Russell 35 Lawrence County 24

UKBLUE1964

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny you would think there would be a lot of pot shots between Russell and Belfry but that has not happened in a long time. They both respect each other.

Maybe Ram fans can take notes here when it comes to the Devils and Devil fans can apply the same for Rams? :confused: Who am I kidding. Not a chance. :lol:

Old Rambler, you just keep posting on here. I enjoy your comments and observations.

I agree we all need a good laugh every now and then! :thumb: I KID. *runs from Oldrambler's crossbow* :thumb:

When you lose Gross and then Clark, you're going to fall a little.

I apologize if anyone took my previous comment as a personal jab. I wasn't directing it at anyone. I was just stating that it should be obvious that Russell will not be as strong as they have in the previous 3-4 years due to the loss of two of the best players in school history.

I think, from my observations, that Russell will be much weaker in the individual athlete department. However, they do have 2-3 above average running backs and a great quarterback (who is still nursing an ankle sprain). Their offensive line is playing very well right now and the defense is above average. They don't have the athletes that they have had in the past on this side of the ball, but Coach Morris will always have a great game plan ready and will put the athletes where they need to be to be successful.

Their schedule is not strong again this year, but they are soundly defeating everyone in their path. They have a bad tendency to let the opposing team score first and last, but they are scoring more than enough in between to win the games.

What areas do you feel need the most improvement for this team to make a third straight trip to Papa Johns?

Focus and intensity for the most part. I'm not sure if that is something you can improve or just the personality of this group of kids.

Defense is the place with the room for the most improvement. Example - I believe Lawrence County's longest play from scrimmage came on a play where nobody covered a reciever. The physical talent is there. But there are 10 new starters on that side of the ball.

Hanging on to the football. Four fumbles is not going to get it.

The biggest thing to me right now is getting a Healthy Tyler Jones. It has been obvious the last couple of games that the ankle was not 100% or anywhere close.

I'd say Belfry is the definite favorite right now because of the veteran and very aggresive defense they have. Russell, Mason and Breathitt would be right behind.

I apologize if anyone took my previous comment as a personal jab. I wasn't directing it at anyone. I was just stating that it should be obvious that Russell will not be as strong as they have in the previous 3-4 years due to the loss of two of the best players in school history.

I think, from my observations, that Russell will be much weaker in the individual athlete department. However, they do have 2-3 above average running backs and a great quarterback (who is still nursing an ankle sprain). Their offensive line is playing very well right now and the defense is above average. They don't have the athletes that they have had in the past on this side of the ball, but Coach Morris will always have a great game plan ready and will put the athletes where they need to be to be successful.

Their schedule is not strong again this year, but they are soundly defeating everyone in their path. They have a bad tendency to let the opposing team score first and last, but they are scoring more than enough in between to win the games.

Thats a good summary of this team. Naturally there would be a drop off after losing that many players and some of the best players to ever play there. The biggest loss IMO was on defense. Wills at LB was aggressive and has the heart of a lion. He was also like another coach on the field. His presence in the middle is almost impossible to replace. Then you had Clark and Sizemore as three years starters at the Safety spots. Those two were equally as good against the run and the pass. The middle of the field was locked down. There is going to be a drop off while young kids learn and grow.

Russell didn't play Lawrence County last year so what are the Lawrence County fans comparing this years team to?

No but many LC fans travelled to watch Russell play in the playoffs. I haven't seen Russell or Belfry this year, but just talking to people around LC football they seem to think Belfry has the edge just because of their defense which very well may be the best in 3A this year. One thing for sure these two schools are as classy as they come anywhere in the state with outstanding coaches. I hope they play again this year in the playoffs, cause I will not miss it.

I agree we all need a good laugh every now and then! :thumb: I KID. *runs from Oldrambler's crossbow* :thumb:

I was a pretty good shot with a bow and all that. I am just getting tired of fishing this pond, catch nothing but non keepers around here :sssh::D. (j.k. -see ya TRR).

No but many LC fans travelled to watch Russell play in the playoffs. I haven't seen Russell or Belfry this year, but just talking to people around LC football they seem to think Belfry has the edge just because of their defense which very well may be the best in 3A this year. One thing for sure these two schools are as classy as they come anywhere in the state with outstanding coaches. I hope they play again this year in the playoffs, cause I will not miss it.

I'm not asking this to get any jabs in, just curious. How much did Belfry's 2nd teams play in the law. co. game.

I was a pretty good shot with a bow and all that. I am just getting tired of fishing this pond, catch nothing but non keepers around here :sssh::D. (j.k. -see ya TRR).

:rolleyes:

So now you admit to trying to go into Russell threads and stir up trouble. Kind of contradictory to earlier statements.

and Lawrence County. , trust me - LCHS was the reason, certainly nothing else (LOL).

"I think your gonna need a bigger boat":p

Belfry's starters played the first series after halftime. They departed after that with the score being 51-0 with 9 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter.

Belfry is tough to say the very least. My pick to go the Pizza Box and probably take it all - good luck. :thumb:

The road to the pizza box/oven/Papa John's Stadium:

1. Belfry's path leads through; Breathitt, Sheldon Clark & RUSSELL.

2. Breathitts path leads through; Sheldon Clark & Finally through BELFRY.

3. Sheldon Clark's path leads through BELFRY.

4. Mason County's path leads through RUSSELL & BELFRY.

5. Russell's path leads through Mason County & BELFRY.

Ultimately, All paths lead through Belfry or Russell. I give the upper hand to Belfry!

Devils are coming along fine ... By playoff time this team will be much different ...

2005 TEAM won by grinding it out and physical play. 2006 almost won with most of same formula with more big plays along the way. This years team will establish own id and be a challenge for anyone come playoff time ... It's encouraging to know so many eyes are on the Devils ...

The road to the pizza box/oven/Papa John's Stadium:

1. Belfry's path leads through; Breathitt, Sheldon Clark & RUSSELL.

2. Breathitts path leads through; Sheldon Clark & Finally through BELFRY.

3. Sheldon Clark's path leads through BELFRY.

4. Mason County's path leads through RUSSELL & BELFRY.

5. Russell's path leads through Mason County & BELFRY.

Ultimately, All paths lead through Belfry or Russell. I give the upper hand to Belfry!

Actually:

1. Belfry's path leads them at home vs. Sheldon Clark, on the road vs. Somerset, then back home vs. whoever surives due north.

2. Breathitt's path goes to the winner of Russell/Mason, then to Belfry/SC.

3. Sheldon Clarks leads into Belfry, into Somerset, and then into whoever comes from up North.

4. Mason County's leads them against Russell, against Breathitt, and then down South to Belfry/SC.

5. Russell's leads them against Mason, against Breathitt, and South to Belfry/SC

Breathitt and Somerset have the weakest districts....