Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tim Phillips...

Featured Replies

I know he is going ino his senior season, but at this point in his career where would you rank him among the best of Trinity's Running backs?

 

I know that since 2000 I can't think of anyone that I think has been better. There were some great backs on each team since then, but Tim, in my opinion, is better than all of them.

 

What are your thoughts?

Right now, #2...depending on this season, I think he has a solid shot at being #1.

 

Hennessey being #1 right now.

  • Author
Right now, #2...depending on this season, I think he has a solid shot at being #1.

 

Hennessey being #1 right now.

 

 

I assume you mean Alan Hennessey?

I am very impressed by Tim Phillips and he's #1 of the T backs I've seen over the past 7 years. I know that people like to talk about size limitation as far as D-1, but I really think he has an unusual combo of speed, strength and quickness that will get him some D-1 offers. Just watching his demeanor without knowing him I would also assume he makes good grades and has great character based on how he handles success humbly instead of with cockiness. Good luck to Tim P!

Tim Phillips is an outstanding high school football player. Trinity's offense is perfect for a versatile player with his skill set.

 

As far as Division I college football, I just have my doubts. I know it will be hard for some people to believe, but because of all the hard work Tim Phillips has put in the weight room, he is a maxed out type of player. He weights 160 pounds currently and has a phenomenal bench press. This means he is about the maximum weight he can be right now. Heavy lifting and power lifting helps players gain weight. Tim Phillips can only gain "bad" weight right now since he is a little Incredible Hulk already. At his size, his best chance at the Division I level would be cornerback. I have been told that his speed is not blinding enough for a cornerback at a Division I level. It will be difficult for him to make it at the high level as an offensive skilled player.

  • Author
Tim Phillips is an outstanding high school football player. Trinity's offense is perfect for a versatile player with his skill set.

 

As far as Division I college football, I just have my doubts. I know it will be hard for some people to believe, but because of all the hard work Tim Phillips has put in the weight room, he is a maxed out type of player. He weights 160 pounds currently and has a phenomenal bench press. This means he is about the maximum weight he can be right now. Heavy lifting and power lifting helps players gain weight. Tim Phillips can only gain "bad" weight right now since he is a little Incredible Hulk already. At his size, his best chance at the Division I level would be cornerback. I have been told that his speed is not blinding enough for a cornerback at a Division I level. It will be difficult for him to make it at the high level as an offensive skilled player.

 

 

While I am unfortunately inclined to agree with your assessment f his DI prospects I am more curious as to how he stacks up against ther RBs from Trinity over the years at the HS level.

I have seen many THS running backs over the years. I never saw Alan Hennessey play but I know he was outstanding for his style and era. I also know that he was fast (track sprint champion) and had a solid college career at Georgia Tech. Up to the Beatty era he would probably be the best THS had produced.

 

Tim is, without question, the best since Coach Beatty has been at THS and in my opinion is the best that I have seen since watching THS since the early 1970s. Many outstanding running backs in THS history, but none that have produced so much, in so many areas (rushing, receiving, returning) as a Sophomore and Junior with 2 State Championships. He has set the bar very high for future Rocks.

In my opinion it boils down to Phillips and Hennessey. Alan was a bigger back relative to that era, probably weighing about 180-185 his senior year. Like Tim he had great field vision, cutting ability and good straight ahead speed. I believe one time against DeSales he touched the ball 6 times and scored 5 TD's. He was a competitor, tough and was poised---the same attributes that I hear Timmy has. Trinity did not score as many points back then as they do now, nor was their offense as wide open, so the numbers might be skewed in Tim's favor if you're looking at sterile stats. Alan got a scholarship to Georgia Tech, and was recruited by Jerry Glanville for the Jackets. A knee injury cut his college career short.

If Tim improves as much incrementally this next year as he has, then I would be prepared to say that he was the best RB Trinity has ever had. He needs to continue to get what he can out of a play and not put the Rocks in long yardage situations. One thing he can do that I don't recall Alan being as skillful at is making people miss.

In my opinion it boils down to Phillips and Hennessey. Alan was a bigger back relative to that era, probably weighing about 180-185 his senior year. Like Tim he had great field vision, cutting ability and good straight ahead speed. I believe one time against DeSales he touched the ball 6 times and scored 5 TD's. He was a competitor, tough and was poised---the same attributes that I hear Timmy has. Trinity did not score as many points back then as they do now, nor was their offense as wide open, so the numbers might be skewed in Tim's favor if you're looking at sterile stats. Alan got a scholarship to Georgia Tech, and was recruited by Jerry Glanville for the Jackets. A knee injury cut his college career short.

If Tim improves as much incrementally this next year as he has, then I would be prepared to say that he was the best RB Trinity has ever had. He needs to continue to get what he can out of a play and not put the Rocks in long yardage situations. One thing he can do that I don't recall Alan being as skillful at is making people miss.

 

Great assessment. Timmy is pretty hard to top. Very tough to compare eras. I also agree with the prior assessment about Tim's character and humility. Looking forward to his Senior Year.

I would think with a athlete like him with his quickness and strength that a D1 -DAA should take a chance and offer him.

Tim Phillips is an outstanding high school football player. Trinity's offense is perfect for a versatile player with his skill set.

 

As far as Division I college football, I just have my doubts. I know it will be hard for some people to believe, but because of all the hard work Tim Phillips has put in the weight room, he is a maxed out type of player. He weights 160 pounds currently and has a phenomenal bench press. This means he is about the maximum weight he can be right now. Heavy lifting and power lifting helps players gain weight. Tim Phillips can only gain "bad" weight right now since he is a little Incredible Hulk already. At his size, his best chance at the Division I level would be cornerback. I have been told that his speed is not blinding enough for a cornerback at a Division I level. It will be difficult for him to make it at the high level as an offensive skilled player.

 

 

FYI Notre Dame is courting him now....

I had heard a few weeks ago that an ND assistant was looking at some of his films. What exactly do you mean by "courting"?

FYI Notre Dame is courting him now....

Again, Tim Phillips is an outstanding high school football player.

 

Notre Dame and many other top programs are looking for players with Tim Phillips' ability and character, but they want that player to come in a bigger package than Tim Phillips currently does. Overcoming the size issue will be Tim Phillips' greatest challenge for him to be offered a scholarship to a big time program.

 

Your word "courting" is loose terminology.

Big difference between being sent generic letters and "courting" too.

 

How big is Phillips?

From what we here on this site, he is THE MAN. As in Superman.... Sounds as if he has all the strength, experience etc. to be ND's running back NEXT season..... most think he is the greatest RB to come out of Rock program ever...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.