Russell 35 Lawrence County 24

UKBLUE1964

locker#311, I think I can speak for most Pirate fans, players and coaches when I say that the loss last year to Russell wasn't humiliating at all. It was a tough loss, as any loss that deep in the playoffs would be, but losing to that Russell team was anything but humiliating. I don't think that loss is a motivating factor for this group of Pirates and will not be one unless the two teams meet again this year.

FBALL, I know this Belfry defense is special, but I have been as impressed with the offense the last couple of outings as I have the D. They are really clicking on all cylinders.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

locker#311, I think I can speak for most Pirate fans, players and coaches when I say that the loss last year to Russell wasn't humiliating at all. It was a tough loss, as any loss that deep in the playoffs would be, but losing to that Russell team was anything but humiliating. I don't think that loss is a motivating factor for this group of Pirates and will not be one unless the two teams meet again this year.

FBALL, I know this Belfry defense is special, but I have been as impressed with the offense the last couple of outings as I have the D. They are really clicking on all cylinders.

I'm not being critical of the Belfry offense. I think it is very similar to Russell's this year. I think Russell's offense this year is very good. Run first with the ability to mix in the pass when needed. No real gamebreaking speed such as Jones, Howard, Gross or Clark. But good offensive lines and talented running backs who can get the job done. Belfry a little more of a power running team though.

I'm not being critical of the Belfry offense. I think it is very similar to Russell's this year. I think Russell's offense this year is very good. Run first with the ability to mix in the pass when needed. No real gamebreaking speed such as Jones, Howard, Gross or Clark. But good offensive lines and talented running backs who can get the job done. Belfry a little more of a power running team though.

FBALL,

I'll take that assessment, but I will add one minor detail. I thought until last night that Belfry didn't have those "gamebreaker" backs this year, I also think that a very fast Pikeville team did as well, we both saw taillights, and they weren't on US 119.

Watusi you are exactly right. I did make a poor choice of words when I said humiliating. And I do apologize to the Pirate fans, players and coaches. And I did say that it would be a added incentive only if they met later down the line.

Watusi you are exactly right. I did make a poor choice of words when I said humiliating. And I do apologize to the Pirate fans, players and coaches. And I did say that it would be a added incentive only if they met later down the line.
No apology needed, not at all. I think I knew where you were coming from, I just didn't want anyone to mischaracterize the Belfry mood.

This rekindled "rivalry" between Belfry and Russell is really not a heated thing at all. Its built on mutual respect, a lot of familiarity and anxious anticipation. I know both teams, including the fans, secretly look forward to the possibility of meeting up in November. Whether they admit it or not, I think both of us spend more time than we should throughout the year sizing each other up and thinking about the regional championship and playing what if. But if there is any bad blood, I'm not aware of it.

And along those lines, losing to that very good Russell squad was definitely nothing to be ashamed of. They were very good, and they had a better game plan and were better up front. Belfry made a good effort, but lost to the better team.

I don't see a problem with LC getting there starters some extra in the 4th quarter. More reps and maybe even gain some confidence for the remainder of the season.

I would agree. If Ivan had a problem with it he would have just turned the dogs loose again. He didn,t so that tells me he was okay with it.

I personally agree with what LC did.

No apology needed, not at all. I think I knew where you were coming from, I just didn't want anyone to mischaracterize the Belfry mood.

This rekindled "rivalry" between Belfry and Russell is really not a heated thing at all. Its built on mutual respect, a lot of familiarity and anxious anticipation. I know both teams, including the fans, secretly look forward to the possibility of meeting up in November. Whether they admit it or not, I think both of us spend more time than we should throughout the year sizing each other up and thinking about the regional championship and playing what if. But if there is any bad blood, I'm not aware of it.

And along those lines, losing to that very good Russell squad was definitely nothing to be ashamed of. They were very good, and they had a better game plan and were better up front. Belfry made a good effort, but lost to the better team.

Wow. How very true. Personally I am worried about the competition that Russell is facing prior to this possible match up. I have not looked at the figures this week but I think that the teams that Russell has played to date are a combined 5-27. Thats not good. If I had to pick Belfry or Russell right now I would say Belfry. Now after Russell plays Mason County I may see it another way. That one game IMO will tell me if we can compete with, Mason County, Breathitt, Belfry, and Louisville Central.

It's funny you would think there would be a lot of pot shots between Russell and Belfry but that has not happened in a long time. They both respect each other.

Dawgs need reps especially with a busy offense. Devils subs got to play real game conditions , if no body got hurt was win for both teams. Devils reload based upon backups getting time to play in real game situations. Devils also have kids out for football based upon staff get lot's of kids in the game ... all good ..

IMO, the russell defense is improving and stops the run very well. This may prove to be beneficial against belfry, a run-oriented team. However, russell has been rather vulnerable against the pass. This is primarily a product of the youth of the secondary. To be a contender this year, they will have to improve in the secondary.

I think Russell and Belfry respect one another and we had a wonderful experience at their field last year. I don't mean due to the win, but the folks were great, the facility is top-notch, and the whole experience was so positive because they made us feel so welcome.

As for the experience of subs coming into the game the other night at Lawrence County, most of those seemed to be Seniors who don't start and don't play on the JV. There were a few Sophomores and a couple Juniors, but most seemed to be Seniors that were in for a few plays and then out.

Old Rambler, you just keep posting on here. I enjoy your comments and observations.