Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Track the Reds (Off Season)

Featured Replies

I think that Hamilton is the player thats going to give the Reds some pitching. You arent going to get to much out of Freel. But the problem with Hamilton is going to be teams being alittle leary about him staying heathy wich might hurt the Reds trade offers.

 

I agree, Teams are probably mentioning Bruce, and Hamilton is their counter. Maybe, maybe not, just an observation. Freel does bring alot to the table in regards to his versitility. But all I think you could get for him alone, is maybe a young minor league player.

  • Replies 94
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Reds don't add anyone in FA they will have to make a trade if they have any intentions of winning.

 

Nobody wanted to trade Pena but that turned out to be a steal.

 

 

I think that this trade is viewed as more of a "steal" than it actually was. Bronson Arroyo is only 23-26 over the last two seasons for the Reds. Pena has some major holes in his swing but his numbers look worse mainly because he couldn't find any at bats in Boston's crowded lineup. Overall the last two seasons he has hit .276 in 565 at bats with 24 homeruns and 81 RBIs. That is about one full season's worth--not bad numbers, and he's only 25. Bronson is very popular and charismatic as all get out but he's basically had one good half season for the Reds. Overall, both for the Reds and in his career he is a .500 pitcher. Not exactly a steal.

Trading Freel makes sense to me, but I strongly disagree with trading Hamilton. He has way too much upside to be sending him to another organization.

 

His upside is the reason he has the trade value. His past is the reason that the Reds should trade him if they can acquire pitching help. The Reds have no guarantee how'll he'll deal with his prosperity or if he'll fall off the wagon again. If there are teams out there that will trade a quality prospect(s) the Reds should jump all over it.

I think that this trade is viewed as more of a "steal" than it actually was. Bronson Arroyo is only 23-26 over the last two seasons for the Reds. Pena has some major holes in his swing but his numbers look worse mainly because he couldn't find any at bats in Boston's crowded lineup. Overall the last two seasons he has hit .276 in 565 at bats with 24 homeruns and 81 RBIs. That is about one full season's worth--not bad numbers, and he's only 25. Bronson is very popular and charismatic as all get out but he's basically had one good half season for the Reds. Overall, both for the Reds and in his career he is a .500 pitcher. Not exactly a steal.

 

Who does Pena play for now? He is a decent ball player but the Reds can find on OF who will have good stats with GAB. Arroyo had a bad year last year but he will rebound this year and provide a solid #2 for the team. He can win 13-15 games a year. Reds have Jay Bruce waiting in the wing... they need another solid starter to contend in the NL Central. Reds have tried the power hitting approach for over 7 years now.

As I mentioned a month or so ago the Reds are and have been actively trying to trade either Votto or Hamilton. This isn't new.

 

Obviously, if they can unload either Freel or Junior it is a win. I would think if either happens they'll be stuck with part of that contract.

Who does Pena play for now? He is a decent ball player but the Reds can find on OF who will have good stats with GAB. Arroyo had a bad year last year but he will rebound this year and provide a solid #2 for the team. He can win 13-15 games a year. Reds have Jay Bruce waiting in the wing... they need another solid starter to contend in the NL Central. Reds have tried the power hitting approach for over 7 years now.

 

Bronson may rebound some but his career record is 56-59 so I'm not buying that he will ever be a #2 starter--well, maybe a #2 starter for the Reds but not for most teams. Pena was traded to Washington and batted .293 with 8 homeruns in 37 games in his first crack at playing everyday for an extended time and he's just entering his prime.

Bronson may rebound some but his career record is 56-59 so I'm not buying that he will ever be a #2 starter--well, maybe a #2 starter for the Reds but not for most teams. Pena was traded to Washington and batted .293 with 8 homeruns in 37 games in his first crack at playing everyday for an extended time and he's just entering his prime.

 

 

The Reds need Bronson alot more than they needed Pena.

Reds making a serious push to sign Cordero (Brewers) as their closer.

Reds making a serious push to sign Cordero (Brewers) as their closer.

 

He'd be great but I still think when all is said and done Kerry Wood will be the Reds' closer in 2008.

He'd be great but I still think when all is said and done Kerry Wood will be the Reds' closer in 2008.

 

 

 

Why do you think this?

Why do you think this?

 

 

A. Free Agent

 

B. Won't be a starter again

 

C. Dusty Baker

 

D. Reds need a closer

 

E. Just makes sense...

A. Free Agent

 

B. Won't be a starter again

 

C. Dusty Baker

 

D. Reds need a closer

 

E. Just makes sense...

 

 

In my opinion, the only way the Reds get pitching is via the trade, or major $$$$. These free agent pitchers "do not" want to pitch in GABP. Hitters yes, pitchers, not if they can avoid it. That being said...Wood may give it a shot because of his ties with Dusty, but I would be surprised.

If it's true that the Reds are offering $12 million per for 4 years for Cordero I'd look elsewhere. I love Cordero and he is filthy, but that is a TON of money. As much as I like him, I hope he sticks in Milwaukee for the 4 / $42 that they're offering.

He'd be great but I still think when all is said and done Kerry Wood will be the Reds' closer in 2008.

 

 

All the Red Sox sites that I've been reading have him signing with them as a setup man for Papelbon if he passes a physical, especially if the Red Sox package Crisp, Lester or Buchholz, Delcarmen and a couple of minor leaguers for Johan Santana. Do you think the Reds would play more than the Sox?

All the Red Sox sites that I've been reading have him signing with them as a setup man for Papelbon if he passes a physical, especially if the Red Sox package Crisp, Lester or Buchholz, Delcarmen and a couple of minor leaguers for Johan Santana. Do you think the Reds would play more than the Sox?

 

The Sawx are reportedly offering something in the $5 million range with incentives. I'd feel better paying Wood $7.5 million plus "X" amount at 25, 30, and 40 saves than I would paying Cordero (again, who I really like and realize is NASTY) $12 million guaranteed. That is just a TON of money for a guy that will pitch in about 5.6% of your innings (82 innings out of 1,458). I'm just not sure the cost to value ratio makes that a good deal. However, if they get Cordero, it should end all / most bully concerns. Burton takes the 8th and Stormy slides down to man the 7th.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.