Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should college athletes be paid?

Featured Replies

I think they should be given some spending money to offset their inability to get a job. Maybe $50.00 per week as a meal allowance.

 

Other than that ido not think they should be paid.

 

I agree they should be given a meal allowance. Some of the kids don't have the money to buy their own food so why should we punish them by not giving them money to eat on, this could ruin their chance to make it big because they don't have money for food in college.

  • Replies 72
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple economics- they have a skill, and the university is making money off of that skill. Why shouldn't they be paid?

There are more universities that are making money then you might want to believe!

 

There are over 300 NCAA Division I programs that include men's and women's sports. 85% or more aren't making money. That is a fact. I'm a sport management grad student and study this stuff. At most schools where there is a program that makes money (football and men's basketball) it goes to pay for the other sports. If you pay athletes most schools can't afford it and we're only wanting to look at men's basketball and football. Title IX would require you to pay all student-athletes equally. I'm sorry, but as someone who had to bust their butt in class to get a minor schollie to college and still had to get loans to pay for the rest I think a schollie is enough for a student-athlete. Most of them are there for the free college anyway.

Listen, student athletes deserve some kind of compensation. Who cares that they get a scholarship, so do regular students. Athletes aren't allowed to have part time jobs either. It's not fair, where are they supposed to come up with the money? I know this may sound bad but maybe that's why some athletes end up in trouble with the law, since the NCAA isn't actually giving them money then they get money where they can and sometimes it may be through a bad way. Yes I can see the other side of it too but to say that athletes are getting paid by an education is ridiculous. They put so much out there for that specific university that they deserve something in return.

You would have to pay ALL ahtletes at every school the same for it to work, big program or small, because of recruiting. ALSO, you would have to pay for all sports, not just "revenue" sports. (This would soon be in court if you did not pay all.) The revenues they generate do help the schools a lot, but we work our daily jobs for a paycheck when it is benefiting someone else much more than ourselves, profits wise and in most of our cases. So, looking at it from a 9-5 work perspective, they are getting paid. Where we draw a paycheck, they draw room, board and tuition, plus the benefits of an education for a lifetime.

Listen, student athletes deserve some kind of compensation. Who cares that they get a scholarship, so do regular students. Athletes aren't allowed to have part time jobs either. It's not fair, where are they supposed to come up with the money? I know this may sound bad but maybe that's why some athletes end up in trouble with the law, since the NCAA isn't actually giving them money then they get money where they can and sometimes it may be through a bad way. Yes I can see the other side of it too but to say that athletes are getting paid by an education is ridiculous. They put so much out there for that specific university that they deserve something in return.

 

Well said, and I agree 100% They have completely different standards for student athletes and I don't think that is fair.

No they should not get paid. Also do not forget that they are getting paid after they leave college, because someone with a college degree makes over one million dollars more than someone who does not have a degree over their working life time. I can not remember exactly where I have heard this but I have heard a few different times.

I would like to see them be able to get a job, whether it is work study or for someone else. Kids on academic scholarships can earn additional money, I think athletes should be able to also.

I would like to see them be able to get a job, whether it is work study or for someone else. Kids on academic scholarships can earn additional money, I think athletes should be able to also.

 

I would have no problem with this. Give them a work-study or something like that but do not pay them to play sports.

I think the work/study thing was tried by the NCAA once before and athletes were getting paid really well to turn on stadium lights and such.

I might be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that a program was used like this and failed.

Too hard to oversee payment and too hard to keep tabs on the programs if the athletes were paid, IMO. Another can of scary worms if it happened.

I'm sorry, but no way. I had to work my butt off to pay for college. I dealt with people that hated me everyday (customers) as opposed to people who wanted my autograph like so many college athletes. I don't have anything against raising the number of scholarships or something like that, but sorry, no payment until after college.

No, because if you do one sport, than Title IX would mandate that ALL, would receive compensation and most programs, couldn't sustain that.

 

Considerable numbers for D1 football and many couldn't offset, the amount.

I was going to say, "Sure, why not pay them?" But ^ is a GREAT argument against it. Heck, it was so good, I didn't have to read any posts after it. ;)

I was going to say, "Sure, why not pay them?" But ^ is a GREAT argument against it. Heck, it was so good, I didn't have to read any posts after it. ;)
I like you....:thumb:
No, because if you do one sport, than Title IX would mandate that ALL, would receive compensation and most programs, couldn't sustain that.

 

Considerable numbers for D1 football and many couldn't offset, the amount.

 

:thumb:

 

Even if they got paid, it would have to be so low that a star linebacker at Alabama and a match shooter or swimmer at Prarie View State got paid the exact same ammount, so as not to squeeze out the little guys during recruiting. The scholly and education is the reward. Many kids out there (and their parents) are wondering where the money for next semester will come from. At least the athlete on scholarship knows if he/she keeps their nose clean and their grades up to par that they are covered.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.