February 28, 200818 yr Unfortunately, the term global warming has been reduced to "pop-culture-lingo". So, now that it has taken on the status of a "fad issue", those who want to ridicule the premise are completely dismissing a much larger issue. There is no greater destroyer of the Earth's resources than human beings. No other genus invents cars, drills for oil, builds factories to spew toxins into the air, ravages forests, eliminates land, crowds thousands (or millions) of people into a few square miles. Like it or not, we control the environment. Maybe we don't control the temperture like we would a thermostat, but our habits and behaviors definitely contribute to the depletion of the Earth's resources. So, what should we do, ride bikes and walk everywhere? What exactly would you like to see done?
February 28, 200818 yr Translation - can't. Translation - dont feel like giving or receiving crap today.
February 28, 200818 yr You know, P&R forum is a big enough pain to moderate without adding two additional Ft. Thomas pains. :irked:
February 28, 200818 yr I sure hope that the car companies can keep coming up with better and cleaner ways to fuel automobiles. And they will (actually they are working on it now) because it is profitable. I just don't want the government forcing them to do anything. Also, RTS, I take some offense to this.... So, what should we do, ride bikes and walk everywhere? What exactly would you like to see done? Why not? Surely you aren't going to argue that saving energy is bad?
February 28, 200818 yr You know, P&R forum is a big enough pain to moderate without adding two additional Ft. Thomas pains. :irked: Three is a crowd huh...
February 29, 200818 yr I sure hope that the car companies can keep coming up with better and cleaner ways to fuel automobiles. And they will (actually they are working on it now) because it is profitable. I just don't want the government forcing them to do anything. Also, RTS, I take some offense to this.... Why not? Surely you aren't going to argue that saving energy is bad? To the point of walking everywhere and riding bikes?
February 29, 200818 yr The oil is going to be all gone in a few decades anyway.Oil will never be all gone. The laws of economics will not allow that to happen.
February 29, 200818 yr To the point of walking everywhere and riding bikes? What's wrong with either of the above? If there's no practical reason for driving, what's the point? I know people who drive one block to get a gallon of milk. Walking or riding a bike has numerous benefits. Excercise is good for you. You save in gas. You lesson your risk of being in a car wreck. You don't emit carbon from exhaust into the air... It's so amazing to me that we're only a couple of generations removed from the day when walking to work, walking to church, walking to grab someting from the store was the norm. Suburbs have made America lazy and self-absorbed.
February 29, 200818 yr To the point of walking everywhere and riding bikes? Yes. Do you find something wrong with this?
February 29, 200818 yr Yes. Do you find something wrong with this? I spent a week in London England when I was in high school. We never took a cab or bus. We either walked or used the subway (tube) and it was great. IMO every city over 100,000 should have some sort of rail. L-ville, Cincy, Columbus, etc could really benefit from rail and a good high-speed rail system between cities would be great. Oil will get to the point where it costs too much to extract it and we will have to use something else.
February 29, 200818 yr Some one explain how nuclear plants cause global warming. I have a hard time believing that our atmosphere allows heat to travel one way more than another. For all the heat that our pollution traps, shouldn't an equal amount be blocking heat from the sun. I am not a scientist but how do gases only allow heat to transfer(or not transfer) in one direction.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.