Russell 35 Lawrence County 24

UKBLUE1964

This game could have very well been 49 - 8. It kinda' shocks me that Lawrence left thier first team in for practically a whole quarter after Russell had called off the dogs. Good game Devils.

How many teams leave their first team down by more than 4 TDs? Alot of them, mainly because it gives your team more reps and when the other team is better it allows you to get better by having all of the game experience you can get.

I would have been more upset if Russell left their first string in for the 4th quarter.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawrence is still trying to improve their "game speed" offense, thus the reason to leave their offense in as long as possible. They are working towards the playoffs and 1 extra qtr of reps will help tremendously down the road.

That didn't seem to be the reason their coach gave in the paper.

"Goldsmith thought his team did a good job making the game close.

“We really felt coming in here that we really had a good opportunity to win,” Goldsmith said. “We started out really well. We just had a little lull in the second quarter that hurt us.”

That didn't seem to be the reason their coach gave in the paper.

"Goldsmith thought his team did a good job making the game close.

“We really felt coming in here that we really had a good opportunity to win,” Goldsmith said. “We started out really well. We just had a little lull in the second quarter that hurt us.”

Your first quote was by the reporter not Coach Goldsmith. Nowhere in the article does Goldsmith say that.

From last night I realized that Russell is just one of those teams that is fundamentally sound and you cant make mistakes against them. Thats what killed LC last night. Too many mistakes against a sound football team will get you beat everytime.

On the other hand, after seeing Sheldon Clark, Prestonsburg, Belfry and Russell now all play in person, I still believe that none of these teams mentioned are even 3 TD's close to Belfry. Belfry is that good this year. I dont see them getting beat until maybe the State Finals.

Lawrence is still trying to improve their "game speed" offense, thus the reason to leave their offense in as long as possible. They are working towards the playoffs and 1 extra qtr of reps will help tremendously down the road.

:thumb:Nice post and observations/comments. That offense imo requires many, many reps and timing. I believe that LCHS will get better and the ones that say it is all working towards th eplayoffs are exactly right. Good Luck to the Bulldogs.

From last night I realized that Russell is just one of those teams that is fundamentally sound and you cant make mistakes against them. Thats what killed LC last night. Too many mistakes against a sound football team will get you beat everytime.

On the other hand, after seeing Sheldon Clark, Prestonsburg, Belfry and Russell now all play in person, I still believe that none of these teams mentioned are even 3 TD's close to Belfry. Belfry is that good this year. I dont see them getting beat until maybe the State Finals.

:thumb:I agree on everything that you have pointed out in this post.

How many teams leave their first team down by more than 4 TDs? Alot of them, mainly because it gives your team more reps and when the other team is better it allows you to get better by having all of the game experience you can get.

I would have been more upset if Russell left their first string in for the 4th quarter.

First of all I didn't say I was upset, I said I was shocked. I could of cared less either way -- I would of had an opinion either way. But I wasn't upset.

As far as the other team being better allows you to get better, I understand that. But the other team wasn't better, it was the second team. To me them were light reps and trying to get a good pump.

And for being more upset if Russell would have left thier first team in, is saying the game was already decided. All I was saying was, I was shocked

that Lawrence didn't let thier second team play. Hey, that was just quality playing time for their {Russells} 2nd team.

Russell is good, but not as good as they were the past 2 years. I really think they are running on a rich tradition of winning, and the confidence that goes with it. More so now than the last couple of years.

Russell is very good this year. To expect them to be as good as last years team is really not a fair comparison for a young group that is gaining experience every game.

The offense has been not as explosive as the past couple of years but very good. Particularly the offensive line.

The defense needs to pick it up. Last years defense was one of the best in the state. This group does not have the experince that last years senior dominated group did. They do have talent though.

For those who want to compare Russell and Belfry.

offense = even

defense = Belfry

Belfry's defense sets them apart. It is an experienced and aggressive group. Very fast and very physical. I agree that Belfry is the team to beat. I thought they had the second best defense in 2A last year and they return most of them. It will be very hard for Russell or Mason or Breathitt or anyone to knock them off. Difficult but not impossible.

I'm not saying that just because it is what I wish either.;)

Russell is very good this year. To expect them to be as good as last years team is really not a fair comparison for a young group that is gaining experience every game.

The offense has been not as explosive as the past couple of years but very good. Particularly the offensive line.

The defense needs to pick it up. Last years defense was one of the best in the state. This group does not have the experince that last years senior dominated group did. They do have talent though.

For those who want to compare Russell and Belfry.

offense = even

defense = Belfry

Belfry's defense sets them apart. It is an experienced and aggressive group. Very fast and very physical. I agree that Belfry is the team to beat. I thought they had the second best defense in 2A last year and they return most of them. It will be very hard for Russell or Mason or Breathitt or anyone to knock them off. Difficult but not impossible.

I'm not saying that just because it is what I wish either.;)

I couldn't agree with you more. And if it is Russell that they would have to come up against later on down the line, they will have added incentive from the humiliating loss of last year that still lingers in thier minds.

Tough loss for LCHS vs. a good Russell team. I agree that LC will get better as the season goes on.

From 3A contender thread.

I have had my fun and will not bother posting on a Russell thread again

That didn't last very long.:sssh: