Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Global Warming ......is over!!! Buy an SUV!

Featured Replies

What's wrong with either of the above? If there's no practical reason for driving, what's the point? I know people who drive one block to get a gallon of milk.

 

Walking or riding a bike has numerous benefits. Excercise is good for you. You save in gas. You lesson your risk of being in a car wreck. You don't emit carbon from exhaust into the air...

 

It's so amazing to me that we're only a couple of generations removed from the day when walking to work, walking to church, walking to grab someting from the store was the norm.

 

Suburbs have made America lazy and self-absorbed.

I don't know how close you live to where you work, but for me walking or riding a bike is out of the question.
  • Replies 104
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live at least 20 miles away from my place of employment. I don't wish to ride a bike or walk. I will drive.

You guys are making me laugh! :lol: You just want to argue.

 

Drive yourselves wherever you want. I don't care. I'll be happy to do my part, and maybe more to counteract your human effects. :lol:

You guys are making me laugh! :lol: You just want to argue.

 

Drive yourselves wherever you want. I don't care. I'll be happy to do my part, and maybe more to counteract your human effects. :lol:

Thanks for the generous offer, Rockmom. Please walk 14 miles a day to help offset my daily commute to work and back. I also visit my parents in Kentucky roughly every 3 weeks, which is a 600 mile round trip. (I will let you know when I need to work on a Saturday.):D
Thanks for the generous offer, Rockmom. Please walk 14 miles a day to help offset my daily commute to work and back. I also visit my parents in Kentucky roughly every 3 weeks, which is a 600 mile round trip. (I will let you know when I need to work on a Saturday.):D

 

 

I'll do what I can! And happy to do so! :D

 

Call me a tree-hugger...I have the re-usable bags for groceries, and recycle, and walk, and use public transit. :lol: My kids think I'm a crazy old lady. But....they'll appreciate it later in life I hope.

 

I really DO understand when people have to drive. But, there are many ways to contribute to the betterment of the environment.

Oil will never be all gone. The laws of economics will not allow that to happen.

I must have been absent from class the day they taught that.

To the point of walking everywhere and riding bikes?

Actually, this would probably be more beneficial to our health than the environment.

Hope you live close to work. :rolleyes:

 

Come on man don't patronize me. I know that many certain scenarios don't allow people to walk or ride a bike. I was just commenting on the fact that you seemed like walking or riding a bike is a bad thing.

 

You come off so anti-global warming (and you know me, I don't believe it either- I have PMed you asking for some excellent articles you posted) that your position almost looks down on any type of energy conservation. I know that a lot of people have to drive (if possible, I believe they should carpool, minimize how far they have to go) but for those that don't need to drive (like me) they should look for better alternatives.

 

I'm not saying that automobiles are the devil, just that your (perceived) position against any energy conservation is mind-numbing.

Come on man don't patronize me. I know that many certain scenarios don't allow people to walk or ride a bike. I was just commenting on the fact that you seemed like walking or riding a bike is a bad thing.

 

You come off so anti-global warming (and you know me, I don't believe it either- I have PMed you asking for some excellent articles you posted) that your position almost looks down on any type of energy conservation. I know that a lot of people have to drive (if possible, I believe they should carpool, minimize how far they have to go) but for those that don't need to drive (like me) they should look for better alternatives.

 

I'm not saying that automobiles are the devil, just that your (perceived) position against any energy conservation is mind-numbing.

I specifically asked ("To the point of walking everywhere and riding bikes"?) and you answered yes. How else was I supposed to take the answer?

 

No, I don't believe in the "human beings are causing global warming" mania. But I have said many times in the past that I have no problem with keeping the environment clean. If you haven't noticed that, you haven't been paying attention.

I'll do what I can! And happy to do so! :D

 

Call me a tree-hugger...I have the re-usable bags for groceries, and recycle, and walk, and use public transit. :lol: My kids think I'm a crazy old lady. But....they'll appreciate it later in life I hope.

 

I really DO understand when people have to drive. But, there are many ways to contribute to the betterment of the environment.

Public transit! You have any idea how much pollution those busses spew out? :D:p
I specifically asked ("To the point of walking everywhere and riding bikes"?) and you answered yes. How else was I supposed to take the answer?

 

No, I don't believe in the "human beings are causing global warming" mania. But I have said many times in the past that I have no problem with keeping the environment clean. If you haven't noticed that, you haven't been paying attention.

Then we are in agreement. But I can understand the frustration of the people on the fence about the global warming- the attitudes of a lot of anti-Global Warming personalities and people and the way they mock the idea of us helping conserve energy can certainly turn away some people who have not made up their mind on the issue.

Then we are in agreement. But I can understand the frustration of the people on the fence about the global warming- the attitudes of a lot of anti-Global Warming personalities and people and the way they mock the idea of us helping conserve energy can certainly turn away some people who have not made up their mind on the issue.
That's why I try to keep the issue of Global Warming as separate as I can from Pollution issues.

Believe it or not, I even use energy efficient light bulbs. I try to do what I can, I realize I don't always do enough. :thumb:

I must have been absent from class the day they taught that.
Simple supply and demand. As supplies dwindle, the price will eventually reach the point where it is no longer economical to use oil for transportation or heating. At some point, alternative fuels will become cheaper than oil and the demand for the remaining oil reserves will drop.

 

Consequently, oil reserves will never be fully depleted, they will just become too valuable to burn.

 

As oil prices continue to rise, the cost of plastics made from oil will also continue to rise until recycling becomes much cheaper than producing plastic from oil. Alternative materials will also gain a competitive advantage over petroleum based plastics such as aluminum and glass.

  • Author
Which is why the title of this thread is disturbing to me. Global warming may be "over" but it is NOT a reason to buy an SUV.

Didn't mean to disturb you with the title, just wanted to take a little poke at all of the Gore-a-holics out there.

Goldstein: A big blow to Al Gore

 

Al Gore won't like this. One of the world's leading agencies monitoring climate change says there's no link between global warming and the frequency or severity of hurricanes hitting the United States over the past century.

 

Scientists affiliated with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) released a report last week assessing 105 years of hurricane activity in the U.S., from 1900 to 2005.

 

They conclude "economic damages from hurricanes have increased in the U.S. over time due to greater population, infrastructure and wealth on the U.S. coastlines, and not (due) to any spike in the number or intensity of hurricanes."

What's wrong with either of the above? If there's no practical reason for driving, what's the point? I know people who drive one block to get a gallon of milk.

 

Walking or riding a bike has numerous benefits. Excercise is good for you. You save in gas. You lesson your risk of being in a car wreck. You don't emit carbon from exhaust into the air...

 

It's so amazing to me that we're only a couple of generations removed from the day when walking to work, walking to church, walking to grab someting from the store was the norm.

 

Suburbs have made America lazy and self-absorbed.

I would love to live where I was able to do this and not for environmental or health reasons. I just hate to drive.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.