Top 5 All "A" schools

For what it's worth, here's how they stack up according to the most recent Litratings (I have only listed the highest-rated team in each region):

1. Elliott Co. 97.2

2. JBS 88.5

3. Shelby Valley 86.8

4. UHA 83.8

5. LCA 76.0

6. Bardstown 75.7

7. Metcalfe Co. 74.7

8. NewCath 74.6

9. Somerset 70.0

10. Cumberland 69.7

11. Murray 68.2

12. Lou. Holy Cross 67.9

13. Gallatin Co. 67.7

14. Brossart 59.6

15. O'Cath 55.1

16. Collegiate 53.9

I havent watched some of the teams play but unless Hazard gets blown out tonight againest June B then Hazard should be in the top five without a doubt. The teams I have watched I would say this is a good outlook on the rating except for a few I may let play musical chairs.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent watched some of the teams play but unless Hazard gets blown out tonight againest June B then Hazard should be in the top five without a doubt. The teams I have watched I would say this is a good outlook on the rating except for a few I may let play musical chairs.

I think Hazard is top 5 too. With the addition of Warren, who played his first game the Bulldogs last night, they have become a a solid contender, not only in the region, but in the state as well.

But Jim's rankings were just for the top rated teams in each region based on the CJ, and Hazard is not the top rated team in the 14th....yet. We'll know more after tonight.

I think Hazard is top 5 too. With the addition of Warren, who played his first game the Bulldogs last night, they have become a a solid contender, not only in the region, but in the state as well.

But Jim's rankings were just for the top rated teams in each region based on the CJ, and Hazard is not the top rated team in the 14th....yet. We'll know more after tonight.

Hazard's 80.7 would have them checking in at No. 5. Paintsville's 85.1 would be good enough for third.

No way Gallatin County is ahead of NCC or Holy Cross.

After tonights games against a couple of teams that Gallatin Co. played I will have to go with Gallatin Co. Gallatin played Holmes very close late into the game and beat Newport by double digits.

Gallatin Co. has won 13 games but have only beaten one team that has a winning record (Owen Co. twice). NCC and Holy Cross may not have the record that Gallatin does but I believe they play a tougher schedule. That's why I say both of these two teams are ahead of Gallatin.

All I know is that no way Paintsville ranks above Shelby Valley in anyway...It's something that has confused me for a little bit. I mean really what justification is there for this? Shelby Valley is by far the best team in the 15th region and they have proven that they can win away from home and out of the state, so how does that put them behind Paintsville?

What do folks think?? Based on the brackets in the All A State here are my semi-final picks for Saturday Feb. 2d.

1st game at 3:00 UHA vs. Shelby Valley

2d game at 4:30 Elliott County vs. June Buchanan

Shelby Valley and June Buchanan seem to have the 5-6 point upper hand on Paintsville and Hazard in their regions.

Can Rose Hill give Elliott County a close game in the 16th Region All A??

By close I mean 10 points or so.

Comparing scores against teams they both have played it looks like Elliott should win by 30 points??

GO LIONS--I live in Garrard County and I'm talking about the Elliott Lions and not the Garrard County Lions.

After tonights games against a couple of teams that Gallatin Co. played I will have to go with Gallatin Co. Gallatin played Holmes very close late into the game and beat Newport by double digits.

Gallatin Co. has won 13 games but have only beaten one team that has a winning record (Owen Co. twice). NCC and Holy Cross may not have the record that Gallatin does but I believe they play a tougher schedule. That's why I say both of these two teams are ahead of Gallatin.

To start this post I have to laugh at your tougher schedule post, I won't get into it but take a look at GC's schedule, it is probably one of the top 10 hardest A schedules in the state. On a quote unquote neutral court Gallatin beat Newport by whatever they wanted to, but in reality close to 20. Newport beats a supposed good NCC team by 15 something tells me GC would hold their own against NCC. This being said the Lit rating last year had GC an underdog to LCA we know what happened there. They were a double digit underdog to eventual state champion Bishop Brossart and lost by 1 in a game that they probably should have won. (Had the ball with 12 seconds to go down 1) Take what you want from this thread GC is under rated but to my knowledge no one has punched a ticket to Richmond yet.

To start this post I have to laugh at your tougher schedule post, I won't get into it but take a look at GC's schedule, it is probably one of the top 10 hardest A schedules in the state. On a quote unquote neutral court Gallatin beat Newport by whatever they wanted to, but in reality close to 20. Newport beats a supposed good NCC team by 15 something tells me GC would hold their own against NCC. This being said the Lit rating last year had GC an underdog to LCA we know what happened there. They were a double digit underdog to eventual state champion Bishop Brossart and lost by 1 in a game that they probably should have won. (Had the ball with 12 seconds to go down 1) Take what you want from this thread GC is under rated but to my knowledge no one has punched a ticket to Richmond yet.

