Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Basketball in this state = Better than ever

Featured Replies

As a timekeeper for both sports, I would agree that football does in fact hold a slight edge over basketball for being the most popular sport around the Commonwealth. Football does have more of a crowd weather it be just a non-district game or district game the fan base is always there. Now in Basketball you might get 200 people from both schools in the gym if it is not a rival or district game. (depending on what school you support)

  • Replies 49
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a timekeeper for both sports, I would agree that football does in fact hold a slight edge over basketball for being the most popular sport around the Commonwealth. Football does have more of a crowd weather it be just a non-district game or district game the fan base is always there. Now in Basketball you might get 200 people from both schools in the gym if it is not a rival or district game. (depending on what school you support)
Depends on where you live, too ...
I used to agree with that and some of the issues you bring up are a problem. There are some shady characters. However if parents do their homework there are some legitimate programs out there right now that do a good job. Teams are more organized and good fundamentals are being taught. A young kid will benefit more on an AAU team run right then playing in the back yard. Too many AAU teams play every weekend and a lot of pressure put on these kids by parents and coaches. Thats why parents need to do their homework and ask questions about money, commitments, travel, and amount of games they will play. AAU has made a huge impact on improving the girls. Just look at all the young players starting on varsity teams in Louisville. They all played AAU's

 

A fair and rational response. I agree with some of what you're saying, but some of it I don't go along with so much.

 

I'll agree there are some good AAU teams out there that offer a great deal to the advantage of the player. I think they are few and far between, but I've seen a few.

 

I'll also agree that younger level teams and teams in general shouldn't be playing every weekend.

 

I disagree however, that kids automatically get more out of AAU than playing pick up games. It depends on who you're playing with, the parameters involved in either scenerio, and what else the kid is doing in the driveway or wherever. Basketball is a sport that one can improve as a player alone.

 

Maybe you've seen more teaching of fundamentals in AAU than I have, but I haven't seen it much. As I said, I've seen some exceptional AAU clubs that were very fundamentally sound, but I've seen far, far more AAU clubs that do everything totally wrong and don't even know it.

 

As for the young girls starting in Louisville, how do you know they're starting just because of AAU? Maybe, they're just that talented. Or maybe, they'd be even better had they been in the driveway. ;)

Some basketball teams in KY should be rated in the nation preseason next year!

I would disagree also. Football has overtaken basketball, even after going to six classes

:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.