Russell 35 Lawrence County 24

UKBLUE1964

After seeing both of these teams play I will say they both have very good teams and they both have a GREAT coach at this point and time I will say Belfry is better but its along time away before these two highly respected teams will have a chance to line up with one another they both need to look at the game at hand and play each week one at a time . this week I kind of thought that Russell might be over looking LC because I heard more about them and Mason Co then I did any thing else but Russell took care of the job at hand as they will need to each week in order to get a shot at Belfry thiers a couple of teams that Belfry better be ready for and that would be Breathitt Co. and SC . I think right now if any one has the better chance of getting Belfry it will be the bobcats of Breathitt I will know more about them in a few weeks because we play them all so we have allready played the # 1 and #2 teams in 3A and Breathitt is #3 right now but hey that just my opinion thats why they play the games . Good luck to both of these teams it should come down to a classic in 3A .

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No apology needed, not at all. I think I knew where you were coming from, I just didn't want anyone to mischaracterize the Belfry mood.

This rekindled "rivalry" between Belfry and Russell is really not a heated thing at all. Its built on mutual respect, a lot of familiarity and anxious anticipation. I know both teams, including the fans, secretly look forward to the possibility of meeting up in November. Whether they admit it or not, I think both of us spend more time than we should throughout the year sizing each other up and thinking about the regional championship and playing what if. But if there is any bad blood, I'm not aware of it.

And along those lines, losing to that very good Russell squad was definitely nothing to be ashamed of. They were very good, and they had a better game plan and were better up front. Belfry made a good effort, but lost to the better team.

I can honestly say. A lot of the saint X and T fans (not all) could take a lesson on how to behave in a way that shows EXCELLENT team support but is not personal. Way to go all Belfry and Russell fans. :ylsuper:

Red Devils better not overlook Mason Co (in playoffs) and Belfry better not overlook Sheldon Clark or Breathitt (in playoffs) before each have an opportunity to play each other.

1. Belfry

2. Russell

3. Sheldon Clark

4. Mason Co

5. Breathitt Co

This is just the east side of the state on who even gets to play in Louisville.

Once one of these teams get there, then Central or Tilghman awaits.

I was talking to some people from Lawrence co. and they said Russell isn't as good as they were last year in their opinion. I wasn't at at the game but said average at best. Most people around think Russell will struggle with teams like Belfry and Breathitt Co. I see Russell losing to Mason County. Wish the Devils the best the rest of the way. Coach McGlone is a class act and a great coach.

I was talking to some people from Lawrence co. and they said Russell isn't as good as they were last year in their opinion. I wasn't at at the game but said average at best. Most people around think Russell will struggle with teams like Belfry and Breathitt Co. I see Russell losing to Mason County. Wish the Devils the best the rest of the way. Coach McGlone is a class act and a great coach.

They are not as good as they were last year. But they are still above average. Very good I would say. They had to replace alot of three year starters from last year. And last years team was exceptional. This group is talented and gaining experience. Its tough to live up to the past when you have a successful program. All they can do is their best and not worry about what else anyone has to say.

They are afterall 6-0. And have been in control of most of those games from the start.

They are not as good as they were last year. But they are still above average. Very good I would say. They had to replace alot of three year starters from last year. And last years team was exceptional. This group is talented and gaining experience. Its tough to live up to the past when you have a successful program. All they can do is their best and not worry about what else anyone has to say.

They are afterall 6-0. And have been in control of most of those games from the start.

What areas do you feel need the most improvement for this team to make a third straight trip to Papa Johns?

Russell is a good team not great I have seen them play, not as physical as they have been in recent years and secondary not as solid. They will have a chance to get to Papa Johns but in the end don't think they have enough to get there. Defense must improve, as everyone knows defense wins championships.

I would honestly rate this Russell squad as "above average". They have a dominant player in Jones and I really like the way Abrams is running and making his cuts. But overall, I don't think this team is as good as the last two years. As soon as they meet up with a team that has a strong run/pass threat I feel that it will be their undoing. The Mason Co. game should be a dandy. I would love to see them threepeat to the finals, but we will probably fall to a better overall defensive team. IMO, LC seemed to do better with #7 at QB late in the game rather than the Goldsmith kid.

Russell didn't play Lawrence County last year so what are the Lawrence County fans comparing this years team to?

I'm just stating my opinion Grover. Russell is a class act program with great football history. This is one of the weaker teams I have seen but still have a chance to go far in the playoffs because the district is weak other than Mason.