Greatest Teams in NFL History

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Colts would get some folks riled. Here's my real list.

1. 85 Bears

2. 78 Steelers

3. 72 Dolpjins

4. 84 49ers

5. 93 Cowboys

Nope, you actually were very close the first time. Remove the 72 Dolphins and and slide everyone up, and add the Colts at 5.

Facts don't lie period!

72 Dolphins were undefeated, Was anyone else? NO!

72 Dolphins dominated their opponents on both sides of the ball. Proof of this is by leading the league in points scored and allowing the fewest points scored in the NFL. Can any of these other teams make such a claim? I do not know but I would be willing to wager that no one else can make that claim. This same Dolphins team made it to 3 Super Bowls in a row and had it not been for the emergence of the new football league that saw many of the 72 Dolphin stars leave the NFL for big pay days in the other league they might have made it to more.

The facts support the 72 Dolphins as the best. Now that is against their peers, today the game is much different, I realize this. The game has evolved from a run first league to a well balanced league. The players are bigger, faster, stronger and better trained today than they have been at any other time in history. The only legit comparision is how teams did against the other teams of their day and no one but the Dolphins beat all takers.

Yes, they were undefeated in 72. The only team to do so, but that does NOT mean they were the best Team ever, and they weren't. Kinda like saying, there hasn't been a better College BB Team than IU in 30 years, it just isn't true.

Yes, they were undefeated in 72. The only team to do so, but that does NOT mean they were the best Team ever, and they weren't. Kinda like saying, there hasn't been a better College BB Team than IU in 30 years, it just isn't true.

Sure it does, they proved on the field they are the best, everyone else lost at some point. The 72 Fins are the best ever:ylsuper:

You would be hard pressed to be 100% sure there was a better team than the IU undefeated team, the year before they lost one game. So to go 62+ and 1 in two seasons, is tough to argue against.

I think the debate has to be factored in on what they did in the regular and post season vs. their competition. You also have to factor in the Hall of Fame players involved to get a good gauge on greatness from different eras.

Who had the most Hall people on some of these teams?

Miami Csonka, Griese, Warfield, Little, Langer, Bounicotti.

Steelers Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, Stallworth, Webster, Lambert, Ham, Greene, Blount

San Fran Montana, Rice, Lott, Fred Dean

Dallas Aikman, Irvin, Emmit Smith

New England All speculation right now but you could say: Brady, Moss, who else?

Chicago Dan Hampton, Mike Singletary, Walter Payton

9 HOF'ers, hard to argue against that.

Sure it does, they proved on the field they are the best, everyone else lost at some point. The 72 Fins are the best ever:ylsuper:

I've mentioned it before, I'm not a big NFL fan so I don't have bias against the Dolphins, but while they were the best in 72 I highly doubt they could win a game in todays league (well, maybe a few).

I've mentioned it before, I'm not a big NFL fan so I don't have bias against the Dolphins, but while they were the best in 72 I highly doubt they could win a game in todays league (well, maybe a few).

They would beat the current Dolphins' team. :lol:

However if you look at any "experts" list you will see that IU squad listed in the top 5 easily. They are in the same conversation as UCLA with Alcindor and later with Walton. They are in the same discussion as The Fabulous Five from UK or UNC of '82.

However if you look at any "experts" list you will see that IU squad listed in the top 5 easily. They are in the same conversation as UCLA with Alcindor and later with Walton. They are in the same discussion as The Fabulous Five from UK or UNC of '82.

Thats my point...Top five isn't #1.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/greatestcollegebasketball.html