Bottoms Resigns

Yeah, it was great that he got to go to Notre Dame junior day. But he was still a member of the BASKETBALL team. The kid missed practice, the weekend before the district tournament. He got back, and got disciplined.

I applaud the coach for doing it too. You cannot show favoritism. I am sure ANY of the players that skipped practive would have been punished. the punishment was not to severe either, I think he did not get to start or something. It was totally meaningless into the outcome of the game (s).

Boyle did got back to back in 98-99. But, they had a great player. One of the best ever in the 12th region, who I think BC should go after to be their next coach.

You don't punish a play for taking advantage of an opportunity to further his education. It is an honor to get invited to something like that especially a school with the traditon and history of Notre Dame. In this case he knew what was going on and it was a one shot deal. What if the school was prepared to offer the young man a scholarship on the visit. We are talking about practice, not a game practice....from the mouth of A.I.

If the kid misses to attend his cousin birthday party...punish him

If the kid misses to attend junior day at a MAJOR university....have him do extra conditioning or shooting practice.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His information goes back to the 1999-2000 season. Boyle went to the state tournament in 1998 and 1999. They had a sharp drop in talent after that season, which led to the worst of Mike Pittman's teams.

I see what you are saying. But that would be like stating UK has never been to a final 4, if you were allowed to use the years 1999 through 2008. My point is they did it before Bottoms and they will do it after him. He didn't build the program.

SCotty Bottoms is a class act and did a great job while he was at Boyle. Went to state once, regional final once, regional semi's twice, good luck to Coach Bottoms at whatever he decides to do. If he wants should be a great coach somewhere else!

Scott is a Referee.

I don't care what school you support there are always the problem parents. And if you don't have the administration to stand behind your coaches decision then maybe you should look for a change at the top instead of for a coaching change.

You don't punish a play for taking advantage of an opportunity to further his education. It is an honor to get invited to something like that especially a school with the traditon and history of Notre Dame. In this case he knew what was going on and it was a one shot deal. What if the school was prepared to offer the young man a scholarship on the visit. We are talking about practice, not a game practice....from the mouth of A.I.

If the kid misses to attend his cousin birthday party...punish him

If the kid misses to attend junior day at a MAJOR university....have him do extra conditioning or shooting practice.

Are you kidding me? If that is his intentions then DON'T JOIN THE BASKETBALL TEAM!!! The point is that he was committed to playing on the basketball team and then he missed practice. Period. Serious death in the family? Yes... Miss practice. College visit? No way... Schedule it some other time. They had the biggest game of their season coming up and he skips. You think he gained any respect with his team? Doubt it....

Are you kidding me? If that is his intentions then DON'T JOIN THE BASKETBALL TEAM!!! The point is that he was committed to playing on the basketball team and then he missed practice. Period. Serious death in the family? Yes... Miss practice. College visit? No way... Schedule it some other time. They had the biggest game of their season coming up and he skips. You think he gained any respect with his team? Doubt it....

HS kids aren't on scholarship to play one sport and one sport only. While I may not agree with Coach Bottoms' stance, I respect it as long as it's consistent. But I do think exceptions have to be made, especially in the case of a college visit.

About Aumiller, he went to Notre Dame the weekend leading into the district tournament, correct? What was the "big" punishment? He didn't start a district semifinal with Garrard County, a game Boyle won by 20. He did play quite a bit during the game. I'm sure he was fussed at and likely had some extra conditioning, but is it really worth this whole fuss? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems much ado about nothing.

I agree. Policy is policy. Missed practice ( excused or not ) usually has conseqences. If you don't do this, kids will miss practice on a regular basis for all kinds of excuses. Doesn't have to be considered punishment, just following policy.

As far as the parents getting mad and head-hunting, well that is the second oldest professian in history next to second guessing. Shame on the administration for falling victim to these actions.

Good Luck Coach Bottoms and Congrates for a job well done...:thumb:

About Aumiller, he went to Notre Dame the weekend leading into the district tournament, correct? What was the "big" punishment? He didn't start a district semifinal with Garrard County, a game Boyle won by 20. He did play quite a bit during the game. I'm sure he was fussed at and likely had some extra conditioning, but is it really worth this whole fuss? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems much ado about nothing.

Couldn't agree with you two anymore. I don't think referring to a quote by A.I. is anything to brag about either. He ain't exactly a role model.

Amen! I agree. I understand him being punished for missing practice but he did play in every game. I just don't understand why the administration is not supporting him more. This just all seems so silly!

I have been doing some checking to, I have been standing at the courthouse waiting to see the doctor and his wife for a lawsuit. They have not made it yet. Just another ploy by some parents to run off another good coach. They were openly saying that if Burkich did not get rid of him they would do what ever it took to get rid of him. Things must change for Boyle to be good in athletics again.

Rebel man why would you be standing at the courthouse waiting for a parent?

Also if Bottoms had went to bat for the doctors kid like he did his guard( the Danville transfer) to save his rear, then this conservation would not be happening. See thats what its all about. If you are gonna be a hardcore coach, then just know that everyone is watching with a microscope. And I mean everyone. ;)

Dreamland, I am just saying i think that they were blowing smoke.My point was and you would agreethat they got his head and it was probably a scare tatic.I agree with you that there is more to the story that we don't know. The parents got what they wanted and we may never hear the rest of the story. I have not heard about the point guard????What happened there?