Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who wins 5A in 2008?

Featured Replies

Since we have a 6A thread lets start a 5A thread. I think this is the most interesting class when it comes to competition for a State title. You have several teams that are legitimate threats to win the final, instead of just two as in 6A. My top five:

 

1. Highlands

2. John Hardin

3. Bowling Green

4. Johnson Central

5. Owensboro

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we have a 6A thread lets start a 5A thread. I think this is the most interesting class when it comes to competition for a State title. You have several teams that are legitimate threats to win the final, instead of just two as in 6A. My top five:

 

1. Highlands

2. John Hardin

3. Bowling Green

4. Johnson Central

5. Owensboro

 

I think CC should be a candidate.

  • Author

I agree, CC should be high on the list. There are a lot of teams that could be mentioned in the top five, that's my point. 5A is a more competitive class because of depth. I just put some teams out there to start the discussion.

I agree, CC should be high on the list. There are a lot of teams that could be mentioned in the top five, that's my point. 5A is a more competitive class because of depth. I just put some teams out there to start the discussion.

 

Not sure who CC is, but if it is CovCath, I totally agree. The talk out of Park Hills from my buddies with kids there is that are thinking they will be very, very good this year and can/will beat the Birds. They have a lot of returning starters. Almost their entire offensive line and their qb on O. They also have a couple of returning starters on D. I know Van Sant is one and he is very good.

The road in the eastern part of the state will run through Highlands Bluebirds and until someone steps up I don't see it any different.

 

The road in the west is bit more diffcult with several teams having a chance at winning it all.

 

1. John Hardin

2. Owensboro

3. Bowling Green

The road in the west is bit more diffcult with several teams having a chance at winning it all.

 

1. John Hardin

2. Owensboro

3. Bowling Green

 

Christian County and Hopkinsville will be ahead of Owensboro in '08.

Christian County and Hopkinsville will be ahead of Owensboro in '08.

 

Both programs should be strong, I really didn't know what they had returning.

Hop'Town will be alot better. They were extremely young last year, but that youth had some talent. BG will still be good, but, I think down some from the past few years. O'boro lost a strong Sr class and will be down a little from last year. The east should be a 2 team race between Highlands and Cov Catholic. Christian Co could be the best of the west. They have alot of talent, athleticism and several key returnees. I'm not real familiar with John Hardin, but, if I recall from several posters last year that this years team could be special..

Hop'Town will be alot better. They were extremely young last year, but that youth had some talent. BG will still be good, but, I think down some from the past few years. O'boro lost a strong Sr class and will be down a little from last year. The east should be a 2 team race between Highlands and Cov Catholic. Christian Co could be the best of the west. They have alot of talent, athleticism and several key returnees. I'm not real familiar with John Hardin, but, if I recall from several posters last year that this years team could be special..

 

Hopkinsville visited Ft. Thomas this past season, and well they need to improve immensly to be put in a best in 5A conversation. I think it's either CovCath or Highlands at the top, with the Birds having a slight edge right now. Highlands loses a lot to graduation, but IMO they will have another very successful campaign in 08.

Top of the Mountian

Highlands

Cov. Cath.

 

The Best Mountian Climber

BG

 

Good, but not as good as the Above

John Hardin

 

Overrated in 5A (These teams would be very good one conference lower

Owensboro

Christian

Hopkinsville

Hopkinsville visited Ft. Thomas this past season, and well they need to improve immensly to be put in a best in 5A conversation. I think it's either CovCath or Highlands at the top, with the Birds having a slight edge right now. Highlands loses a lot to graduation, but IMO they will have another very successful campaign in 08.

 

Noone put them in best of 5a conversation. My comment was that they were very young but had some talent and should be much improved and a contender on the west side of the bracket. God forbid anyone mention anyone but CC or Highlands. Shame on them..It's arrogance like that, that makes other people from other areas dislike them. I did, by the way, say CC and Highlands should contend for the east. Did I not?

Noone put them in best of 5a conversation. My comment was that they were very young but had some talent and should be much improved and a contender on the west side of the bracket. God forbid anyone mention anyone but CC or Highlands. Shame on them..It's arrogance like that, that makes other people from other areas dislike them. I did, by the way, say CC and Highlands should contend for the east. Did I not?

 

The topic of the thread is who wins 5A in 2008, not who may be a contender on the west side. I was just saying theyhad a lot of work to do to get to the top. Do you disagree with that?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Highlands and CovCath end up being the best two teams in all of Class 5A in 2008. It sounds like the western side of the Class 5A playoff bracket (Bowling Green, John Hardin and Owensboro - the "Big Three" of Class 5A football from the western half of the state in 2007) will be down some from last year, and I'm getting the sense that 2007 contenders Dixie Heights and Johnson Central will be down as well.

 

I wonder about Woodford County this year? They made some noise in 2007. Also, I wonder about Clay County and Letcher County Central.

 

One thing's for sure, neither HHS nor CCH will get away with a 40-point playoff win against the other one in 2008!

The topic of the thread is who wins 5A in 2008, not who may be a contender on the west side. I was just saying theyhad a lot of work to do to get to the top. Do you disagree with that?

 

I was responding to Blockbuster who stated that Hopkinsville and Christian Co would be better than Owensboro, so I only commented that they should be better because they were young and have some talent. I definately don't think Hopkinsville will win 5a, but they could be a team that could compete to get there, being that BG and Owens are down, so, no I don't disagree, but, if you can get there, stranger things have happened..Also, I wouldnt put much stock in what Highlands did to them last year, because they pretty much did that to everyone last year and was one of there better teams ever. Wouldn't you agree..

Johnson Central will not be down in 2008. The Golden Eagles will once again be among the leading rushing teams in the state. Despite losing JK Ratliff, they return quite a bit of depth at QB in part because of Ratliff's injury two years ago. Ian Welch is one of the best all around returning players in eastern Kentucky.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.