Gallatin's schedule gets tougher later in the season. So far they have played 4 teams with winning records and have only beaten one of them. They have 4 teams with winning records remaining on their schedule (not including All A tournament). In comparison, NCC has played 5 in-state teams with winning records and they have beaten 3 of them. They have 3 teams with winning records remaining on their schedule (not including All A tournament). Looks like their schedules are very similar so if one is in the Top 10 hardest schedules, the other is too. All I'm saying is Gallatin needs to beat some of these tougher schools, just having them on their schedule proves nothing.

1.Elliott County-one of the best team in the state, but no real quality wins yet.

2. Shelby Valley-probably has the most quality wins of any team in the All "A" Classic with wins over Male, Desales, and South Miami.

3. JBS-Have everything it takes to win it. Size, Shooters, and a great guard who can penetrate and score.

4.University Heights-Have one of the best player in the state!

5. Paintsville-the three headed monster of Slone, Grimm, and Vanhoose give this team a legit shot at winning the tournament.

This one is really good!

Here is mine:

1. Shelby Valley

2. Elliott Co.

3. UHA

4. June Buchanan

5. Paintsville

6. Hazard

7. Lou Holy Cross

#1, #2 and #4 were at Rupp last year and Valley and Elliott return all 5 starters plus JBS returns at least 4 starters. Shelby Valley tops my list because of their win over KOB champ Male. Of course Elliott beat Valley in Rupp last year so they could have an arguement at #1 as well.

UHA is great team with a top ten player in the nation according to rivals.com and another great player in Edmonson. They have wins over Tates Creek, Adair Co., Madison Central and they lost to Male by two points.

Hazard beat a good Montgomery Co. team this year and played June Buchanan close.

Holy Cross beat PRP for crying out loud, they have to be pretty good!

Gallatin's schedule gets tougher later in the season. So far they have played 4 teams with winning records and have only beaten one of them. They have 4 teams with winning records remaining on their schedule (not including All A tournament). In comparison, NCC has played 5 in-state teams with winning records and they have beaten 3 of them. They have 3 teams with winning records remaining on their schedule (not including All A tournament). Looks like their schedules are very similar so if one is in the Top 10 hardest schedules, the other is too. All I'm saying is Gallatin needs to beat some of these tougher schools, just having them on their schedule proves nothing.

Madman you are basing eveything on won loss as pertaining to the schedule. If this is the case Scott County is not that good based on the number of losses they have this year as compared to last year. You beat the teams on your schedule you can't help what they do aginst other teams.

Madman you are basing eveything on won loss as pertaining to the schedule. If this is the case Scott County is not that good based on the number of losses they have this year as compared to last year. You beat the teams on your schedule you can't help what they do aginst other teams.

I understand. I'm just waiting for Gallatin Co. to get a marquee win, something they haven't done yet.

Gallatin Co. is very overrated IMO. They have not won against a good quality team all season. On Friday night, Carroll Co. gave the Wildcats a scare as they almost pulled off the upset. Despite a few bad plays by the Panthers, Carroll would have walked away with a win. Gallatin Co. is a good team, but to rank them at the top with the All "A" schools is stretching it quite a bit.

University Heights is going to be my pick to win the All "A" this year. Scotty Hopson is very hard to stop and the UHA coach is a great one. I believe they will win the All "A" but they are not going to win it easily. Best of Luck to all of the "A" teams as they prepare for the Region Class "A" Tournament! :thumb:

Gallatin Co. is very overrated IMO. They have not won against a good quality team all season. On Friday night, Carroll Co. gave the Wildcats a scare as they almost pulled off the upset. Despite a few bad plays by the Panthers, Carroll would have walked away with a win. Gallatin Co. is a good team, but to rank them at the top with the All "A" schools is stretching it quite a bit.

University Heights is going to be my pick to win the All "A" this year. Scotty Hopson is very hard to stop and the UHA coach is a great one. I believe they will win the All "A" but they are not going to win it easily. Best of Luck to all of the "A" teams as they prepare for the Region Class "A" Tournament! :thumb:

I agree with you on your assessment of Gallatin Co. I still like Elliott Co. or Hazard in the All "A".

Averaging the Cantrall, Litkenhous and Calpreps rankings:

1. Elliott County ... 66.6

2. June Buchanan ... 65.6

3. Shelby Valley ... 62.3

4. University Heights ... 61.1

5. Paintsville ... 60.7

6. Hazard ... 57.5

7. Lexington Christian ... 52.4

8. Bardstown ... 52.1

9. Newport Catholic ... 50.9

10. Covington Holy Cross ... 50.7

11. Metcalfe County ... 50.5