Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pineville 54 Cumberland 52, 13th All A

Featured Replies

This must have been a great game. Congrats to Pineville. I lived in Pineville in 2006 and followed some of their games. Day and Strange have a lot of experience. I hope the Mountain Lions make it to Richmond.:thumb:

  • Replies 67
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They play Harlan tomorrow at Lynn Camp at 7, I believe. I hope this game and hopefully a win tomorrow will quite the people who have been down on the Lions despite being 18-2. But then again, I don't think these kids pay too much attention to what other people say... they just play.

Everybody loves to play the "no respect" card. Pineville entered the season ranked third in the 13th Region. I doubt anyone can name the last time that's happened.

Everybody loves to play the "no respect" card. Pineville entered the season ranked third in the 13th Region. I doubt anyone can name the last time that's happened.

 

Agree with that HDE. Honestly I wasn't impressed with either team in this game. Cumberland's offense is (was tonight) just plain bad. Pineville is a good class A team, but won't go far when the real Region tourny begins this year.

That will end some of the Cumberland "top 20" talk ...

They play Harlan tomorrow at Lynn Camp at 7, I believe. I hope this game and hopefully a win tomorrow will quite the people who have been down on the Lions despite being 18-2. But then again, I don't think these kids pay too much attention to what other people say... they just play.

 

People get down on them, and Cumberland, for rolling up deceptively good records against a weak schedule. You get respect when you put yourself out on the line, not by hiding to protect some nice record that won't mean squat after a first-round exit in the region.

Agree with that HDE. Honestly I wasn't impressed with either team in this game. Cumberland's offense is (was tonight) just plain bad. Pineville is a good class A team, but won't go far when the real Region tourny begins this year.

 

 

Ellaborate, please?

Don't say something and then not explain yourself. The only good thing that anyone has said about the Mountain Lions was a little pre-season hype. They have been over-shadowed by big name teams. The Mountain Lions are 18-2 and were expected to have a great season. They are a group of veteran ball players led by an outstanding coach. Don't be suprised if they prove you wrong.

 

The way some teams in the region are playing I would probably hold on predicting who is going to do good or not in the region tournament for a few weeks. By then Corbin, Knox Central, Pineville, Cumberland, North and South will have meet head to head (in most cases). This year has been wacky in the Sports World! Appalachian State over Michigan, Kentucky over LSU(not that big of a suprise), Gardner Webb over UK Bball, the NY Giants in the Super Bowl, ontop of a lot of other CRAZY storylines. Who knows, OBI or Red bird might win the 13th Region this year!(

Ellaborate, please?

Don't say something and then not explain yourself. The only good thing that anyone has said about the Mountain Lions was a little pre-season hype. They have been over-shadowed by big name teams. The Mountain Lions are 18-2 and were expected to have a great season. They are a group of veteran ball players led by an outstanding coach. Don't be suprised if they prove you wrong.

 

It's because the big-name teams bother to schedule other big-name teams.

 

And I think it was clear enough what he meant by "real" region tournament. You know, the one where if you lose your season's over?

Ok, think about what you just said. Or wait, maybe I should have explained what I wanted him to elaborate. I am not stupid, I have played in a "real" region tournament before. I meant he needs to elaborate on why he wasn't impressed with Pineville and why he thinks they won't do good in the "real" region tournament. Pineville has a lot of big name teams coming up on the schedule and they will be the underdog in most of them and I think they will do better than what most seem to believe they will!

How can people get down on Pineville when they beat the team that a lot of people are labeling as the regional favorite in the 13th?

Ok, think about what you just said. Or wait, maybe I should have explained what I wanted him to elaborate. I am not stupid, I have played in a "real" region tournament before. I meant he needs to elaborate on why he wasn't impressed with Pineville and why he thinks they won't do good in the "real" region tournament. Pineville has a lot of big name teams coming up on the schedule and they will be the underdog in most of them and I think they will do better than what most seem to believe they will!

 

If they do, it certainly won't be because of their "rugged" early schedule.

How can people get down on Pineville when they beat the team that a lot of people are labeling as the regional favorite in the 13th?

 

Because that team probably shouldn't be labeled as the favorite, for the same reasons Pineville is criticized. At least the Lions' schedule does get tougher, unlike Cumberland's.

Neither Cumberland nor Pineville played that well last night, especially Cumberland with its questionable strategy decisions in the fourth quarter, but both of them are very capable of beating anyone in the 13th Region.

 

I thought Corbin was a step ahead of everyone, and I'd still rate them No. 1, but after the blowout loss to South Laurel it appears there is no clear-cut favorite at this point.

Because that team probably shouldn't be labeled as the favorite, for the same reasons Pineville is criticized. At least the Lions' schedule does get tougher, unlike Cumberland's.

 

Schedule, schedule, schedule...Weak schedules and Peyton Manning are your whipping boys.

 

Cumberland still has North Laurel, Clay County, Bell and Pineville on its schedule, at least four of the top eight or nine teams in the region. They also play Breathitt, which was ranked third in the 14th. Before you say it, I know your point is they should play more good teams OUT of the region. They probably could have used one or two more good out-of-region games.

Schedule, schedule, schedule...Weak schedules and Peyton Manning are your whipping boys.

 

Cumberland still has North Laurel, Clay County, Bell and Pineville on its schedule, at least four of the top eight or nine teams in the region. They also play Breathitt, which was ranked third in the 14th. Before you say it, I know your point is they should play more good teams OUT of the region. They probably could have used one or two more good out-of-region games.

 

I can't help it. Tough schedules are a must, IMO, if you have a team that has great expectations. And, even if you don't, because it toughens you up.

 

I keep coming back to my textbook example of South Laurel's 04/05 girls' squad, which was 16-10 going into the 12th Region tournament after opening the season getting ripped by eventual champ LexCath and playing arguably one of the toughest schedules in the state. They finished 23-11, getting to the semis of the Sweet 16, losing to ... LexCath. In district and region tourney play, they beat their opponents by an average of 24 ppg. Seventeen of their 25 regular season games were against out-of-region competition.

 

If more teams -- boys and girls -- would be less interested in rolling up gaudy records and be more interested in making their teams better, you would see a lot more examples of this. It doesn't mean a heckuva lot to go 25-2 but get beat in the first round of the region (or district). I don't have this gripe just with 13th Region teams, but it seems to be a common thread all throughout the mountains, and probably figures heavily into why mountain teams rarely make it past the first round of the Sweet 16.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.