Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who wins 5A in 2008?

Featured Replies

I was responding to Blockbuster who stated that Hopkinsville and Christian Co would be better than Owensboro, so I only commented that they should be better because they were young and have some talent. I definately don't think Hopkinsville will win 5a, but they could be a team that could compete to get there, being that BG and Owens are down, so, no I don't disagree, but, if you can get there, stranger things have happened..Also, I wouldnt put much stock in what Highlands did to them last year, because they pretty much did that to everyone last year and was one of there better teams ever. Wouldn't you agree..

 

Agreed:thumb: I do think that Highlands may be close to being that good again in 08. They are in the middle of some excellent classes coming through.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson Central will not be down in 2008. The Golden Eagles will once again be among the leading rushing teams in the state. Despite losing JK Ratliff, they return quite a bit of depth at QB in part because of Ratliff's injury two years ago. Ian Welch is one of the best all around returning players in eastern Kentucky.

 

But isn't the loss of Grimm going to be a tough one to overcome for JC?

 

Also, I left out Lincoln County in my previous post. With the loss of their head coach, I'm thinking that they will most likely be down some from last year's team.

But isn't the loss of Grimm going to be a tough one to overcome?
I think that a more experienced OL will help offset Grim's loss. Chase Richardson is a three-year starter and Nathan Dillon had some big rushing games last season. Grim played pretty banged up in the second half of the season and was not as much a factor down the stretch as he was his junior season.
Hopkinsville visited Ft. Thomas this past season, and well they need to improve immensly to be put in a best in 5A conversation. .

 

It's not real smart to base this year's team on last year's results.

It's not real smart to base this year's team on last year's results.

 

All I said was they needed to improve. Maybe it should have been worded differently. Actually, I do hope they have a really good team in 08:thumb:

I know what you mean. I have an inclination that the Hoptown - Highlands game this year will be more competitive.

A lot of people in Western Kentucky will come out for that Saturday game just to see Highlands.

I think Christian Co. May be the team to beat in the western half of 5A the running back they have will be a junior and was very impressive in the playoffs. I also look for Owensboro to not be as bad as people think. Hoptown will also be improved as well. In the Northeast there is only one team until someone beats them and that is Highlands or until the next realignment sends them back to their class. BG will be down some but always has a good team. John Hardin will also be a contendor.

 

I think the reason everyone is talking the western half of the state is because there is really no reason to talk the other until someone beats Highlands which may not happen again this year.

 

Just for the record Christian Co., Hoptown and Owensboro are all in the same district so District 1 of 5A may have some of the best games this year. The other team is Ohio Co. which Owensboro beat twice last year by a combined total of 105-7.

Top of the Mountian

Highlands

Cov. Cath.

 

The Best Mountian Climber

BG

 

Good, but not as good as the Above

John Hardin

 

Overrated in 5A (These teams would be very good one conference lower

Owensboro

Christian

Hopkinsville

 

 

CCH and Highlands should be on opposite sides of the state like X and Trinity.

CCH and Highlands should be on opposite sides of the state like X and Trinity.

 

That's good:thumb:

CCH and Highlands should be on opposite sides of the state like X and Trinity.

They also could play in their correct class according to enrollment. Maybe it would be a little more competitive for them.

They also could play in their correct class according to enrollment. Maybe it would be a little more competitive for them.

 

You beat me to that one because that is what I was going to say too. But from what I understand after this year they will be back in their correct class.

I wonder about Woodford County this year? They made some noise in 2007. Also, I wonder about Clay County and Letcher County Central.

 

 

Clay County returns their record setting QB, but there is a world of difference between Highlands and the other top tier 5A teams compared to what they will be seeing week in and week out. Clay County will win some games, play LCC in a shootout, but all in all bow out in either the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs.

 

Letcher Central will have a legitimate Top 10 5A team IMO. The Cougars return Charlie Banks at QB, the kid is tough as nails and makes plays. They also return nearly everyone else from a Sophomore and Junior heavy team last year. I fully expect LCC to be the best 5A team in the mountains, but I also don't expect them to be able to come close to matching up with Highlands/CCH.

 

Johnson Central will not be "down", but also don't expect to see a JC team equivalent to the 2006 squad that made the state semi's and gave CCH fits until late in the second half. The Eagles return alot of experience on offense, but they will need some major improvement on defense, particularly against the run, to battle with the 5A big boys.

They also could play in their correct class according to enrollment. Maybe it would be a little more competitive for them.

 

How would both schools moving down (CCH to 4A and HHS to 3A, I think) make things "more competitive for them?"

They also could play in their correct class according to enrollment. Maybe it would be a little more competitive for them.
You do have to be kidding. It would be just the opposite. :lol:
You beat me to that one because that is what I was going to say too. But from what I understand after this year they will be back in their correct class.
Don't get your hopes up on that.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.