option"? Surely you'd have to consider that if things don't change defensively for E-5. And I'll not even go over his prowess on the basepaths.
April 8, 200818 yr He has also yet to play a full season with the Reds. You're right, he was at Louisville for a spell last season!:sssh:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.