Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Basketball in this state = Better than ever

Featured Replies

In the year I have been on BGP there has been a thought by many on here that football has overtaken basketball in this state. After this year I believe that can be put to rest.

 

The State Tourney was as good as any, the 13-16th regions have improved tremendously and the number of players from Kentucky on a national stage doing well is as high as ever. The level of D1 players in the state is as high as ever.

 

 

I think that it could be put to rest.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to disagree ... and besides, you can't base everything on one season. Louisville was as down as it's been in some time, and that area is pretty significant when trying to evaluate Kentucky as a whole.

I would disagree also. Football has overtaken basketball, even after going to six classes

I third that motion. Football has gained a great deal of popularity in the state. In the regular season go to a football game and count the fans, then go to a regular season basketball game and count the fans, no comparison.

 

And, I know the argument, but the number of football scholarships have increased by a bunch for kids from Kentucky.

I would disagree also. Football has overtaken basketball, even after going to six classes

 

I'm not sure about that. I don't believe the football state championship is even close to basketball state championship Sweet 16 event. I think the biggest thing is Louisville has really become a football town.

 

I believe with this season and atleast for the next 3 or 4 years we are going to see a higher level of talent in the state as we have had in a long time.

Football has overtaken basketball, even after going to six classes
I agree. Football has asserted itself in the state, and is taking a position of prominence.

NOW NOW,

 

Think how long has it been for Kentucky Allstars to have a real chance to bet Indiana Allstars?

 

WE have Mr. Miller, Mr. Hopson and Mr. Mack and a host of others to have a

Big chance to win the game!:dancingpa

True, but we have beaten Tennessee in recent years in football which was equivalent to us beating Indiana in basketball. Then, Tennesee canceled the series. Football is easily king of KY and will continue to be for years to come. I can load up my car with guys skipping work for a ride to Louisville to watch the state championship games, but I ride alone when it comes to the sweet sixteen. Just the facts. Football is the new national pasttime and it is obviously taking over as king of KY as well.

True, but we have beaten Tennessee in recent years in football which was equivalent to us beating Indiana in basketball. Then, Tennesee canceled the series. Football is easily king of KY and will continue to be for years to come. I can load up my car with guys skipping work for a ride to Louisville to watch the state championship games, but I ride alone when it comes to the sweet sixteen. Just the facts. Football is the new national pasttime and it is obviously taking over as king of KY as well.

 

Why can it be just both football and basketball be better than ever! How can you say football makes basketball better?

 

Sweet 16 Championship game 21,000 please better than ever!

I would have to disagree ... and besides, you can't base everything on one season. Louisville was as down as it's been in some time, and that area is pretty significant when trying to evaluate Kentucky as a whole.

 

I agree. This was not an exceptional year for the sweet 16, and a big part of that is the Louisville regions being down. Not a knock on Louisville at all, but when their schools are really good, the state is up for the most part.

I would disagree also. Football has overtaken basketball, even after going to six classes

 

In what way?

I third that motion. Football has gained a great deal of popularity in the state. In the regular season go to a football game and count the fans, then go to a regular season basketball game and count the fans, no comparison.

 

And, I know the argument, but the number of football scholarships have increased by a bunch for kids from Kentucky.

 

For the most part, the weather during the football regular season is much more conducive to getting out in general. Also, more than twice as many Johnny and Joe's actually get to start than in basketball (more parents will show obviously). The marching band parents are there for the home team.

 

I've been to football playoff games where attendance was certainly on the MCI plan (friends and family only). I've been to basketball playoff games where people who waited in line for more than two hours couldn't get a ticket. What does that say, if attendance is your barometer?

 

And FWIW, I'm not picking a fight. I think the upper level of football in Kentucky has gotten MUCH better in the last 15 years. I respect your point of view and insights, but I think the attendance arguement is a poor one if you want to compare the sports.

For the most part, the weather during the football regular season is much more conducive to getting out in general. Also, more than twice as many Johnny and Joe's actually get to start than in basketball (more parents will show obviously). The marching band parents are there for the home team.

 

I've been to football playoff games where attendance was certainly on the MCI plan (friends and family only). I've been to basketball playoff games where people who waited in line for more than two hours couldn't get a ticket. What does that say, if attendance is your barometer?

 

And FWIW, I'm not picking a fight. I think the upper level of football in Kentucky has gotten MUCH better in the last 15 years. I respect your point of view and insights, but I think the attendance argument is a poor one if you want to compare the sports.

I understand your argument and it is not without merit. I just see football as more of an event then basketball. I do like basketball and attend games. Not so many years ago, when I attended basketball games the crowds were much bigger, still with the same amount of players. Football, for the most part, has held it attendance, and in many cases has increased dramatically.

 

I don't only base my opinion on attendance, but football, as a whole, has increased in popularity throughout the state. There was a want and a need for spring practice sessions which has happened, there is more sports coverage of Kentucky football, there has been a want for more football and regional all star games have been scheduled, football college recruiting has increased dramatically in Kentucky, and the level of competition has increased.

 

There is not a real scientific formula for my opinion, just a feeling that I have experienced. I hear more people speculating about football, which used to be more reserved for basketball, in my area, and I have witnessed more of an interest by people not directly involved in football. Just my opinion.

Football and basketball is both big throughout the state. But like I said, the biggest change has been in Louisville. Louisville hasn't produced near the players in basketball that it used to. A lot has to do with support and coaching in these areas.

In the year I have been on BGP there has been a thought by many on here that football has overtaken basketball in this state. After this year I believe that can be put to rest.

 

The State Tourney was as good as any, the 13-16th regions have improved tremendously and the number of players from Kentucky on a national stage doing well is as high as ever. The level of D1 players in the state is as high as ever.

 

 

I think that it could be put to rest.

 

Disagree also. The golden era in KY High School bball has long since past.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.